Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

You don't need "lists" from pharmacists for that...it is a known fact that the US is the ONLY country in the world where antidepressants are prescribed in industrial qualities. Here we have COMMERCIALS for antidepressants! Its "Uncle's Sam" way of having the population deal with crap nobody else in the world has to live with!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Also, how would they know how many households are "on antidepressants"? Is that not confidential information? I guess they got it from pharmacies.
The reason no US city made that list is because the focus here is on "Business" and not on "People"! Simple as that. When THAT will change, then US will make those lists too.

This was the article in question:
Survey says the best place to live is... | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine

Quote:
Vienna's excellent infrastructure, safe streets and good public health service make it the nicest place to live in the world
Sadly, if one did not get to live elsewhere besides US, one would never know or understand the difference. That is what it boils down too.
In other words, their tax money are not used for political campaigns, or to bail out failing banks and other companies that got too greedy. Their tax money goes to their health and other services that normally contribute to a good quality of life.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 AM

YES! Some people do because they had huge expectations (generally fueled by media, and not actual trips their physically made to re-search a place before moving), so some people just had a bad day up north, and decide to pack and move, then they get wherever they moved and realize that now there is a whole other mess of things they don't like, it could simply be the grocery store that can make someone unhappy on the spot, if they were used to something else.

If you do a LOT of re-search on a place you entertain a move too, and you know EXACTLY what you're going to have there, then those people would never become "sad", "depressed", etc etc etc, but when you wake up one day, you ask three questions here and then start driving south, and when you get here you see what's really here...some may freak out, and then if they can't go back fast enough they become depressed/sad etc etc etc. Its very simple. This is why I always say VISIT, and not for a weekend, you don't plan to move here for a weekend...so, you have to know what this place has to offer long term. If it works for you, great...but if you find that some things are just not going cut it, then don't waste money on movers and depression medication!!! (and contribute to these idiotic lists).

You do realize that these lists actually hurt places more than help ppl make educated decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
What I ask here is this: if you were happy before where you are living, do you suddenly become "sad" or "miserable" because you read that your city was on some list?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:41 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
There are a ton of retirees and unemployed here. Both with too much time on their hands, so they go online and post on the internet.

Many of these people have little money and live pay check to pay check not having any money saved up should something go wrong. If something goes wrong.... well... it's obviously Florida's fault.

They have nobody to share their feelings with so they turn to the internet to vent.

On another note. How many people do we see on here alone that are looking to move to Florida because they are depressed where they are at or have some sort of problem they are trying to run away from? Since the state is so transient I think most of the depressed people around here were already such when they moved here.

1. I don't see too many people saying, "I love my life where I am now, I have a great career and family life. The kids are happy in their school's. Everything is fantastic but I want to move to Florida because I want an adventure!"

2. What we see is, "I can't stand the weather here anymore. I'm sick of the cold and weather. I love the beach and think it would be wonderful to live in Florida weather. Husband (or wife) is disabled and unable to work so employment is important. How is the job market there?"

Which one seems like it came from a person who is depressed and thinking that moving to Florida will change their state of mind?

TADA!!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:04 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I have seen this survey now across a few threads and must say this is the most ridiculous list I've ever seen. How do you quantify happiness and sadness? And how do you characterize an entire region by what some skewed statistics might infer? I wake up in FL happy one day because I love it here and sad the next because the Gators can't move the ball 10 yards to save their life. It doesn't make the state a sad place to be. Again survey and stats can be made to say ANYTHING you want them too.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sigh! Men's Health magazine says St. Petersburg is the country's saddest city. The sunshine city inched out Detroit — second on the dubious list — followed by Memphis, with Tampa just behind.

The magazine based its rankings on suicide rates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and unemployment rates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It also compiled information from a website called SimplyMap to determine the percentage of households using antidepressants and the number of people who say they feel sad all or most of the time.

"We put America on the therapist's couch and discovered that not only is St. Petersburg our Saddest City, but Florida in general seems to be a depressing place to live,'' the magazine said.

Happiest city on the list: Honolulu.

Magazine says St. Petersburg is country's saddest city; Tampa not far behind - St. Petersburg Times

I read the article after the link was provided. I personally wouldn't put too much credit on the source.

IMO; people have different life styles and circumstances for being where they are. However, if I were living in a place that effected my quality of life I'd be making plans to exit as quickly as possible. In the interim, I would make the best out of my current situation.

I can't imagine living in misery/sadness/bitterness every single day UNTIL I am able to move/make a decision. Life is too short to live in misery.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Look! FL didn't make THIS list...all though walking around anywhere down there would have you think otherwise:
The 8 Most Artery-Clogging Cities in America | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine

Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
You and me both. If one is not happy where they are there is no use wasting any time or energy in NOT going some where else pronto.

I had that problem with NYC. Quality of life as I expected it just wasn't there for me anymore. So, I waited the year or so until I had 10 years in with my firm and left NYC (I needed 10 years to secure a pension). Best thing I ever did in my life. I should have done it 10 years earlier, but life happens. Being sad and bitter on a daily basis when there is an alternative is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
I read the article after the link was provided. I personally wouldn't put too much credit on the source.

IMO; people have different life styles and circumstances for being where they are. However, if I were living in a place that effected my quality of life I'd be making plans to exit as quickly as possible. In the interim, I would make the best out of my current situation.

I can't imagine living in misery/sadness/bitterness every single day UNTIL I am able to move/make a decision. Life is too short to live in misery.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Stay on topic please.. this forum is about Tampa Bay area not any other place. Please report posts that hijack the thread.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:40 AM

and here comes the "explanation as to why?" that is...
http://news.yahoo.com/why-florida-monopolizes-americas-saddest-cities-140000716.html (broken link)

As you can see the states where the housing boom was the biggest, are now the "saddest"...gee I wonder why!? I am not sure, but were they expecting people to jump for joy after loosing their homes? I am surprised that more realtors/mortgage brokers weren't shot in the head considering the mess they made!

As a side note, for those looking to buy, DO NOT FALL PREY to this expression: "Multiple offers", it is BS in order for the RE's to bump prices to unreasonable levels again!

Old 12-03-2011, 03:49 AM

Because they're too lazy to talk about real issues, they take these fake surveys to scare people off!

Here's another one...if you want to talk about dumb articles:
Does Time magazine think Americans can

I am sure Americans can't handle covers like that because they're too sad!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Wow!

What's shocking is that TIME quoting, what megazine?!

Here is a quote from TIME

Why promoting it then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay