Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 05:55 PM

54 posts, read 160,339 times

Advertisements

I've been lingering in the shadows of the Syracuse forum (among others). I'm currently in the process of researching various MSW (Masters in Social Work) programs around the country and Syracuse seems to be a possibility.

In looking at the threads, I've learned more about Syracuse than I knew beforehand, but I wouldn't say I have a good understanding of what the city is really like. I'm hoping you can fill in the spaces.

I'm in my early thirties and would be coming from Minneapolis, where I've spent my life thus far. So, your snow and winters don't worry me at all. Some of the things I'm more concerned about are:

-I have a dog and I'm narrowing the search to cities that I think would be good for him. My graduate school years will likely be his elderly years and he's used to large parks with plenty of space to play fetch and nice city blocks for daily blocks. Personally, I'd love to consider NYC...but I think the noise and lack of grass/yards/large green spaces...would be rough on him in his old age. This brought me to consider Syracuse. But, how is the veterinary care there? Is there a 24hr animal emergency hospital? Rentals for dog owners seems to be tricky, based on other threads, can anyone speak more to this...especially since I'd be looking to stay near the university.

-Is it possible to live in Syracuse without a car? I prefer to bike and don't intend on bringing my car for the move...but I haven't seen any threads speaking in detail about public transportation, cabs, bike trails, etc.

-If I moved there and was sans-car, I'd obviously need to live near the University...but all the threads on here speak so negatively about living in the city and everyone pushes the burbs. Is this really necessary? Aren't there nice/safe areas in the city that would be possible?

-Being in my early 30s, and single, is there any social scene there for me? Or, would I be stuck with: a) young university kids and b) people my age who are all married.

-If anyone has visited Minneapolis, could you please compare my city with Syracuse to help me get a better idea of what Syracuse is like?

That's all I have for now...though, more questions may come.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM

93,365 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Well, here's the onyl 24 hour Vet i can think of close by:Veterinary Medical Center, Central New york: Emergency, Specialty & Critical Care: East Syracuse, NY

It is possible to live in Syracuse with out a car. Here is information on the Bus system we have here:Welcome to Centro - A CNYRTA Company
There are safe neighborhoods in the city of Syracuse. Be careful of people exaggerating about how bad it is here. If they only knew. Anyway, I think the Westcott neighborhood would be good. It's right next to the University and has a nice, little business area too. Barry Park and Thorden Park are nearby too. I also like the nearby Meadowbrook neighborhood just down Euclid Ave. and Meadowbrook Drive from the campus. They have a few apartments there too.

As for places to go to socialize besides the Westcott area are:Armory Square and Hanover Square downtown.

Like Minneapolis, the arts are pretty big here too. Our South side is similar to Minneapolis' North side. Our East side might be more like Minneapolis' Southwest side in terms of being the nicest side of the city, generally speaking. Not sure how to compare the other neighborhoods in regards to both cities.

Here's some more information you might like to check out:
City of Syracuse

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse University

Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce: Chamber Information

Downtown Syracuse

armorysquare.com Armory Square Syracuse New York

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott East Neighborhood Association

Westcott Community Center

Westcott Street Cultural Fair

Welcome to The Westcott

Meadowbrook, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greater University HillÂ* — Syracuse, New York

Syracuse Stage - The Professional Theatre of Central New York

Redhouse Arts Center Online

Welcome to the Landmark Theatre, Syracuse, New York

Syracuse Symphony Orchestra

Welcome to Syracuse Opera!

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

Onondaga County Parks

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

craigslist: syracuse classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Syracuse Rent Faculty (Non-Student)

http://www.syracuse.ny.us/parks/index.html

Hope this helps.......

Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
Yes, there is a 24 hour animal emergency hospital in Syracuse. On Erie Boulevard in Dewitt.

You would also be only about an hour away from Cornell Veterinary Hospital, probably the best animal hospital in the United States. (I had to take my dog there once when she was near death from a sudden illness and the local vet could not help her)

And there are many regular vet practices throughout the Syracuse area.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:56 PM

229 posts, read 691,391 times
I have been to Minneapolis quite a few times, and IMO, Syracuse is more gritty, although there are areas in Minneapolis that are similar. That is probably because Syracuse is somewhat of a Rust Belt city.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,601 times
Can anyone tell me about the galleries on south salina street? I want to apply for a job there and was wondering if thats a decent area. Also, is there a parking garage near there as well?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:23 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcuse73 View Post
Can anyone tell me about the galleries on south salina street? I want to apply for a job there and was wondering if thats a decent area. Also, is there a parking garage near there as well?
The Galleries is a pretty good part of Downtown. The surroundings aren't doing as well (the Warren Street side is plagued by empty storefronts). It's effectively a small enclosed mall, home to the main branch of the county library system as well as a bunch of office space. It used to have a food court, until the management decided they could make more money off it as office space.

The Galleries has its own small garage, and there's several garages within a short distance. The Warren Street garage sits a block north on the Warren St. side; the AXA/MONY garage is just south, as well as the one next to the Hotel Syracuse.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,601 times
Great thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: