Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 02:23 AM

7 posts, read 29,252 times

Advertisements

I just found this website. My husbond just received an offer from Syracuse University as a Professor. We currently live in Claremont, CA, which is a small college town 40 miles outside of Los Angeles. I am very worried about safety and some of the negative things I have heard about Syracuse. Where would you all suggest that a couple without children in their mid-thirties would feel welcomed. Claremont is a very liberal multi-racial community without allot of racial issues.

We were advised not to purchase a home for six months to get to know the area. Please help.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 09:22 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times
Safety shouldn't be a major concern if you move to the suburbs. DeWitt and Fayetteville are close to SU. I believe most of the Professors who teach at Syracuse University live in that area.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:55 PM

Are there any rental homes in DeWitt?

Old 03-15-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnt1218 View Post
Are there any rental homes in DeWitt?
I'm sure there are some, but not as many and not as cheap as in the city.

The problem is if you try living in the city or out in the countryside, you aren't giving the area a chance. Syracuse, the city itself has a depressing vibe. That's why most who move to the city do not like it. But you can live in the suburbs nearby and the city doesn't feel so bad since you can always escape to the suburbs.

Why don't I recommend most of the countryside? People who live south of Syracuse do not fully appreciate or understand the Syracuse area. Why?

Syracuse does not have southern suburbs. And I've come to realize through real life and on this forum that most people who live south of the city do not realize all this area has to offer. Why? When people arrive in the area from the south all they see is the ghetto neighborhood on the south side and a boring skyline. The area around downtown is rather rundown too. People think that's all there is to the area. They do not realize that most of the population lives north of the city or in the beautiful rolling hills just east or west of the city. Since you can't see those areas from the interstates, people write off the area as a big ghetto. It's sort of like taking your worse city neighborhood and exposing it to a rural area... without any suburb to hide it behind. For example if South Central LA was located right next to the rural areas to the east. If out-of-towners came to LA.... all they saw was south central LA next to the highway, then went downtown and assumed there was nothing else to Southern Cal. That's is how Syracuse is judged by Ithaca, SU students and points south.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:33 PM

It does seem like everyone on this website has a very negative opinion on the city of Syracuse. Which freaks me out. I have never lived in an urban community however, California tends to not be as segregated as the east coast. My main concern is the sterotype that many communities in upstate are not as welcoming to minorities regardless of class. Is that something we should worry about.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnt1218 View Post
My main concern is the sterotype that many communities in upstate are not as welcoming to minorities regardless of class. Is that something we should worry about.
Not in most suburbs around Syracuse IMO.

As long as you dress and carry yourself well, I do not believe you'll have a problem. The people who dress as if they came out a hip hop music video are the ones who might not be welcomed in some neighborhoods. There is an African American family on my suburban street and I've never witness them encountering any prejudice. I know one son "hangs out" with a white kid who lives in the neighborhood.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,889 times
Unhappy relocating

i,m a 44 year old looking to move to syracuse in a couple of months or in september witch ever comes first i need an affordable apt 1 bedroom good area max amount to spend monthly is 1000.00 a month need much less if possible for me and my boyfreind can someone please help us

Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
htn,

You shouldn't have any trouble at all.

There is a huge difference between the crime rate within the city of Syracuse portions of which are predominantly poor and black, and any of the suburbs in which crime is less than negligible and nearly all white. There is not much of a middle class representation in the way of blacks unlike what you're familiar with in California.

As a professor you should be highly regarded in any locale. However, you may find the suburbs to be a safer place to live.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 16,224 times
Default Moving to 'Cuse

I think renting for 6 mos. is a great idea. I grew up in Marcellus, small town America about 20 mins west of downtown. You will be amazed at how close the lakes, outdoor activities, beautiful hills and rural areas are to the suburbs. Look east and west. The Fayetteville Manlius School District rates among the best in the State on the east side as well as Jamesville Dewitt. On the west side, Westhill, Marcellus and West Genesee are great schools. North is very crowded in my opinion. Some folks live in the Armory Square area in downtown Syr, pricey but it is the little trendy area of the city to rent. Wouldn't be more than a 10 min drive to the hospitals and SU, even with traffic. You will be amazed at the inexpensive housing costs compared to LA.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:23 PM

Thank you for all your advise. We decided to taake a trip in May to check out the area and the University. There are rental homes in North Syracuse and Liverpool and Wescott, which location would you guys recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area