Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,537 times

Advertisements

So I am aware there is lots of info on this site which I have been reading, but it was pointed out in one of the posts I read that what's a "Nice" place to live can be very different based on your situation.

Basicly I am considering a job that is located near the Busch Gardens in Tampa. (which from what I have read is not a great area) I have two kids (middle school age) so I'd like to find a descent and safe School and the other important factor is I also DO NOT want a miserable commute (However from living in the DC metro I question if what is considered bad traffic in Tampa measures to what I consider bad traffic in DC, but reguardless I want the least amount of traffic as possible). I also like night life (nice restaurants, lounges or descent bars) for the nights we can get away. My price range is $1500 - 2000 a month for rent (looks like buying is not a great idea right now). We both Love the beaches and we like to be fairly close to shoping and civilization.

This is a list for a perfect scenario which I don't expect to find but would like to get some feedback on what may have a few of the things listed with kids, safety, and traffic being the most important out of the list. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
Look into Lutz. Not a bad commute. You are absolutely right, Busch Gardens is more or less surrounded by ghetto.

Last edited by Sunscape; 04-25-2012 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 08:41 PM

Lutz? Have not heard of it but will check it out. Thank you

Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Carrollwood is closest to Busch Gardens...you take Fletcher straight to Florida Ave etc...
The area around Lake Magdalene would be closer, but that before you cross Florida Ave, after that it becomes spotty IMO.

The area around BG is awful...and that's a compliment.

Lutz can work too, but if it rains...you'll be stuck on Dale Mabry for a while...maybe not as you'd be stuck on 495...BUT it can still be annoying.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Carrollwood is closest to Busch Gardens...you take Fletcher straight to Florida Ave etc...
The area around Lake Magdalene would be closer, but that before you cross Florida Ave, after that it becomes spotty IMO.

The area around BG is awful...and that's a compliment.

Lutz can work too, but if it rains...you'll be stuck on Dale Mabry for a while...maybe not as you'd be stuck on 495...BUT it can still be annoying.
Totally agree. Carrollwood or Lake Magdalene area would be good choices for easy commuting.

Sadly, all the area around Busch Gardens is totally depressing ghetto, I can't stress that enough. Busch Blvd itself is one of the "ghetto-iest" commercial roads in Tampa.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
I also think that Land O Lakes, Wesley Chapel and possible even New Tampa (33647 zip) wouldn't be bad areas. I live in Land O Lakes, which is right on the Northern boarder of Lutz. I can take Livingston Rd and be at the USF campus in 15-20 minutes with a few stoplights. USF is right on the northern side of Busch Gardens.
With your price range you will have many options for rentals. You can do a quick search on zillow, select rentals, and they pop up all over the place. Be careful though as to not get your hopes up, they aren't very good at keeping things updated. But it will give you an idea of what you can get for your price range.
I'm a little biased on the buy vs rent, so I'll keep it to the discussion. GOOD LUCK and ask any questions that you may have.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to give me feedback, I really appreciate it.
OK so from what everyone has said the places I should look are:
Land O Lakes
Wesley Chapel
New Tampa (33647 zip)*
Carrollwood or Lake Magdalene (before you cross Florida Ave)
Lutz (with the understanding that rain really jacks up Dale Mabry)

And most important stay away from Busch gardens especially Busch Blvd. Which I appreciate as I will sit in traffic any day then live in the "ghetto", so thank you for the warning. I want to stay clear of any sketchy areas. That is probably more important then anything as I don't want to feel like I need to worry about my family having problems or my property being damaged. (I know it can happen anywhere but I prefer to not increase those chances).

My only question is out of the areas mentioned which is my best bet for a safe school for the kids (middle school)? Iv read lots of opinions on Florida schools which Im not trying to get into but out of what I have to work with is one area better then the other?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
I think it's about time for one of algia's patented maps.

Welcome in advance. Whereabouts in DC? I'm an Alexandria native. One thing you'll instantly notice down here is how low stress everything is. Stark contrast from DC.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I agree with all the suggestions and will add Temple Terrace to the mix. Older homes but still a nice area

Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I used to live in Lutz, you dont go down Dale Mabry, you go up 41 to Nebraska or Florida Ave, much quicker...

Carrolwood is fine too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay