Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 03:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Sorry for all the posts, but what ever happened to the proposed Felder Stadium for track and field:
This reminds me....any word on that sports field development that doctor dude wanted to build in Skaneateles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,622,137 times
New single family homes completed on Park Avenue

Construction was recently completed on three homes that will be sold to owner occupants on Syracuse's west side. To make way for the new construction, three abandoned and tax delinquent apartment buildings were demolished.

Links:

Before and After photos from Home Headquarters
http://www.homehq.org/getinvolved/Ne...tter_May13.htm

News coverage:
Three new homes part of Park Avenue revitalization in Syracuse - News 10 Now

Inside new homes:
832 Park Ave
832 Park Avenue - CNY Affordable Realty Inc.

826 Park Ave
826 Park Avenue - CNY Affordable Realty Inc.

820 Park Ave
820 Park Avenue - CNY Affordable Realty Inc.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 AM

93,448 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
New single family homes completed on Park Avenue

Construction was recently completed on three homes that will be sold to owner occupants on Syracuse's west side. To make way for the new construction, three abandoned and tax delinquent apartment buildings were demolished.

Links:

Before and After photos from Home Headquarters
http://www.homehq.org/getinvolved/Ne...tter_May13.htm

News coverage:
Three new homes part of Park Avenue revitalization in Syracuse - News 10 Now

Inside new homes:
832 Park Ave
832 Park Avenue - CNY Affordable Realty Inc.

826 Park Ave
826 Park Avenue - CNY Affordable Realty Inc.

820 Park Ave
820 Park Avenue - CNY Affordable Realty Inc.
Nice work! I hope it continues, because that neighborhood has great potential due to its proximity to Downtown. With Aldi being built close by and a bus line on West Genesee Street, it could become more attractive with more development.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nice work! I hope it continues, because that neighborhood has great potential due to its proximity to Downtown. With Aldi being built close by and a bus line on West Genesee Street, it could become more attractive with more development.
There is something special about that neighborhood that I find attractive and livable. I typically prefer very established middle to upper middle class areas like Shotwell Park in Eastwood, Winkworth and the Meadowbrook, Bradford Hills, Scottholm and Berkeley Park neighborhoods on the city's east side.

Unlike the afforementioned communities, Park Avenue has some gritty blocks and rundown properties, however unlike other neighborhoods that directly border downtown, it seems to be consistently getting better and violent crime doesn't appear to be substantial enough to capture newspaper headlines like the near west side, Hawley Green and the North Side neighborhoods. Park Avenue also appears to be attracting a diverse group of aspiring homeowners with families who value living in an area that is maintained. There is no question that the five sisters project (gut renovation of five, long vacant victorian mansions) which attracted largely middle class homeowners, including the school superintendent to the neighborhood (some even from the suburbs) served as a catalyst for other neighborhood revitalization efforts further down the street. One of the buyers of the 3 newly constructed homes is an African immigrant who runs a transportation business and has a wife and children.

There are several somewhat unique features of the Park Avenue neighborhood that make it stand out from other areas near downtown. The heavy tree cover and wide grassy medians along Park Avenue provide a nice buffer from the West Genesee commercial corridor. In some ways it reminds me of Chicago.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Haven't heard much. The site you linked seems to point to a 2014 groundbreaking - perhaps it's wrapped in the next round of school renovations (since it's at least partially, it seems, on the Central Tech property)?

It's not quite along Adams Street, though; that would involve displacing the fire station on that corner
Is there funding for a second round of school renovations? I would like to see the original Central Tech. building restored and put to good use, it is a gem! If I recall, the current renovations include the newer section behind the older building. If not a school, I always thought the original Central Tech. would make an impressive "new" City Hall.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 06-06-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 AM

93,448 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
There is something special about that neighborhood that I find attractive and livable. I typically prefer very established middle to upper middle class areas like Shotwell Park in Eastwood, Winkworth and the Meadowbrook, Bradford Hills, Scottholm and Berkeley Park neighborhoods on the city's east side.

Unlike the afforementioned communities, Park Avenue has some gritty blocks and rundown properties, however unlike other neighborhoods that directly border downtown, it seems to be consistently getting better and violent crime doesn't appear to be substantial enough to capture newspaper headlines like the near west side, Hawley Green and the North Side neighborhoods. Park Avenue also appears to be attracting a diverse group of aspiring homeowners with families who value living in an area that is maintained. There is no question that the five sisters project (gut renovation of five, long vacant victorian mansions) which attracted largely middle class homeowners, including the school superintendent to the neighborhood (some even from the suburbs) served as a catalyst for other neighborhood revitalization efforts further down the street. One of the buyers of the 3 newly constructed homes is an African immigrant who runs a transportation business and has a wife and children.

There are several somewhat unique features of the Park Avenue neighborhood that make it stand out from other areas near downtown. The heavy tree cover and wide grassy medians along Park Avenue provide a nice buffer from the West Genesee commercial corridor. In some ways it reminds me of Chicago.
I know what you mean, as there is something about that neighborhood. I believe that the SCSD Superintendent lives in that neighborhood. It would be nice if the neighborhood could keep the Polish character in that neighborhood with the Polish Home and Sacred Heart Church down the street(which still holds a mass in Polish, if I'm not mistaken).

In a way, you would think that it would have been an area targeted for gentrification for the reasons mentioned.

It does remind me of some of the nicer neighborhoods in Detroit too.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This reminds me....any word on that sports field development that doctor dude wanted to build in Skaneateles?
Here is the latest information I found. According to the March 21, 2013 article, the Planning Board's 5-0 vote on Nov. 16, 2012 declaring the project would have no significant environmental impact angered opponents. The board voted 3-0 in March to rescind its earlier determination that the project would have no significant environmental impacts. I don't have all the specifics, so I am not taking sides, but it is clearly regional in scope and intent. It is a pretty impressive project.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...teles_mar.html

Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
The four schools mentioned are getting a $15M slice of the $60M pot. My understanding is that it's supporting a variety of initiatives under that umbrella - some related to the funding of announced-but-not-yet-funded SUNY construction projects, some related to new programs which will involve new faculty... it's not a single new facility.

I believe part of that pool is to pay for laboratories in our new Academic Research Building in support of our new Environmental Health program, but it's still shaking out as to what projects are getting funded through it.

Details are still somewhat scarce since this was just announced.
Thanks for the clarification, the details seemed a little unclear in the news report. I wasn't sure if those jobs were spin-offs or a brand new project (s).

Btw, I am looking forward to that Academic Research Building.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Here is the latest information I found. According to the March 21, 2013 article, the Planning Board's 5-0 vote on Nov. 16, 2012 declaring the project would have no significant environmental impact angered opponents. The board voted 3-0 in March to rescind its earlier determination that the project would have no significant environmental impacts. I don't have all the specifics, so I am not taking sides, but it is clearly regional in scope and intent. It is a pretty impressive project.

Skaneateles Planning Board giving doctor's Victory Campus project a closer look | syracuse.com

Thanks! I wasn't sure what this was called. The map shows how massive this is. I can see both sides of the argument. Not sure how I'd feel if I lived there. I know how I feel about a hotel being built at the end of my street which is going to happen and I'm not happy about it. I feel bad for the guy who is losing his backyard and his wooded view.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:

In addition to the mixed-use development project and the proposal to make the Harriet Tubman Home a National Park, work is now underway in the Auburn area to renovate the long vacant and crumbling home of a noted abolitionist. The Opendore project was announced in 2012, however a legal notice was recently listed in The Post-Standard seeking MBE/WBE contractors, so it looks like construction is moving along. The Howland Stone Store Museum is expanding its footprint by renovating the former home of abolitionist Isabel Howland in the hamlet of Sherwood, 14 miles south of Auburn.

Museum website:
Howland Stone Store Museum

The Citizen of Auburn newspaper article:
Opendore project to restore part of Howlands' legacy

Post-Standard coverage (contains picture of home)
Late suffragist Isabel Howland's house gets funding to rebuild | syracuse.com

Other links:
http://www.howlandstonestore.org/Ope..._JUNE_2012.pdf
Following the Freedom Trail | Auburn and Cayuga County New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area