Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I do too, I hope this is not another false start like the nanotech plant proposed for Electronics Park. As I always say when it comes to upstate New York in general and CNY in particular, I will believe it when I see it!

If I remember correctly, someone had once proposed manufacturing wind-mill or solar equipment at the plant. Nothing came of that idea. On a cautionary note, I would be careful when a Florida real estate investment firm is involved.

I found this updated article, the plant will employ 161 to 189 people. Though it seems like a great fit (per the article), it is still a BIG drop in employment from the number of people employed at Magna. I guess we can thank the unions for that cluster ____!

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...l#incart_river

I wonder if Kevin McAuliffe is related to Terri McAuliffe, President Clinton's former campaign chairman. The McAuliffe's are from Syracuse.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 06-03-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:04 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I do too, I hope this is not another false start like the nanotech plant proposed for Electronics Park. As I always say when it comes to upstate New York in general and CNY in particular, I will believe it when I see it!

Btw, I would be careful when a Florida real estate investment firm is involved.
Especially South Florida!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:34 PM

Byrne Dairy to expand plant in DeWitt, create 50 jobs | syracuse.com

Byrne Dairy is planning to build a multimillion-dollar expansion and create 50 new jobs at its Ultra Dairy plant in DeWitt. The company plans to invest $14 million in new equipment into the existing building and build an $18 million addition of up to 100,000 square feet of space. The project will cost a total of $32 million.

Syracuse-based Byrne Dairy built the Ultra Dairy plant at 6750 West Benedict Road in DeWitt in 2003 for $13 million and expanded it in 2008. The company also built a $20 million yogurt plant and visitor center in Cortlandville (Cortland County).

It seems that food processing is experiencing growth in the CNY economy, particularly dairy and related products. Agrana Fruit US Inc. will invest more than $50 million in Lysander to build a fruit processing plant that will employ up to 120 people. Most of its products will supply the yogurt industry.

Per Gov. Cuomo, CNY is the Silicon Valley of Yogurt (or was it dairy).

Last edited by urbanplanner; 06-03-2013 at 04:47 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,616 times
LaQuinta Inn & Suites Planned for Carrier Circle Area

According to the meeting minutes of the Town of DeWitt Planning Board, developers plan to construct a 94 room hotel at 6595 Thompson Road near Denny's and the rundown Days Inn. The hotel would be 4 stories. Unfortunately, it appears there has been no action on the long vacant Howard Johnson's and abandoned gas station nearby.
http://www.townofdewitt.com/documents/774.pdf

Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 PM

Cuomo announces $60 million for SUNY technology collaboration | syracuse.com

SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, SUNY Oswego and Onondaga Community College.

The article notes that the four schools will be part of the SUNY Institute of Environmental Health and Environmental Medicine: which will focus on improving health through understanding the environment's impact on health and medicine. The institute will collaborate with Welch Allyn, Colden Corporation, C&S, O'Brien & Gere, and ConMed Corporation.

The article goes on to say that the project expects to create 400 construction jobs, 651 permanent jobs in the wireless technology field and other areas of development, and expanded student enrollments. It also expects to contribute to 20 patents and at least 22 new start-up companies in five years.

Question: I am a little confused, am I to assume that this is a new research facility that will require 400 constrution jobs and create 651 permanent jobs, OR the anticipated amount of jobs that are going to be created in the area at the various companies and colleges involved?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:55 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,398 times
Quote:
Question: I am a little confused, am I to assume that this is a new research facility that will require 400 constrution jobs and create 651 permanent jobs, OR the anticipated amount of jobs that are going to be created in the area at the various companies and colleges involved?
The four schools mentioned are getting a $15M slice of the $60M pot. My understanding is that it's supporting a variety of initiatives under that umbrella - some related to the funding of announced-but-not-yet-funded SUNY construction projects, some related to new programs which will involve new faculty... it's not a single new facility.

I believe part of that pool is to pay for laboratories in our new Academic Research Building in support of our new Environmental Health program, but it's still shaking out as to what projects are getting funded through it.

Details are still somewhat scarce since this was just announced.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Sorry for all the posts, but what ever happened to the proposed Felder Stadium for track and field:

Felder Stadium

The facility is proposed for downtown Syracuse along Adams Street adjacent to Central Tech. Is there a capital campaign underway or is funding in place?

Old 06-05-2013, 03:05 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,398 times
Quote:
Sorry for all the posts, but what ever happened to the proposed Felder Stadium for track and field:

Felder Stadium

The facility is proposed for downtown Syracuse along Adams Street adjacent to Central Tech. Is there a capital campaign underway or is funding in place?
Haven't heard much. The site you linked seems to point to a 2014 groundbreaking - perhaps it's wrapped in the next round of school renovations (since it's at least partially, it seems, on the Central Tech property)?

It's not quite along Adams Street, though; that would involve displacing the fire station on that corner

Old 06-05-2013, 03:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Cabela's is coming to the Buffalo area...

Bass Pro rival Cabela’s to fill plaza on Walden - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Bass Pro Shops never made it to Western New York, but one of its arch rivals will be coming. Outdoor sports and hunting retailer Cabela’s will be setting up shop in the former Wegmans Markets store on Walden Avenue in Cheektowaga, in the Walden Village shopping plaza across from Walden Galleria.
Finally! I've been waiting for years for them to come to NY. When I lived in Albany, they were going to build in Rottterdam, but that was axed once some big shot did a flyover of the area. I haven't been to a Cabela's yet, but can't wait for this! Nice to see they are using existing space instead of building another giant big box store.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Byrne Dairy is planning to build a multimillion-dollar expansion and create 50 new jobs at its Ultra Dairy plant in DeWitt. The company plans to invest $14 million in new equipment into the existing building and build an $18 million addition of up to 100,000 square feet of space. The project will cost a total of $32 million.
They jumping into Greek yogurt? Nice to see a local company expand especially an ag related one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area