Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 AM

315 posts, read 652,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanbat View Post
I love Florida and Tampa for many reasons. One is that there are many interesting places here that I have yet to explore. Another is that I find the mix of people interesting. Yet another is that my family has laughed and smiled a lot more since we moved. The weather is just a perk.

Perhaps the biggest reason is that I am happy to still be alive and that every day is a supreme gift.

Then again, I guess that reason would apply to where ever I am living.

Thanks for bumping this for no apparent reason...

Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanbat View Post
I love Florida and Tampa for many reasons. One is that there are many interesting places here that I have yet to explore. Another is that I find the mix of people interesting. Yet another is that my family has laughed and smiled a lot more since we moved. The weather is just a perk.

Perhaps the biggest reason is that I am happy to still be alive and that every day is a supreme gift.

Then again, I guess that reason would apply to where ever I am living.
So glad you are enjoying it here gman.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:24 PM

74 posts, read 120,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
Thanks for bumping this for no apparent reason...
The title of this thread concerns St. Pete and Tampa being sad. My post dealt with the area not being sad, at least for me. Sorry if that didn't have the impetus to cross your percieved threshold of relevance.

So glad you are enjoying it here gman.

Thanks, gypsychic!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 8,710 times
It's beautiful in Tampa. Ever go sailing from Davis Island as the sun sets. Ever see the city lights from Bayshore. Fun restaurants, moderate rowdiness in Ybor. What's the matter with people. I'm an ex New Yorker. Florida generally is crazy, 1/4 of ALL the homeless in the entire country live here, retirees from all states are here. Why is everybody here if it's so bad?????? Because weather is gorgeous all year and living is quite cheap compared to the north. Stop complaining, it'll make you depressed. There is a big crazy mix of all kinds, that's for sure.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,760,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreamarc,esq View Post
It's beautiful in Tampa. Ever go sailing from Davis Island as the sun sets. Ever see the city lights from Bayshore. Fun restaurants, moderate rowdiness in Ybor. What's the matter with people. I'm an ex New Yorker. Florida generally is crazy, 1/4 of ALL the homeless in the entire country live here, retirees from all states are here. Why is everybody here if it's so bad?????? Because weather is gorgeous all year and living is quite cheap compared to the north. Stop complaining, it'll make you depressed. There is a big crazy mix of all kinds, that's for sure.
Not everyone is here by choice

Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,480 times
I think Tampians just have a real rotten attitude sometimes and fail to appreciate what they have. Most of the things they complain about are actually worse in most other southern cities.

Another problem is that many locals resent the fact that others keep moving there and many people that move there think all their life's problems are going to go away just because they live in Florida so obviously they are disappointed due to having too high of expectations.

There's nothing really (relatively) bad about Tampa and there's plenty of good. I love the area as far as living goes.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,258 times
Wow. So true. Have I ever been sailing in the sunset of Davis Island? LOL. People who were born here are poor. I guess the wealthy "out of towners" who've made good money in other places so they can pay us super cheap for our shacks think this place is just swell. Well, I remember when you could drive along the beaches and actually see the beach. Now the 1 percenters have cut off my access to beaches I have paid all my life to replenish, over and over. Hot? We couldn't afford a/c until I was out of high school. Did anyone I know make it college? Whoa! No one ever talked about it, because we all knew that the educational system here is so awful, we'd never make it. So for all the people who think this place is paradise because they can take their sunset cruise out to the islands and sip their umbrella drinks while I clean up behind you, good for you. You can now use slave labor groomed just for you, Florida style.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times
When I was working in hotels and bars in Florida and going to school I felt the exact same way^^^

My job felt like I was working in a sweatshop and my education was dismal. I'm glad to be studying up North now but I would like to go back to Florida one day...probably Miami.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemjean View Post
Wow. So true. Have I ever been sailing in the sunset of Davis Island? LOL. People who were born here are poor. I guess the wealthy "out of towners" who've made good money in other places so they can pay us super cheap for our shacks think this place is just swell. Well, I remember when you could drive along the beaches and actually see the beach. Now the 1 percenters have cut off my access to beaches I have paid all my life to replenish, over and over. Hot? We couldn't afford a/c until I was out of high school. Did anyone I know make it college? Whoa! No one ever talked about it, because we all knew that the educational system here is so awful, we'd never make it. So for all the people who think this place is paradise because they can take their sunset cruise out to the islands and sip their umbrella drinks while I clean up behind you, good for you. You can now use slave labor groomed just for you, Florida style.
I'm trying to figure out the point you are struggling to make.

Wealthy people should not move here? Those with an education should not try to become successful? Successful people should feel guilty? Residents who were not born within the state's boundaries are not allowed to enjoy sunsets?

Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 AM

82 posts, read 180,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemjean View Post
I had to bump this because it almost make me actually LOL.

I grew up in Ohio with my struggling mother and two sisters. I worked from age 12 on- in a machine shop and three paper routes in the summer. It didn't stop me from getting good grades and getting into college. I joined the military to pay for school and graduated with a bachelor's in Ohio and moved to Tampa. I aggressively sought high paying jobs I wasn't qualified for and rapidly moved up. While I am not quite a 1%er I live in an upscale townhome, drive a new car, and go out whenever I want (outside of my 50-60hr work week and National Guard drill weekends).

I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for those who refuse to help themselves and just point their finger at rich people. Not every successful person is some trust fund brat who has never had to shop at Goodwill or eat Ramen noodles. The fact is most people don't try and better themselves. They slave away at their crappy job, go home and watch cable TV, maybe drink/smoke, and then get up the next day and repeat. For years.

Do yourself a favor and sell the TV, stop wasting money you don't have on tobacco/alcohol, and go get a library card and start bettering yourself. Then maybe you can learn enough to rise above your humble beginnings.

Back on topic, I love Florida. There are plenty of careers for those who aggressively seek them. Nearly every career or even bottom rung job has promotion opportunities for those who work hard enough to earn them. I think these survey results don't tell us anything because so many of the residents here were trying to escape their depression. The sunshine and palm trees aren't a magic cure, but I sure enjoy them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay