Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 11:59 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Yeah, there's no way they're getting financing for a hotel (nor would Pyramid want to find a franchisee who would have the burden of maintaining and booking a hotel).

Under the deal, part of the further retail expansion may take place in the current underground parking garages. That space, though, is pretty undesirable (and who knows if there'll be demand for such space).

I'm guessing that Pyramid will negotiate some kind of PILOT (like this year's six-month extension for $1 million) that will free them from any future expansion obligations. And I hope the city has the leverage and good sense to stipulate that Pyramid's land holdings south of Hiawatha be made available to private developers at that time.
State agrees to approve pollution cleanup that could pay Destiny USA $54 million | syracuse.com

$54 million dollars may not be enough to fund a hotel the size and scope planned by Congel, but it sure helps...or, perhaps fund something smaller. I believe the proposed Armory Square Marriott totals $28 million, approximately 180 rooms. The stalled Oncenter Hotel proposal was approximately $50 million at 250-300 rooms. Perhaps he can build something more modest, something larger may require financing and the banks are not in a lending mood.

Per the P-S article, last two paragraphs: "Congel and his partners are not required to reinvest any money they receive under the brownfield program into the mall. But Aitken said the developer plans to use the money for further expansions of Destiny USA and to enhance nearby roadways and streetscapes."..“It is our hope to work with all levels of government to invest any financial benefits which we may earn from this latest brownfield project into further Destiny USA development and the surrounding public infrastructure to benefit the entire Syracuse lakefront area,” he said."

In any case, you have to admire this guy, he wins at everything!...don't beat me up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM

845 posts, read 1,688,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
In any case, you have to admire this guy, he wins at everything!...don't beat me up!
If the rest of us could afford to buy off as many judges as he has... we'd all be winning more often ;-) Seriously though... the DEC tried to stop this travesty and succeeded but Congel went to court (as usual) and finally own an appeal (surprise!) The DEC finally gave up on spending money to fight him, as so many other have given up. He still hasn't said what will happen to the 88,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil that they piled a few blocks away after doing their 'self-certified" so-called cleanup. Let's not even talk about the huge parking lots on Solar Street. They removed only the top few inches of soil and then capped it with asphalt. Reliable sources have informed me that the soil under there is still horribly contaminated yet nothing will be done about it.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Good news on the Syracuse job front...

State gained jobs in July

Syracuse seems to be one of the bright spots in New York State. I would imagine that NYC, Ithaca and Albany are the others.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Syracuse Airport Authority becomes a reality...

Airport authority becomes a reality

The authority will start meeting in September and have the power to issue up to $200 million in bonds. Pretty impressive amount of funding. I wonder if the bonds can be used for the proposed 147,000 sq. ft. expansion? Mayor Miner is absolutely right, it is a huge economic development engine for the entire community.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...s_lower-t.html

As much as I would like to see Southwest, there are other low-cost airlines (besides JetBlue that currently serves Hancock). If two or three of the low-cost airlines listed below fly into Hancock, it would be huge. I would love to see Virgin America as an alternative to Southwest, service is much better and similiar to Jetblue. I believe VA (and Jetblue) have a maintenance contracts with Primier Aviation at Griffiss Business and Technology Park.
  1. Air Transat -Canada
    Flights within Canada and from Canada to the Caribbean, Europe, USA
  2. AirTran -USA
    Flights from many cities in the Eastern USA (Bought out by Southwest)
  3. Allegiant Air -USA
    Flights between Las Vegas and several East Coast cities
  4. Frontier Airlines -USA
    Flights from Denver (major hub) to many US destinations
  5. Horizon Air -USA
    Flights within the USA and from the USA to Canada, Mexico
  6. Midwest Express -USA
    Flights within the USA
  7. Southwest Airlines -USA
    Flights within the USA
  8. Spirit Airlines -USA
    Flights within the USA (major hub Fort Lauderdale) and from the USA to the Caribbean, Central America, South America
  9. Sun Country Airlines -USA
    Flights within the USA (major hub Minneapolis) and from the USA to Mexico, U.K.
  10. Sunwing Airlines -Canada
    Flights within Canada and from Canada to USA, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean
  11. USA 3000 Airlines -USA
    Flights from Midwest and Northeastern USA to Florida, Cancun, Dom.Rep.
  12. Virgin America -USA
    Flights within the USA
  13. Westjet -Canada
    Flights within Canada and from Canada to the USA, Caribbean
I fly Jetblue almost exclusively, but I certainly want other options.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 08-20-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Comments on Rosamond Gifford Zoo launches tiger cub webcam | News from The Post-Standard -

The web-cam is a great idea!! CNY has one of the greatest zoo's in the country, its a great attraction. We hear a lot about Armory Square, Hanover Square, CCM/Destiny, University Hill area, Turning Stone, Vernon Downs, Onondaga Lake Park, and other proposed developments, but the RG Zoo seems to fall under the radar screen. It is an amazing educational resource and a great example of cutting edge sustainability. More attention needs to be paid to its marketing potential. I love visiting Rosamond Gifford Zoo, I bet a lot of other people would also.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
Quote:
CNY has one of the greatest zoo's in the country.
That is a bit of a reach. Greatest zoo in the county maybe, but not the country.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
That is a bit of a reach. Greatest zoo in the county maybe, but not the country.
If you read my post, I said..."CNY has one of the greatest zoo's in the country, its a great attraction". Also, your implication "in the county maybe,.." implies more than one zoo in Onondaga County.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
Quote:
If you read my post, I said..."CNY has one of the greatest zoo's in the country, its a great attraction". Also, your implication "in the county maybe,.." implies more than one zoo in Onondaga County.
It implies that it is the greatest zoo in the county because it is the only zoo in the county. It's a cute zoo, but it would be in the bottom ranking of every zoo I have ever been to.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
While I also wouldn't rate Syracuse's zoo very high National(I love zoo's) its a darn nice zoo for a small city.

I'd say compared to other small cities its was prolly better then most.

You wanna see a zoo that sux out loud try Utica. Absolutely terrible. Another crap one is Tampa. But with Bush Gardens so close I guess it makes sense. The area around the Tampa zoo is also pretty bad so I can't imagine that get many repeat visitors. I know I ain't got the nut to drive there again. The area around Syracuse zoo is pretty bad too but its so small I just do the eyes straight ahead thing and no worries.

I'm a huge elephant fan, figurines all over the house. All else being equal I prefer Africans but with Indians just up the road Syracuse zoo gets two huge thumbs up from me!!!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,284 times
On the topic of zoos... for those of you older than a certain age who grew up in this area I offer just two words: Monkey Island!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area