Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,395,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
NC has a complete system like that. Tar Heel fans aren't annoyed because when you say UNC people only think UNC-CH.
This isn't NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 PM

156 posts, read 487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Northwestern is the right example of another geographically incorrect name. Columbia was named for location in Columbus's new world, which isn't incorrect, but sorely out-dated and brand recognition suffers compared to other more recently created Columbias, like Colombia. So I'd vote re-brand there, too. Two of your list are counterexamples, though: Amherst is in Amherst and Stanford is in Stanford. The others are named for people, i think. Maybe that's the direction USF should go: Leo Gallagher University. (TIC)
I do believe the rest were named for people, yes. I know Rutgers is named after Henry Rutgers - though they have been around since the late 1700s and have been known as several other names too.

I graduated from Seton Hall - no location in the name either. The campus is large and there are many "halls", not just one - none of which are named Seton. (This sounds like something from the old SNL skit "Coffee Talk", doesn't it?)

NJ is apparently very mysterious about where their institutions of higher learning are located. Well, except Princeton of course.

I have met lots of people who think that Tampa IS in South Florida, actually - because they do not live here and don't necessarily have a point of reference as to where Tampa sits on a map. Just a couple of days ago a friend who was coming to Miami asked if we could meet up and was surprised to hear that their destination was 4+ hours away. This is not the first time I have heard similar conversations, and I'm sure it will not be the last.

So to say that the whole rest of the state/country/world is wondering about why USF is called USF when it is not technically in the "SF" part of the state is stretching it here. :roll eyes:

Personally...I believe there are many other great mysteries in life to ponder instead, such as why do you park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway, hmm??

Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 AM

817 posts, read 2,256,920 times
I nominate this thread for dumbest thread of the week in CD Forums.

"We" should change the name of USF...as if we the people of Tampa Bay have the ability to do that....because it's not in south Florida, and we are always playing second fiddle to Miami. Furthermore, The Entire World has a problem with USF's name, and us rubes in Tampa Bay don't know how bad we look to The Entire World because of USF's name.

Uh, yeah.

Sometimes I wish there was an entrance exam for the internet.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:05 AM

286 posts, read 1,031,704 times
I also thought it awkward that it is named wrong. It's not that hard to figure out really.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,564,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamparesident26 View Post
Just a couple of days ago a friend who was coming to Miami asked if we could meet up and was surprised to hear that their destination was 4+ hours away. This is not the first time I have heard similar conversations, and I'm sure it will not be the last.

Made a similar mistake when I planned on meeting a friend who attended USC. I told him I'd meet him in San Diego.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,543,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
This isn't NC.
The point is if Florida had a name system like that people would just assume UF Gainesville.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,219,378 times
Simple problem...rename it to West Tampa, Florida University or...WTF U

Done. Problem solved.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,332,073 times
REP - Since I can't give it to you...

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamparesident26 View Post
I do believe the rest were named for people, yes. I know Rutgers is named after Henry Rutgers - though they have been around since the late 1700s and have been known as several other names too.

I graduated from Seton Hall - no location in the name either. The campus is large and there are many "halls", not just one - none of which are named Seton. (This sounds like something from the old SNL skit "Coffee Talk", doesn't it?)

NJ is apparently very mysterious about where their institutions of higher learning are located. Well, except Princeton of course.

I have met lots of people who think that Tampa IS in South Florida, actually - because they do not live here and don't necessarily have a point of reference as to where Tampa sits on a map. Just a couple of days ago a friend who was coming to Miami asked if we could meet up and was surprised to hear that their destination was 4+ hours away. This is not the first time I have heard similar conversations, and I'm sure it will not be the last.

So to say that the whole rest of the state/country/world is wondering about why USF is called USF when it is not technically in the "SF" part of the state is stretching it here. :roll eyes:

Personally...I believe there are many other great mysteries in life to ponder instead, such as why do you park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway, hmm??

Old 04-14-2012, 06:50 AM

17,584 posts, read 39,289,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post

"We" should change the name of USF...as if we the people of Tampa Bay have the ability to do that....because it's not in south Florida, and we are always playing second fiddle to Miami. Furthermore, The Entire World has a problem with USF's name, and us rubes in Tampa Bay don't know how bad we look to The Entire World because of USF's name.

Uh, yeah.

Reps for that - and so much "word" to that I can't even express!!!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post

Uh, yeah.

That's a bit overly dramatic. I do find amusement in how sensitive and butt-hurt some people are about a proposed rebranding. Oh noes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay