Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane111 View Post
If you enjoy where you are stuck, that's great. As an adult, I'd be happy to move back to fl some day. But for my little one, I don't want close the world to him and get him 'stuck' down here before he has a chance to make it anywhere and choose for himself.

LOL. Is that a joke? Why on earth would you or your 'little' one be STUCK anywhere? ROFLLLL

Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane111 View Post
So, theme parks and beaches? Hmm.

No you don't play tennis in the blizzard. You wait till it's over, then you make snowmen, throw snowballs, go ice skating, go sledding, drink cocoa, all for free. In fall you rake leaves, pick apples, take walks to enjoy the changing colors, drink cider and make apple crisp, all for free. In spring you appreciate getting outside with less clothes, see new life breaking through the ground and on trees, appreciate getting back to the playground, all for free.
In Florida, you play tennis or rush to the beach at 7am. Get into a/c or shade quarentine by 10am. Wait till 6pm, go to the 1 or 2 commercial venues you have season passes for. All. Year. Long. So what do most families end up doing? Nothing.
HA! No, there is a lot more here than beaches and theme parks. I feel sorry for you for not having explored the area really! Your loss.

Yeah, "Picking apples" is "fun"! Indeed! what year are we in again? 1657? or 2012? OMG!
"In spring you appreciate getting outside with less clothes"
hahahahahahahahahaha I couldn't do anything but laugh at that! Not once have I "appreciated that", and I lived in Europe for 27 years with snow up to my knees on occasion, and where NO SCHOOL ever closed its doors because it snowed outside! Plus, I LOVE my sweaters and my boots, and i have been successfully wearing them here too! Look, I know about the seasons changing and all...it actually didn't impress me as much as I thought it would be when we moved there, it was too normal for me having lived with it for so long in Europe...day to day life came first, and it sucked up there thanks to non existent logistics.

To DUNN...No I am not judging it just by the special ed, but we have 3 kids, and all three are smart and deserve a fair chance at education anywhere. I judged by my daughters performance who was stellar in FL, and just as stellar up there, so for her, she'll do fine anywhere. But when you have 1 in 55 boys on the spectrum, you do start to expect a little more care, STATISTICS for the PDD-NOS-ADHD, and manly QUALIFIED teachers. Why is the staff here competent, and the one up north INCOMPETENT? Do you think an ABA certified teacher should spend my son's time marking "X's" on a wall on how many times he said "No"? or should have her been able to redirect and move on and not waste my son's time????????

This comment is ridiculous. We don't "rush" into anything...for one, and second nothing beats having the beach to YOURSELF! Nothing. So "shade" is bad for you or something? not all people go to the beach to get tanned!? some of us actually ENJOY the LANDSCAPE/Outdoors beyond personal vanity! I think your problem is simply that you could not get accustomed here, because you moved here expecting something that doesn't exist, and once you lost your familiar surrounding, you got upset, and mad at Florida. It happened to me too...but then, i realized it was wasteful of me to think that way, so I stopped, and RE discovered all Florida's beauty all over again! *******s you find anywhere, moronic employers you find anywhere the choice is if you want to be near them where it is familiar to you, or not. THE END.
Quote:
In Florida, you play tennis or rush to the beach at 7am. Get into a/c or shade quarentine by 10am. Wait till 6pm, go to the 1 or 2 commercial venues you have season passes for. All. Year. Long. So what do most families end up doing? Nothing.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Silly rabbits, you are falling into the rabbit hole. Isn't it obvious Diane is an old poster under a new guise?

Shhh... don't let the secret out. It's way better up north...

They have been hit by "Snowmageddon", Hurricane Sandy, fuel shortages, high rent, more taxes and brown outs. Sure, careers are better there for most industries.... but I'm not really into the rat race, so I am fine here.

I can make it in other states, always have... but am making more money here than I have anywhere before... and the COL is cheap here... go figure.

Oh... one more secret... not everyone likes the same type of climate or culture. I like the subtropical climate, abundant sunshine, warm weather, beaches and affordable housing. All things I never got to grow up with.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,047 times
Wow … I can't believe someone would move down here and then move away because they think their children would somehow be "harmed" by living here. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of! I am a product of Florida. My family has lived here for several generations and has done quite well for themselves. We have doctors, lawyers, and restaurant owners in my family and have all been very successful by the world's standards … even by NYC standards. Could they become equally as good doctors, lawyers, and restaurant owners in NYC? Of course! My family has always been bright, hard-working, and extremely energetic. We would make it anywhere. So would anyone else possessing these qualities.

Are there bad schools here? Yes. But there are plenty of good schools here, too. If you are moving from NYC or anywhere else for that matter, do your research. Make sure you are moving to a good area with good schools. My children attend excellent schools here in Florida, and they are getting a superb education. Both of my children qualified for the Duke TIP program, which is based on NATIONAL test scores. They have always scored n the 90th percentile on yearly, national, standardized tests, meaning they have scored higher than the vast majority of students … yes, even the vast majority of students from NY!

I would NEVER want to live in NYC. I prefer the sunshine, the slower pace of life, all the outdoor activities, and the amazing housing value in Florida. Would my husband and I make more money in NYC? Not sure. Maybe. But who cares? We make a comfortable living here and live in a nice home in a nice neighborhood. Florida isn't for everyone. Neither is NYC. Thankfully people can chose to move to the area that is the best fit for them.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM

73 posts, read 143,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Let me tell you something really quick!

We moved up north, and 9 months later we moved BACK TO TAMPA! Your "up north" is filled with stuffy, full of themselves without base people! To put it in perspective, if you study graphic design in Florida, and in NYC you learn the same things! or medicine...body parts are the same there too! The cost of education SUCKS IN BOTH, as it is a national problem.

The pay might not be the same, but I neither is the cost of things. When you're done balancing things out, and we found this by moving up there, is that everything EVENS OUT when you're not making a million per year. If you're in the mid range salary, you take home the same at the end of the day. The people you describe are those who thought they'll hit the jackpot in Florida housing wise, as in they'll extend BEYOND THEIR MEANS because the sale price is cheaper than in NYC, but they took EVERYTHING ELSE out of the account! That is their fault. It doesn't matter WHERE you live if you decide to leave BEYOND your means you will FAIL, be it the US, Australia, Japan or Russia!

Like I said, we moved up north for education and what we found in one of US's TOP school districts was that normal kids were treated like gold, while all special needs were slowly but quickly directed toward self contained classes so that the districts RATES high without them! We also found EXTREMELY UNQUALIFIED teachers! There are no words to politely describe what we found.

Your up north SUCKS, your traffic up north is stuck 200 years ago along with mentalities there! You can advance just fine in Florida too if you're in the right field of work. If you choose to remain retail you will remain retail.

There is an Ice Skating rink on Race track Rd, so if we want to do "winter sports" we CAN! and if we want to go skiing, we can go anywhere in the Carolina's, or other parts of the north without the hassle of living there and spending 30 minutes to drive ONE MILE! NO THANKS!

Those who are SMART about their move to Florida and their EXPECTATIONS regarding the day to day living in Florida/Tampa or elsewhere will make a successful move, and those who move here and have unrealistic expectations are only making our lives here worst because unfortunately when their expectations are not met, they treat everyone else like garbage! By being RUDE, in person or driving, and by having NO interest in our communities here! We have two neighbors like this, both from Jersey and they are the most AWFUL rude people ever!

Mater of fact, glad you went up north, one less full of them-self individual here!

Wait? did I mention your BREAD SUCKS TOO? Yeah, your precious Giant Eagle keeps bread un-bagged, and at child hand level so everyone touches it with their germs! not to mention your baguettes can be used as weapons they are hard as a rock! and a lot more things I won't list here because I don't time right now. You can take your up north and SHOVE IT! We will continue to enjoy the up north as visitors to what really matters up there like museums and quality Broadway shows and THAT'S IT! Y'all can continue to fester up there and be rude as can be UP THERE. People in the south are NICE! IF you can't be nice, and become a PART of the south, don't come here!
You really nailed it down, that is exactly the truth!!! Kudos to you for saying it outloud!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 AM

73 posts, read 143,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Florida "dumb's down" those who choose to SIT ON A COUCH AND GET FAT, and not those who go out and explore/visit cultural venues, and other things. If you have your life revolve around your stove and fridge you will be dumbed down ANYWHERE not just here! Get out, see a ballet, an Opera, a museum, The Bok tower...take a walk...go skating... Florida is small enough that you can drive from one side to the other in a few hours....LOTS to do in Miami too...
If you move here to live in your motorized cart packing pounds that is NOT Florida's fault. There is ENOUGH to do here between Tampa, Sarasota to keep someone busy for a WHILE.

Can't agreed more with you!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
I thought so too Kash. First posts ever and each of them bash the area.
I guess the OP is just another discontented wanna be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Silly rabbits, you are falling into the rabbit hole. Isn't it obvious Diane is an old poster under a new guise?

They have been hit by "Snowmageddon", Hurricane Sandy, fuel shortages, high rent, more taxes and brown outs. Sure, careers are better there for most industries.... but I'm not really into the rat race, so I am fine here.

I can make it in other states, always have... but am making more money here than I have anywhere before... and the COL is cheap here... go figure.

Oh... one more secret... not everyone likes the same type of climate or culture. I like the subtropical climate, abundant sunshine, warm weather, beaches and affordable housing. All things I never got to grow up with.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
This is an issue that a lot of us northeasterners seem to have -- moving here without embracing the lifestyle differences. I think the best example is how slow restaurant service is here. I've had family members come visit and get visibly frustrated with slow service. Then I remind them: the service here is slow, but I came here because I wanted my work to be way slower, too. Then they deal with it for the weekend.

of course, the pace of life here isn't for everyone. If you thrive on the northeastern pace of life, don't move here; you'll think everything/everyone is slow, mediocre and dumb. Move here because you want everyone to have a slower pace, because you want everyone to be very laid back and casual, because you do not want as much competition in the workplace, because you do not want to work as hard. If that's not your cup of tea, that's completely fine. But don't move here.

This is mostly personal preference stuff, but my experience has been very different. For me, the weather/seasons are so much better than up north, where most of the year it's too cold for me to want to go outside. The summer heat here doesn't keep me inside at all. I don't get tired of the beach (or fishing, paddleboarding, kayaking, etc.). And, I'm not sure where you live, but the events and festivals we have in/around St. Pete (most aren't "art fairs") are great. Beautiful day and there's live music and a beer truck? Yes, please. Best of all, I now have a work/life balance that actually permits me to take advantage of what's going on.

This is another thing a lot of us transplants seem to get wrong. If this place doesn't have what you like to do for fun, don't live here. If you prefer northeastern weather to FL weather, don't live here.
You make a lot of valid points. However I dont think is fair to say people don;t work as hard here. My company has the largest market share, we work as hard or harder than the rest of our industry. I don't think companies here are full of people who didn't want to work as hard. I think your work-life balance is a personal choice, I always leave at 5p, i make it my priority to leave on time to be able to do basketball practice, little league, school functions... In order to that in NYC i would have had to left work at 3pm thats a huge benefit of living in Florida for me, thats why i dont understand people on this forum who say "i had a 2 hour communte up north, so i dont mind driving", who wants to spend 3 hours a day driving, I would like to think my family would rather have me around 2 extra hours a day instead of a 3000sq 5br house in the middle of nowhere.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

RIGHT! That's why there are only 3 or 4 posts from her. Bit funny to see the new guise.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:36 AM

45 posts, read 79,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
RIGHT! That's why there are only 3 or 4 posts from her. Bit funny to see the new guise.
Sorry to burst your bubble but apparently there is one more person than whoever you're talking about that see negatives in fl. And I haven't been bashing Tampa, I have been bashing the entire state. And my particular point is that a young family with a northern upbringing may not end up liking fl, and should think twice before moving here and then getting stuck. Perhaps I am blunt and harsh, however I won't apologize, because I feel strongly about this and encountered many other northern transplants that ended up feeling the same way as me. I could candy coat and try and be p.c. in the way I write, but my then my particular point could get lost. I am allowed to feel the way and do, and just because you don't agree with me, doesn't negate my experience in fl. In a conversation about someone considering a drastic cross county move such as this, I think it is useful to see someone's negative experience, lest they be swept away visions of palm trees and dirt cheap mansions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay