Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:53 AM

265 posts, read 974,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
Provide hard data refuting UT's more reputable status than USF's. You won't find it because both schools are not nationally ranked and are not considered in these rankings.

Your logic is flawed and extremely biased. I'm not an employee; just a MBA student that is glad to be attending UT despite getting accepted at other schools including USF. Your defensive nature has me thinking that you may be either a current student, faculty, or staff at USF; or more likely got passed for a job by a UT MBA. You've trolled me on two threads dealing with UT. Get over it.

Pot meet kettle..

Okay, so you're a UT MBA student as opposed to a UT employee taking advantage of free uncontested advertising on someone elses bandwidth. Undoubtedly, in your marketing classes you've learned that social media sites like City-Data are a good form of free advertising. Nicely done.. You probably also learned in your Business Ethics class that being truthful is always the best route. Thats where you've got into trouble here. You made a claim that you cannot support. In the business world, you just lost the client...

You made clear that your initial position is that UT and UT's MBA are better, and when challenged you provided no substantial data at all outside of a listing from a rag that UT advertises in. So in essence, we're left to assume that UT is better because you chose to attend the University.

USF is a great nationally ranked University that faces some unique challenges as a suburban and largely commuter University. Clearly USF is not for everyone. I'm sure UT has its merits as well, and I've toured Sykes and can honestly say its a beautiful facility.

I know and work with a number of MBA's from UT, UF, USF, and from around the country. Like anything else, you'll get out of the MBA what you are willing to put into it. If the Florida Intercollegiate Business Case Competition has proven anything its that when comparing the top MBA students from Florida's major Universities the difference is sometimes barely measurable. The difference between the MBA programs is not at the top, but at the bottom. Hopefully UT and USF will both work on this if they ever want that Top 100 ranking...

Listen, if you are a student there is nothing wrong with being proud of your alma mater. But,... UT does not need you to advertise for them and certainly not at the expense of the other Universities in the area. Somebody may call you on it at which point you hurt UT more than help.

To be sure, the most powerful form of advertising for a B School is for you to graduate and get the corner office job and then hang the UT diploma in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 07:22 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
What is wrong with you people? Rylie, a Junior in High School, came here to City-Data asking questions and looking for advice about UT and all s/he's gotten is mostly smart remarks and bickering between egos. No wonder s/he hasn't replied since.

As far as I know, UT is as good a private school as any other or it wouldn't have been operating since the 1930s, although it is quite expensive when compared to public institutions.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:25 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
What is wrong with you people? Rylie, a Junior in High School, came here to City-Data asking questions and looking for advice about UT and all he's gotten is (mostly) smart remarks and bickering between egos. No wonder he hasn't replied since.

As far as I know, UT is as good a private school as any other or it wouldn't have been operating since the 1930s, although it is quite expensive when compared to public institutions.
Good first point but because a school has been around a while doesn't mean much. The general advise the OP received is it's not a great value for money it costs.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:06 AM

420 posts, read 864,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
You made clear that your initial position is that UT and UT's MBA are better, and when challenged you provided no substantial data at all outside of a listing from a rag that UT advertises in.
I rest my point on the general opinions of the MBA programs in the Tampa area. The firm that I work for hires UT MBAs before USF. UF MBAs get a leg-up in the decision process because one of the executives is a UF alumnus. I've seen this trend at other companies that I have worked with. Where's the hard data? You're not going to get a company to state how many MBAs they've hired from which school and at what salary.

Would I like to see UT break the top 100? Of course! Would I like to see USF do the same? Sure, it's good for Tampa.

As for Rylie- before this post did get highjacked, definitely look at UT. As I've mentioned, the undergraduate business school is reputable when compared to others in the region. The marketing program is also very good. With your interest in majoring in both and as an out-of-state student, throw UT into the decision-making process for the programs, location, size, tuition, etc. Should you choose to attend graduate school for an MBA later on, well, come back to this thread as you decide between UT and USF.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
What is wrong with you people? Rylie, a Junior in High School, came here to City-Data asking questions and looking for advice about UT and all s/he's gotten is mostly smart remarks and bickering between egos. No wonder s/he hasn't replied since.

Karen, call me a skeptic but I'd be willing to bet that "Rylie" likely is a fictitious name of a person who's probably registered multiple times on this site with the intents of marketing. No typical high school Junior is actively searching colleges and those that are would be smart enough to know that there are far better information sources than City Data. Check the behavior pattern of some of the posters on this and other forums,... If they register, start a topic, and then disappear your red flag should raise immediately.

Welcome to the age of internet social media marketing...

Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Quote:
Karen, call me a skeptic but I'd be willing to bet that "Rylie" likely is a fictitious name of a person who's probably registered multiple times on this site with the intents of marketing. No typical high school Junior is actively searching colleges and those that are would be smart enough to know that there are far better information sources than City Data. Check the behavior pattern of some of the posters on this and other forums,... If they register, start a topic, and then disappear your red flag should raise immediately.

Thank you, wiltznucs. Good point; well taken. I needed a reality check!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:

You're definitely a skeptic. So you took a social media marketing class and now you see marketing everywhere. Using your logic, only atypical juniors in high school would be concerned with their futures? Again, using your logic, why would someone from a marketing department use CD if there "are far better information sources." Wouldn't they target those information sources where the atypical juniors are planning their futures?

It seems like "Rylie" is more of a typical junior than we think. She probably wants to go to school in Florida, got pestered by her parents to do some research before Xmas, did a quick internet search, and is now doing high school stuff (i.e. delaying her college plans).

Old 12-08-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
Again, using your logic, why would someone from a marketing department use CD if there "are far better information sources."
Nevermind..

Best of luck to you and your firm.

Last edited by wiltznucs; 12-08-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
3 pages of opinions from nonacademics for which no monetary investment was made. Pure marketing gold...
You mean 3 pages of opinions that are primarily from two biased sources? Still not seeing the gold...

Good luck to you and your competitions.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Regardless of where you get it, an MBA is pretty worthless these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay