Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 AM

181 posts, read 509,495 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of the Tallahassee threads with interest. I will be moving there for work, and the threads I have read haven't answered some of my housing questions. Hope you can help me. And, if you know of any nice condo complexes which meet these criteria, can you provide their names and locations so I can do a search? OK, here goes:
:

1. I am going to work downtown, but I want to live futher away - I am not looking for urban or rural - definitely a suburban area

2. I want an upscale, professional area

3. I'm from the Northeast, so I'd like an area that doesn't feel "redneck" ish - not to insut anyone here, I'm just using a word even people from Tallahassee seem to use to describe the area

4. I want nearby amenities, like grocery and drug stores, as well as clothing stores.

5. I'd like good restaurants - I'm not talking fine dining like in New York City, but good solid restaurants with good food and decent prices.

6. I want a safe location - possibly a gated community but it doesn't have to be if the area around is very safe

7. I want some water around me, but if I can't be on or near a lake, I could be satisfied with a golf course or condo community with man-made ponds that can be seen from the apartments/condos

8. I want grass, trees and plenty of greenery

9. I am not a partier, so I'd prefer a more family-oriented area (definitely not a college student area) - something suited to 35-somethings and up

Thanks

Last edited by scarlett68; 11-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 01:13 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,139,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett68 View Post
I have read a lot of the Tallahassee threads with interest. I will be moving there for work, and the threads I have read haven't answered some of my housing questions. Hope you can help me. And, if you know of any nice condo complexes which meet these criteria, can you provide their names and locations so I can do a search? OK, here goes:
:

1. I am going to work downtown, but I want to live futher away - I am not looking for urban or rural - definitely a suburban area
Go north and east of downtown. Don't rule out buying or renting an actual house though - lots of nice smaller houses around for rent right now. If you want suburbia, Killearn/Killearn Acres will provide it for you, complete with golf course. It's a good area for kids too, if you have any of those. Lots of parks.

I live just off Centerville Road, a mile or two north of I-10, and work downtown. The area I live in is bordered by farmland and woods, but is still very much suburbia - just with more trees than you would expect, which is a good thing.

Quote:
2. I want an upscale, professional area
Midtown (Betton Road, etc.), or northeast area past (north of ) I-10.

Quote:
3. I'm from the Northeast, so I'd like an area that doesn't feel "redneck" ish - not to insut anyone here, I'm just using a word even people from Tallahassee seem to use to describe the area
You are a lot more likely to see Volvo station wagons in NE Tallahassee than pickup trucks. The rednecks tend to favor the west and NW sides of town, the south side is mostly black and working class. Sadly, and despite fairly liberal attitiudes towards race that prevail (at least in the city limits), there is a de facto economic segregation here.

Quote:
4. I want nearby amenities, like grocery and drug stores, as well as clothing stores.
The "new" Bradfordville (NE edge of town off Thomasville Road) has plenty of amenties...clothing might be an issue, just because of the size of Tallahassee that kind of shopping can be a bit limited. But there are lots of little boutiques and stuff at Market Square which is just north of I-10 off Thomasville Road.

Quote:
5. I'd like good restaurants - I'm not talking fine dining like in New York City, but good solid restaurants with good food and decent prices.
Those are peppered all over the place - again, as long as you don't expect NYC, you'll be fine. Most of the upscale places are either downtown or in and around Market Square - but check out some of the little places on the edges of town too, like Another Broken Egg.

Quote:
6. I want a safe location - possibly a gated community but it doesn't have to be if the area around is very safe
I think you would be very happy with a duplex or condo in Golden Eagle or one of the other gated communites in the NE. Crime rate is pretty low in that part of town. And it's GORGEOUS. Pricy, but gorgeous land.

Quote:
7. I want some water around me, but if I can't be on or near a lake, I could be satisfied with a golf course or condo community with man-made ponds that can be seen from the apartments/condos
Same answer! There are lots of little lakes and several golf courses in Tallahassee, but the nice/upscale ones are on either side of Thomasville Rd north of I-10.

Quote:
8. I want grass, trees and plenty of greenery
You'll get it. That's one thing this town takes very seriously. I friend of mine from Manhattan visited once and remarked that "this place needs a good pruning." I did not agree.

Quote:
9. I am not a partier, so I'd prefer a more family-oriented area (definitely not a college student area) - something suited to 35-somethings and up
Same answer - NE. Away from the campuses and off-campus student hangouts (west of down, Tallahassee is a very family oriented place, a good place to raise kids IMHO.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:22 AM

27 posts, read 82,824 times
You want to try to stay downtown then. Not neccisarily close to the university. Either that area or over in the North, East, and North East sides of town would meet your needs.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Thanks for all the help. I took a look over the weekend and liked both Killearn and Southwood a lot.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:00 AM

57 posts, read 848,324 times
I'm a resident in Southwood. Let me know if you have any questions! We love it out here!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:35 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,246,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett68 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I took a look over the weekend and liked both Killearn and Southwood a lot.

if commute times matter, you'll probably find it a lot easier to get to work from southwood than killearn.

just getting out of killearn to the highway can take several minutes. and thomasville rd is probably the busiest stretch of highway in the city weekday mornings and afternoons.

and you'll find plenty of amenities on apalachee pkwy; a little bit of everything within a couple miles.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:49 PM

I have decided on Southwood. I love it there. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:52 PM

57 posts, read 848,324 times
Let me know if you have any questions about Southwood! Good choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee