Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times

Advertisements

People can argue about how great Spring Hill(Hernando County) is or West Pasco, but I'd advise anyone thinking of moving there to do their homework and visit the area. There IS a reason it gets so many negative comments. The FACT is most people consider it an undesirable area. The drug problem could be the same as anywhere else in the country,IDK, but it just seems or is more pronounced in Hernando and W. Pasco. You can look at stats all day, but your gut instinct will point you in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 10:34 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
I cant speak for West Pasco, but I can speak for Spring Hill and Hernando County. The negative comments are mostly from people who have never been here, havent been here in years or otherwise don't know anything about the area.
When confronted with information contrary to their beliefs they dont usually respond at all. The area continues to grow with new businesses and a continual influx of new residents. I guess they know something that the negative commentators dont.

If you've never been here, you just wont know.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I cant speak for West Pasco, but I can speak for Spring Hill and Hernando County. The negative comments are mostly from people who have never been here, havent been here in years or otherwise don't know anything about the area.
When confronted with information contrary to their beliefs they dont usually respond at all. The area continues to grow with new businesses and a continual influx of new residents. I guess they know something that the negative commentators dont.

If you've never been here, you just wont know.
Keep thinking that if it makes you feel better.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Another stellar, well thought out and informative comment. The facts speak for themselves. The nonsense holds no water.

So, you keep on thinking that if it makes YOU feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Keep thinking that if it makes you feel better.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Another stellar, well thought out and informative comment. The facts speak for themselves. The nonsense holds no water.

So, you keep on thinking that if it makes YOU feel better.
I'm sorry I had to hurt your feelings. Seriously, I know how delicate you are. Don't worry though, people will still buy land in Hernando.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:45 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherside1 View Post
Here you go Captain denial:

In 2011 in Hernando County, there were 49 deaths caused by drug overdoses, the majority of which were
from prescription drugs. The most common drugs found in toxicology reports at time of death were
Methadone, Oxycodone and Alprazolam, (Medical Examiner).
• In 2011, 35% of Hernando residents surveyed reported they knew someone who had died from a
prescription drug overdose, (Alcohol and Prescription Drug Use Policy Survey).
• The amount of Emergency Room visits for prescription drug overdoses more than doubled from 2007 to
2008 in Hernando County, (Agency for Healthcare Administration).
• Ninety percent of the narcotics cases handled in Hernando are for prescription drugs and every category of
crime including home invasions and robberies are affected by prescription drug abuse, (Hernando County
Sheriff’s Office).
• Roughly every 3rd person admitted to Baycare in 2010 in Hernando County for substance abuse reported a
prescription drug as their primary drug of abuse at admission, (BayCare Behavioral Health).
• In 2012, 1.7% of Hernando County high school students reported using depressants in the past 30-days,
2.3% reported prescription pain reliever use in the past 30-days and 0.8% reported prescription
amphetamine use in the past 30-days, (Florida Youth Substance Abuse Survey).
• In 2011, 53% of Hernando residents surveyed reported they know someone who has misused prescription
drugs, (Alcohol and Prescription Drug Use Policy Survey).
• The amount of newborns going through withdraw due to addicted mothers almost tripled from 2008 to 2010
in Hernando County, (Agency for Healthcare Administration).

Data from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement shows Hernando County had 29 deaths caused by prescription drugs in the first half of 2013, which is double the statewide average per capita.

Hernando County Sheriff’s Office reported then that 90 percent of the narcotics cases handled in Hernando were for prescription drugs, and every category of crime, including home invasions and robberies, were affected by prescription drug abuse, according to the report.

Shall I go on?? By the way, I am former Law Enforcement and have family in Spring Hill.
He is another home seller trying to paint a perfect picture. We have been around the bush so many times about west Pasco it's just unreal.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
People can argue about how great Spring Hill(Hernando County) is or West Pasco, but I'd advise anyone thinking of moving there to do their homework and visit the area. There IS a reason it gets so many negative comments. The FACT is most people consider it an undesirable area. The drug problem could be the same as anywhere else in the country,IDK, but it just seems or is more pronounced in Hernando and W. Pasco. You can look at stats all day, but your gut instinct will point you in the right direction.
After living in Westport the last 9 years i've seen more drunks and druggies that i could ever dream off. Had more than one guy pass out in front of my house laying half way in the street to be run over. Just one month in Westport i have seen way more crimes and drugs than the 41 years i lived in Danashores.

I will say the crime rates and crime reports have dropped a good 60% in my hood the last year. Main reason is the hood is starting to empty out , there are so many empty homes around here now.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:58 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
After living in Westport the last 9 years i've seen more drunks and druggies that i could ever dream off. Had more than one guy pass out in front of my house laying half way in the street to be run over. Just one month in Westport i have seen way more crimes and drugs than the 41 years i lived in Danashores.

I will say the crime rates and crime reports have dropped a good 60% in my hood the last year. Main reason is the hood is starting to empty out , there are so many empty homes around here now.
You should have bought a home in a nicer area. The bar sitting right on the only street entering the area should have been the first clue.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:11 AM

102 posts, read 185,741 times
Quote:
I think you've been away from here too long. Check out the HCSO website and see how many home invasions there have been and how many of them were persons not involved with each other in some other way. Also, check out the drug arrests. Most of them are for marijuana possession and come about through a traffic stop. Unemployment rate is 8.1 percent. Pretty close to the U.S. as a whole rate.
Housing crisis? What crisis? Sales of single family homes in Hernando County 2012 totaled roughly 2,200.

Hows the heroin problem in Aspen doing?
Yeah, OK.....

With a crime rate of 65 per one thousand residents, Brooksville has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 15. Within Florida, more than 90% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Brooksville.

Separately, it is always interesting and important to compare a city's crime rate with those of similarly sized communities - a fair comparison as larger cities tend to have more crime. NeighborhoodScout has done just that. With a population of 7,735, Brooksville has a combined rate of violent and property crime that is very high compared to other places of similar population size. Regardless of whether Brooksville does well or poorly compared to all other cities and towns in the US of all sizes, compared to places with a similar population, it fares badly. Few other communities of this size have a crime rate as high as Brooksville.

The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined.

Now let us turn to take a look at how Brooksville does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. This is important because the overall crime rate can be further illuminated by understanding if violent crime or property crimes (or both) are the major contributors to the general rate of crime in Brooksville.

For Brooksville, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Brooksville is one in 146.

In addition, NeighborhoodScout found that a lot of the crime that takes place in Brooksville is property crime. Property crimes that are tracked for this analysis are burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, and arson. In Brooksville, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 17, which is a rate of 58 per one thousand population.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherside1 View Post
Yeah, OK.....

With a crime rate of 65 per one thousand residents, Brooksville has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 15. Within Florida, more than 90% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Brooksville.

Separately, it is always interesting and important to compare a city's crime rate with those of similarly sized communities - a fair comparison as larger cities tend to have more crime. NeighborhoodScout has done just that. With a population of 7,735, Brooksville has a combined rate of violent and property crime that is very high compared to other places of similar population size. Regardless of whether Brooksville does well or poorly compared to all other cities and towns in the US of all sizes, compared to places with a similar population, it fares badly. Few other communities of this size have a crime rate as high as Brooksville.

The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined.

Now let us turn to take a look at how Brooksville does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. This is important because the overall crime rate can be further illuminated by understanding if violent crime or property crimes (or both) are the major contributors to the general rate of crime in Brooksville.

For Brooksville, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Brooksville is one in 146.

In addition, NeighborhoodScout found that a lot of the crime that takes place in Brooksville is property crime. Property crimes that are tracked for this analysis are burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, and arson. In Brooksville, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 17, which is a rate of 58 per one thousand population.
So you covered Brooksville, about 4% of the total population of Hernando, and I am sure that was intentional rather than using all of Hernando County as Brooksville happens to have one of the high crime areas for the county within the Brooksville city limits.
You know the Hernando County we are talking about, the one that the sheriff said 2011 crime was the lowest in 15 years, the one where offenses were down another 10+% between 2011 and 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay