Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 PM

105 posts, read 135,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
You're right, it's a great place to retire to. We spent our lives in the Midwest and although it's a great place to raise kids, get an education, make friends, buy a house, and live a nice, safe life, the weather really stinks seven months our of the year because it's cold and gray and the scenery is lacking. We relocated here about three years ago and our quality of life is much better now and we can enjoy outdoor pursuits on a daily basis. I still am in awe of the birds, flowers, blue skies, sunshine, warmth, and friendliness of the people here. I know it's not for everyone, but we worked really hard to get here and are enjoying what the area has to offer us.
We are currently living in Chicago working towards this same goal

Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 PM

30 posts, read 56,359 times
I am happy living in st. Petersburg. I contribute some of my happiness to where I live since I do like where I live. Be open to people coming in, and enjoy the friends you have here. As long as we have an attitude to make this place better I'm sure it will help us all in the long run.

But yes, I never go south of downtown St. Pete, it is sketchy. I will like to contribute in some ways to the community to make it better.... It's hard but I do like the attitudes of people here since they are wanting to stay and make it better as well.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:05 PM

219 posts, read 377,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
^^that's so redneck. I mean it's great you're having a good time and all but it's just so...I don't know what other word to use but redneck.
I don't know what your definition of redneck is.....he didn't say he was in his 1985 Ford truck with a lift kit, hog hunting, drinking Pabst...perhaps you've never met a real redneck. Roscoe is living the dream!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 PM

219 posts, read 377,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgoer44 View Post
I don't know what your definition of redneck is.....he didn't say he was in his 1985 Ford truck with a lift kit, hog hunting, drinking Pabst...perhaps you've never met a real redneck. Roscoe is living the dream!
And I am proud to know people who do all of that too, and call them my friends!

Old 07-29-2014, 02:07 PM

21 posts, read 40,058 times
Default St. Petersburg is UNSAFE, and I lived there for 8 years

You may have been to St. Petersburg many times, but I lived there for eight years, and I OFTEN felt unsafe--for specific reasons, such as my car being broken into TWICE, my purse being stolen, and other crimes committed against me--and I lived in a "locked" condominium (meaning only residents could enter, and before they could become residents, they had to pass a criminal background check). And it seems to me that Florida attracts people looking for a "new and better life," so the psychologist may be very well justified in thinking that there is an added depression quotient to living in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I don't know...I've been to St.Pete many times and have never felt "unsafe"...Psychologists treat depressed people for a living no matter what state they work in...so I think their opinions might be skewed...

Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 PM

644 posts, read 1,485,124 times
You're right, it's not that safe. I've been there many times and have had my share of trouble. I like St. Pete, but it has its good and bad points, like anywhere else.

I once got into a car accident while on my way to the Vinoy when I got hit by a carful of illegals lacking drivers licenses who were running a red light. I spent the next 2 hours chatting with some locals on a street corner while I waited for a tow truck that had gotten lost. The women were obviously in bad straits, spoke about their drug problems and told me how the state was trying to take their children away. I was only glad that all this happened during the day rather than at night.

St. Pete, like Tampa and many other cities, has some poverty, some wealth, and some great areas and rundown areas right next to each other - so you do have to be careful, especially if you are out doing things and traveling alone there.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 5,170 times
I love living in St. Petersburg. We've had three friends visit and they all want to move here also. One came from Athens, GA, one from Brooklyn and one from Boca Raton. Life is what you make of it (the bloom where you're planted philosophy). The best thing about St. Petersburg is the waterfront has been reserved entirely for public use - miles and miles of bayfront parks. And it's got a great downtown with a night life. Explore it and I think you'll agree.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:48 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I agree about St Pete.

BTW, anyone recommend a decent lunch place in the marina/downtown area. Was looking at Z Grille, Parkshore, Fresco on the marina......been to Parkshore twice, but wanted to try another place - okay to pay a little more - want something somewhat formal, table cloths, "classy".......but for lunch. Might opt for Vinoy this time.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:54 PM

644 posts, read 1,485,124 times
I like the seafood restaurant called 400 Beach on Beach Drive right near the Vinoy, although I have not been there in several years.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
thanks - will see if they have a website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay