Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:34 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sigh! Men's Health magazine says St. Petersburg is the country's saddest city. The sunshine city inched out Detroit — second on the dubious list — followed by Memphis, with Tampa just behind.

The magazine based its rankings on suicide rates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and unemployment rates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It also compiled information from a website called SimplyMap to determine the percentage of households using antidepressants and the number of people who say they feel sad all or most of the time.

"We put America on the therapist's couch and discovered that not only is St. Petersburg our Saddest City, but Florida in general seems to be a depressing place to live,'' the magazine said.

Happiest city on the list: Honolulu.

Magazine says St. Petersburg is country's saddest city; Tampa not far behind - St. Petersburg Times

^^YIKES! Do you have the link for the article in Mens' Mag?

Honolulu, huh?

Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,250,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
The entire state is depressing for a multitude of reasons.
I honestly didn't realize how bad it was until i moved and had something else to compare it to. It's not all that obvious, when thats all your looking at.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:55 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,308,610 times
hahahahahahaha I am sorry I have to laugh!

This article is old, they reprint it for the lack of material I guess, I first read that last year (2010)

This is why the city "officials" need to wake up. Then, I am going to say that there are a lot of people who are "running from the cold" with expectations of high and mighty beach living at its best, not listening to reason...blah, blah, blah...who are making up those statistics! Someone who moves there for what is TRULY there, will never end up on those lists unless he/she is ran over by a car and ads to the other statistics!

It IS "Sad" to live in Florida, half of it is made up of grave yards! A lot of people visit at funerals only! (thanks to its famous reputation for being a "retirement" state! Imagine a major flood...you'll have a real Thriller to deal with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sigh! Men's Health magazine says St. Petersburg is the country's saddest city. The sunshine city inched out Detroit — second on the dubious list — followed by Memphis, with Tampa just behind.

The magazine based its rankings on suicide rates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and unemployment rates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It also compiled information from a website called SimplyMap to determine the percentage of households using antidepressants and the number of people who say they feel sad all or most of the time.

"We put America on the therapist's couch and discovered that not only is St. Petersburg our Saddest City, but Florida in general seems to be a depressing place to live,'' the magazine said.

Happiest city on the list: Honolulu.

Magazine says St. Petersburg is country's saddest city; Tampa not far behind - St. Petersburg Times

Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,308,610 times
America's Saddest Cities | Men's Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
^^YIKES! Do you have the link for the article in Mens' Mag?

Honolulu, huh?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,606,138 times
I suppose some of those sad people just need a hug. At a minimum, I promise to smile more so people will wonder what I'm up to.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,206,610 times
I can't comment on the article as I don't know how exactly they end up with that conclusion.

I will say this: what's depressing for one may not be for others. I like living in Seattle, for example, but my wife will be depressed simply because there is no "enough" sunshine and rains a lot. I spend a good check of my life in Europe and on those countries I was, people are just depressed because it is cloudy all the time. If they see sun light, they would run out to make a BBQ. Some who can afford just simply go away for the winter.

If people loose their job and their house, it sure is depressing like hell. I wonder if this study has a track record and would be interesting to see how much of this sadness is related to the economy.

Hey, let me read another thread before I get depressed myself, !

Old 11-29-2011, 05:31 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I enjoy living in an area where everyone around me is depressed and/or sad. It makes me feel better about myself. lol
Looking on the positive side of things most of the people moved to Florida to escape winter so no matter how bad things are they can seek solace in the success of their good move..

Old 11-29-2011, 05:37 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,897,666 times
Like meindunedin says:

"Hey, let me read another thread before I get depressed myself, !"

Let me go have fun in Other topics, and not think about this article.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,997 times
As a subscriber to that rag, I usually skip the monthly "-est cities" feature. I would not be surprised if next month's "survey" is "cities with the funniest hats". That's the level of journalism you usually get.

That people actually are taking this seriously is the saddest fact of all.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 PM

794 posts, read 1,861,943 times
Does anyone even read MensHealth magazine??

I subscribed to that magazine once and found it does not really represent the typical American Male. It caters to 20-30 year olds who already have a six-pack and want to keep them. Anyway, I digress.

If I was 20 and had a six pack, I'd be really happy, no matter where I lived!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay