Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 AM

93,386 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherm941 View Post
Any thoughts on private schools? I know CBA used to be thought of as the best and maybe still is. I heard Bishop Ludden expanded into arts and music. Music and drama would be a major factor in choosing a high school for our daughter if we get orders to move.
I'd say that any of them would be fine. Here's information in regards to Bishop Ludden's Arts and Music program: Bishop Ludden - Junior/Senior High School

Information of such offerings at Bishop Grimes are on page 14 here: http://www.bishopgrimes.org/assets/U...rseCatalog.pdf

and for other private schools: Academics | Fine Arts | CBA Syracuse | Christian Brothers Academy

Fine Arts - Upper School - Manlius Pebble Hill School
Performing Arts - Upper School - Manlius Pebble Hill School
Fine Arts - Middle School - Manlius Pebble Hill School
Performing Arts - Middle School - Manlius Pebble Hill School

The Church of the Living Word

Fine Arts | Faith Heritage School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherm941 View Post
Any thoughts on private schools? I know CBA used to be thought of as the best and maybe still is. I heard Bishop Ludden expanded into arts and music. Music and drama would be a major factor in choosing a high school for our daughter if we get orders to move.
I would put MPH (Manlius Pebble Hill) several notches above CBA in terms of prestige, academic performance, and the socio-economic background of parents (ie. educational attainment, careers, household income). That being said, CBA is certainly the more prestigious of the three catholic schools in Onondaga County.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I would put MPH (Manlius Pebble Hill) several notches above CBA in terms of prestige, academic performance, and the socio-economic background of parents (ie. educational attainment, careers, household income). That being said, CBA is certainly the more prestigious of the three catholic schools in Onondaga County.
I agree that if you can afford MPH, go for it. They may have aid and/or scholarships as well.

CBA is the most prestigious out of the Catholic HS's and is not a part of the diocese.

As for public schools, I believe that all of them have multiple offerings. It will be a matter of what you are looking for.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to correct the above - I meant to say there are 3 catholic high schools in the county. There are many catholic elementary schools.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:45 AM

9 posts, read 33,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is there anything that you are looking for in a community?
Hello! I am looking for a nice middle class community/neighborhood with schools that feel close knit. Also, my daughter that will be in 6th plays the violin so an orchestra would be a plus, but not a deal breaker.

Two weekends ago we stayed at a hotel for a few days and I spent hourrrrrs with the kiddies driving around. We went through Fayetteville, Manlius, Baldwinsville, Dewitt. I found a few homes of interest in Baldwinsville, Fayetteville and manlius.

I think I would like to visit Skaneateles and Jamesville still.

Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtoNY View Post
Hello! I am looking for a nice middle class community/neighborhood with schools that feel close knit. Also, my daughter that will be in 6th plays the violin so an orchestra would be a plus, but not a deal breaker.

Two weekends ago we stayed at a hotel for a few days and I spent hourrrrrs with the kiddies driving around. We went through Fayetteville, Manlius, Baldwinsville, Dewitt. I found a few homes of interest in Baldwinsville, Fayetteville and manlius.

All of those school districts are fine. Marcellus and Westhill are a couple very good small school districts in the area. West Genesee is a bigger suburban district that is also very good and has a very good marching band. All 3 are in the Western suburbs.

There are even smaller school district south of Syracuse in Onondaga Central, LaFayette, Tully and Fabius-Pompey, that are mostly rural, but have some suburban developments too. All are at least solid to very good.

East Syracuse-Minoa is an Eastern suburban district that has a variety of programs and is probably the most affordable of the school districts in that area. It is smaller than Fayetteville-Manlius, but bigger than Jamesville-DeWitt in terms of student enrollment.

Liverpool and North Syracuse have plenty of offerings due to being the 2 biggest suburban districts.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM

104 posts, read 214,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtoNY View Post

F-M schools have a good orchestra program. You can't go wrong in any of the towns you mentioned. You should visit any area you may be interested in before you come to a decision. Check out Cazenovia also. We live in Manlius near Eagle Hill Middle school and Enders Rd. school and are very happy as 2 year old transplants.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 AM

9 posts, read 33,002 times
Thank you ckhthankgod ans CTwoman for your input!

CTwoman, one of the homes we are looking at actually is on a road that ends behind the schools on Enders Road.

I am looking into the East Syracuse - Minoa disctrict as well today, thank you ckhthankgod for the tip. I missed this one somehow during my research.

Thanks again! I am sure I will be back for more help!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 AM

I would also look into the town of Camillus and the West Genesee School District which has an excellent music program. Camillus/Fairmount are solidly middle class .
Fine Arts - West Genesee School District - Camillus, NY

There is an area of newer homes off Ike Dixon Road near Route 5 that is near Camillus Middle School called Dixon Farms and Fox Chapel in the $200s range (zip code 13031). Pioneer Farms is also a nice development with homes ranging from $165K to $400K. Hidden Knolls in Fairmount (hamlet in town of Camillus, zip code 13219) is also a nice development of Whedon Road. Some parts of the West Genese School district are in the adjacent township of Onondaga which also has some newer homes.

Camillus and West Genesee Schools are pretty similiar demographically to the Buffalo suburb of Hamburg; although Camillus isn't as large of a town.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I would also look into the town of Camillus and the West Genesee School District which has an excellent music program. Camillus/Fairmount are solidly middle class .
Fine Arts - West Genesee School District - Camillus, NY

There is an area of newer homes off Ike Dixon Road near Route 5 that is near Camillus Middle School called Dixon Farms and Fox Chapel in the $200s range (zip code 13031). Pioneer Farms is also a nice development with homes ranging from $165K to $400K. Hidden Knolls in Fairmount (hamlet in town of Camillus, zip code 13219) is also a nice development of Whedon Road. Some parts of the West Genese School district are in the adjacent township of Onondaga which also has some newer homes.

Camillus and West Genesee Schools are pretty similiar demographically to the Buffalo suburb of Hamburg; although Camillus isn't as large of a town.
I agree with West Genny and parts of Westvale in the town of Geddes are in that school district. http://www.cnyhomes.com/Listing/Search/search.cgi

Is there anything else you are looking for in a community PAtoNY?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-08-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area