Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 942,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Once we fix USF's obvious problem, other schools that should change their names because no one knows where they are geographically located:

Notre Dame
Stanford
Dartmouth
Columbia
Yale
Hofstra
Rutgers
Amherst
Northwestern
Northwestern is the right example of another geographically incorrect name. Columbia was named for location in Columbus's new world, which isn't incorrect, but sorely out-dated and brand recognition suffers compared to other more recently created Columbias, like Colombia. So I'd vote re-brand there, too. Two of your list are counterexamples, though: Amherst is in Amherst and Stanford is in Stanford. The others are named for people, i think. Maybe that's the direction USF should go: Leo Gallagher University. (TIC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 04:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,523,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.
There's nothing difficult to understand. The name has been with the university for over a half a century. There's no reason to change it now. 50,000+ university population - not hurting for finding students to attend the school. If prospective students get confused/disoriented over the name and where it is located, that would be a reason for non-acceptance to USF, imo.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:55 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,321,690 times
1. We're comming back, and I need to re-route my routes to St Pete if they put a toll on it...deal with it.
2. You sound like a child...get over it, and direct your posts to the poeple who have power to change that name for u. If you want Publix to bring a new product, you request that through their website, not City-Data's.
3. R u really expecting to come on a US public forum, and get everyone to agree with your Opinion? dream on...I am not Debbie anything...but I know what the word: "Priority" means...if anything, USFs priority should be to lower tuition, and not continue to create mountains of debt for ppl attending. College education is not a Mortgage.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:00 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,534,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
As much as I think it would be worth it just to irritate Gator fans, that name makes it seem like a UF satellite campus. It needs to stand alone, both in name and reputation.
NC has a complete system like that. Tar Heel fans aren't annoyed because when you say UNC people only think UNC-CH.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 942,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
1. We're comming back...
That's hilarious.

Hopefully things work out better for you this time.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,534,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
1. We're comming back, and I need to re-route my routes to St Pete if they put a toll on it...deal with it.
2. You sound like a child...get over it, and direct your posts to the poeple who have power to change that name for u. If you want Publix to bring a new product, you request that through their website, not City-Data's.
3. R u really expecting to come on a US public forum, and get everyone to agree with your Opinion? dream on...I am not Debbie anything...but I know what the word: "Priority" means...if anything, USFs priority should be to lower tuition, and not continue to create mountains of debt for ppl attending. College education is not a Mortgage.
USF is very cheap compared to most universities on its level. Tuition is being raised due to state funding being cut.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,251,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Small thinking gets us nowhere.

Yes, my visitors from Paris, South Africa, etc., have asked me why USF is named USF when we are not in SF.

When the Bulls were in the tourney, I was getting Facebook messages constantly from around the world asking me about this also.

Last week I was in Clearwater Beach and I heard an English couple looking at Bulls shirts ask a cashier why USF is not in South Florida.
Ask your Brit buddies why it's called Buckingham Palace when it's located in London (Westminster) and not Buckingham.

It's always been called USF, it will always BE called USF because we like it being called USF. If someone from South Africa is confused, too bad. Give them a map if they're that upset.
On a side note;I do wish they'd bring back the old logo-the mean looking Brahma Bull, not that golden goat looking thing of the 80s. My mom worked at USF in the 60s and 70s and use to bring home scads of stuff with the Brahma Bull logo.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 04-13-2012 at 05:25 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,346,577 times
Quote:
There's nothing difficult to understand. The name has been with the university for over a half a century. There's no reason to change it now.
Except that the name is all wrong now.

Quote:
50,000+ university population - not hurting for finding students to attend the school. If prospective students get confused/disoriented over the name and where it is located, that would be a reason for non-acceptance to USF, imo.
I'm not sure how that is relevant. This is purely a marketing decision that I am suggesting. Is it the top priority in my life? No, not at all. It's just something I noticed. I think people are just scared of change. We live in an era where everything that was around 50 years ago must never be changed again.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 PM

So you live in Baton Rouge, LA, and are complaining about USF's name?

OK

Thanks BBI, we'll have a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Except that the name is all wrong now.

I'm not sure how that is relevant. This is purely a marketing decision that I am suggesting. Is it the top priority in my life? No, not at all. It's just something I noticed. I think people are just scared of change. We live in an era where everything that was around 50 years ago must never be changed again.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 PM

I know. But see, here's a problem USF should solve: stop getting cuts! they should spent more energy telling the "state" to find something else to cut!

The state is probably keep cutting their funding because they can't tell where is it located! hahahaha we should give them a map too! hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
USF is very cheap compared to most universities on its level. Tuition is being raised due to state funding being cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay