Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:52 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times

Advertisements

I'm a contented resident of the *village* of Manlius and agree with you on the Erie Blvd>Lyndon Corners and Fayetteville Towne Center... for lack of a better term... clusterf%^&.

I don't often recommend Fayetteville because of all that's going on... I'd definitely stick to the southern side of Route 5, if I did. It's a walkable village as long as you don't have to cross 5. The elementary and middle schools, sports fields (and children's practices), library, hardware store, parks and playgrounds, many of the shops... they're all on the southern side. Still it's not very convenient if you need to walk to the Towne Center to grocery shop.

I do, however, often recommend the Village of Manlius. Just the village and if I've never specified *just* the village, that's clearly my own error. I'm not a fan of $800K-per-home developments and the snobbery that IS associated with such... neighborhoods. Those are cultures all their own, with the same kind of mindset in nearly any development, anywhere. It's that of consumerism. I have yet to find that kind of lifestyle here in the village. They're regular people who have lived here since they were married decades ago, newlyweds and young families building a life for themselves, friendly professors from area universities, empty nesters... more without serious financial/class issues than most areas? Probably. I like that aspect- they can afford to take pride in whatever they choose to do, whether it be themselves, their vehicles and/or their homes. Not many do much more to their yards than mow and keep the weeds out of their long-standing, perennial flowerbeds. They're too busy working or spending time with their families to devote a lot of time to landscaping- and they don't have the money to "have it done." And they may not have the money to pave their driveways but they can either learn how to do it from a neighbor or keep the gravel high so it doesn't tear up the ground. We're just regular people who are content to provide a good life for our growing families and don't live according to status but who choose to take pride in how they live. I love living in the village and while the taxes are high, they're no higher than any other suburb in Syracuse. My taxes for the same kind of home up in the University area would be the same or higher... I lean toward higher after a few looks on Prudential's website last week.

We're within several blocks of the grocery store, drug stores, liquor stores, GREAT take out options, afterschool programs, a pottery studio, little shops, diners, music store, repair shops, places of worship, preschools and daycares, playgrounds, parks and ponds and streams with fishing, a gorgeous and extensive library, free community events and activities for children year-round, farmers' market twice a week, long-time ice cream stand that is a tradition for many thousands of people... with a strong police and fire dept. presence since they're located right behind the community center. Hidden but very, very much present.

Not to mention a district with more resources than most. Budgets are never skimped on, there will always be enough books/uniforms/supplies, the teachers are excellent, music/sports/extra-curricular programs are never in danger of losing funding, there's a strong school spirit, and the very simple fact that just saying you graduated from F-M sounds good on an application... probably not the best fact to base a decent portion of one's decision on but true nonetheless...

That makes it worthwhile to live here... in the Village of Manlius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 10:25 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I'm a contented resident of the *village* of Manlius and agree with you on the Erie Blvd>Lyndon Corners and Fayetteville Towne Center... for lack of a better term... clusterf%^&.

I don't often recommend Fayetteville because of all that's going on... I'd definitely stick to the southern side of Route 5, if I did. It's a walkable village as long as you don't have to cross 5. The elementary and middle schools, sports fields (and children's practices), library, hardware store, parks and playgrounds, many of the shops... they're all on the southern side. Still it's not very convenient if you need to walk to the Towne Center to grocery shop.

I do, however, often recommend the Village of Manlius. Just the village and if I've never specified *just* the village, that's clearly my own error. I'm not a fan of $800K-per-home developments and the snobbery that IS associated with such... neighborhoods. Those are cultures all their own, with the same kind of mindset in nearly any development, anywhere. It's that of consumerism. I have yet to find that kind of lifestyle here in the village. They're regular people who have lived here since they were married decades ago, newlyweds and young families building a life for themselves, friendly professors from area universities, empty nesters... more without serious financial/class issues than most areas? Probably. I like that aspect- they can afford to take pride in whatever they choose to do, whether it be themselves, their vehicles and/or their homes. Not many do much more to their yards than mow and keep the weeds out of their long-standing, perennial flowerbeds. They're too busy working or spending time with their families to devote a lot of time to landscaping- and they don't have the money to "have it done." And they may not have the money to pave their driveways but they can either learn how to do it from a neighbor or keep the gravel high so it doesn't tear up the ground. We're just regular people who are content to provide a good life for our growing families and don't live according to status but who choose to take pride in how they live. I love living in the village and while the taxes are high, they're no higher than any other suburb in Syracuse. My taxes for the same kind of home up in the University area would be the same or higher... I lean toward higher after a few looks on Prudential's website last week.

We're within several blocks of the grocery store, drug stores, liquor stores, GREAT take out options, afterschool programs, a pottery studio, little shops, diners, music store, repair shops, places of worship, preschools and daycares, playgrounds, parks and ponds and streams with fishing, a gorgeous and extensive library, free community events and activities for children year-round, farmers' market twice a week, long-time ice cream stand that is a tradition for many thousands of people... with a strong police and fire dept. presence since they're located right behind the community center. Hidden but very, very much present.

Not to mention a district with more resources than most. Budgets are never skimped on, there will always be enough books/uniforms/supplies, the teachers are excellent, music/sports/extra-curricular programs are never in danger of losing funding, there's a strong school spirit, and the very simple fact that just saying you graduated from F-M sounds good on an application... probably not the best fact to base a decent portion of one's decision on but true nonetheless...

That makes it worthwhile to live here... in the Village of Manlius.
You pretty much described why if I lived in the F-M School District, it would be in the Village of Manlius. It does seem to have a different vibe than the rest of the area, but it is still an area of high quality. Can't forget the movie theater that plays independant and some "mainstream" films there too.

I think the Village of Fayetteville is fine as well, but it doesn't have all of the things the Village of Manlius has.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:05 AM

623 posts, read 1,817,368 times
I don't know if my prejudices against FM are based from childhood, but I know they are no socio/economic. But I know when we looked at houses, and yes we did look at F"ville because the wife wanted to I found people were, I don't want to say on a whole, but generally snobby, and even there was no reason to be--good example as long as you're mentioning lexuses, we looked at a house and I went over to the woman standing by her mail box (with a very late model lexus in the drive) and wanted to ask about the neighborhood, from her reaction you'd think I had the plague. This upset me, considering I perceived I had a higher social status than she did--hell I even had a rented volvo v80 (nothing says yuppie like volvo)

But I am quite content with the choice we made in Cicero

Old 08-23-2009, 04:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times
I like the Fayetteville-Manlius area.

However, the main problem I have with it is that is feels much too rural.

The whole FM area is only about 25,000 in population. If it was closer to 50,000 I think I'd like the vibe there much more.

To compare, I was really impressed with the whole Perinton/Fairport area outside of Rochester. IMO probably one of the best areas in Upstate NY. It reminded me of what the Fayetteville-Manlius would look like if it grew into a full blown suburb instead of just a few developments surrounding a couple villages as it is today.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I like the Fayetteville-Manlius area.

However, the main problem I have with it is that is feels much too rural.

The whole FM area is only about 25,000 in population. If it was closer to 50,000 I think I'd like the vibe there much more.

To compare, I was really impressed with the whole Perinton/Fairport area outside of Rochester. IMO probably one of the best areas in Upstate NY. It reminded me of what the Fayetteville-Manlius would look like if it grew into a full blown suburb instead of just a few developments surrounding a couple villages as it is today.
I think it might be that way for the Fayetteville-Manlius area due to the fact that the adjacent Chittenango and Cazenovia areas are more rural in character and the people might want it that way in those areas. F-M would have to pretty much go up to the county line in order to get that big, but I don't know if that would happen.

Also, a lot of the developments in the F-M area are kind of hidden. So, it can make it seem like it is more rural than it really is.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:58 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
F-M is overated because its the yuppy center of area and yups always think wherever THEY are must be the center of the universe.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 834 times
Another decade old thread but the topic is still discussed today. Our reason for moving into the F-M area was nothing like what has been described here. We wanted our kids in a school where nearly every kid is involved in school. Where school was central to the community. I did not want a school system with kids whose families varied broadly in terms of how they viewed the importance of education. I wanted a school filled with children primarily from families where parents viewed education as a priority above most other things. And that is what F-M offered. It wasn't about getting kids into good colleges or anything along those lines. It also wasn't about fancy houses or anything along those lines.We didn't buy any house. We rented a tiny place. We wanted our kids to be able to think and for our kids to be around other kids who were enthusiastic by academic challenges. It's contagious. And so is disinterest and apathetic attitudes about academics. My kids spent their early years in a district where it was decidedly uncool to like to think or to be challenged academically. We wanted our kids out of there before they caught that. Not to get into a good college. Not to compete academically. To be around other kids who were enthusiastic about learning. Sound too naive? Nope. F-M fit the bill to a T.

We met many other parents who were making great sacrifices to have their kids in F-M schools. We met plenty of parents who were commuting 1-2 hours each day for work to have their kid in F-M. None of those families were rich. None were hounding their kids to compete. They just placed a premium on education. That isn't to say that a great education isn't possible in many districts. It is. So this isn't a comparison of F-M to other districts. The point is that it was not real estate agents who directed us (and others we know) to F-M. It also wasn't about wealth, snobbery, competing, or big houses. We rented. We lived in a tiny place. Our kids were encouraged to work collaboratively and to be involved in all kinds of activities for the sake of what they got out of the activity (not to look good for colleges). As parents, we commuted a long distance for work. All to have our kids in F-M Schools. Yes it was well worth it.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
F-M is overated because its the yuppy center of area and yups always think wherever THEY are must be the center of the universe.
No, its the best because you have Green Lakes nearby, no crime, and people with money that take care of their property.

Also, the Wegman's they have is the best in the area.

Too much to like about F-M, and it is better than J-D.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY Living View Post
No, its the best because you have Green Lakes nearby, no crime, and people with money that take care of their property.

Also, the Wegman's they have is the best in the area.

Too much to like about F-M, and it is better than J-D.
The last sentence is questionable and depends on what you are looking for. Both are generally very nice and have their more "lower entry" areas in terms of housing to get into those school districts.

Old 10-01-2023, 03:56 PM

24 posts, read 10,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astheysay View Post
Another decade old thread but the topic is still discussed today. Our reason for moving into the F-M area was nothing like what has been described here. We wanted our kids in a school where nearly every kid is involved in school. Where school was central to the community. I did not want a school system with kids whose families varied broadly in terms of how they viewed the importance of education. I wanted a school filled with children primarily from families where parents viewed education as a priority above most other things. And that is what F-M offered. It wasn't about getting kids into good colleges or anything along those lines. It also wasn't about fancy houses or anything along those lines.We didn't buy any house. We rented a tiny place. We wanted our kids to be able to think and for our kids to be around other kids who were enthusiastic by academic challenges. It's contagious. And so is disinterest and apathetic attitudes about academics. My kids spent their early years in a district where it was decidedly uncool to like to think or to be challenged academically. We wanted our kids out of there before they caught that. Not to get into a good college. Not to compete academically. To be around other kids who were enthusiastic about learning. Sound too naive? Nope. F-M fit the bill to a T.

We met many other parents who were making great sacrifices to have their kids in F-M schools. We met plenty of parents who were commuting 1-2 hours each day for work to have their kid in F-M. None of those families were rich. None were hounding their kids to compete. They just placed a premium on education. That isn't to say that a great education isn't possible in many districts. It is. So this isn't a comparison of F-M to other districts. The point is that it was not real estate agents who directed us (and others we know) to F-M. It also wasn't about wealth, snobbery, competing, or big houses. We rented. We lived in a tiny place. Our kids were encouraged to work collaboratively and to be involved in all kinds of activities for the sake of what they got out of the activity (not to look good for colleges). As parents, we commuted a long distance for work. All to have our kids in F-M Schools. Yes it was well worth it.
Very cogent remarks in favor of FM. It looks like you found a good fit for yourself and your family. If you’re new to CNY, be sure to get out there and see what the rest of the area offers in things to do. As we move forward in the 21st century, I believe CNY is due for a renaissance as eyes look north for places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area