Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grah8303 View Post
Actually, I lied. I was denied once for a condo... The agent said that someone submitted an application at the same time as me and it was stronger than mine... So yeah, denials do happen, but my track record has been a good one.
Near USF campus, where I went to school (great place, they even serve beer on campus at the student center!) there are plenty of places, I'm sure you'd be welcome, you could always use STUDENT as your profession and I'm sure no one would ask questions.

Good luck, hopefully it all works out for you. The Tampa Bay area is a fun place to be...if you're a sports guy, like to fish/boat, like beaches, latino food...and there are all sorts of transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 PM

28 posts, read 28,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Near USF campus, where I went to school (great place, they even serve beer on campus at the student center!) there are plenty of places, I'm sure you'd be welcome, you could always use STUDENT as your profession and I'm sure no one would ask questions.

Good luck, hopefully it all works out for you. The Tampa Bay area is a fun place to be...if you're a sports guy, like to fish/boat, like beaches, latino food...and there are all sorts of transplants.

Hahaha. Already one step ahead on you in thinking about using the old "I'm a student" line... Wouldn't be far off from the truth considering it always seems like I'm studying for one thing or another (became a personal trainer not too long ago... I also just finished a year at The University of Oklahoma.

Anyway, I see that there are TONS of places around USF. I've heard the traffic can be unbearable at times around there though. Places do look cheap and I'm sure there is an endless supply of booze, girls, and bars that are willing to take my money. I'm actually pretty set on living in Old NE St. Pete, but that could change. The places around there seem to be closest to my price range, and I feel that I can make it to Tampa in a decent commute given that I get a job there. I talked to a property manager earlier today that has a couple different studios in my price range, and she says she is willing to work with me on rent/utility consolidation... Sounds to me like they aren't going to split hairs about me having a job as long as I have mucho deniro to give...

Old 07-13-2013, 05:35 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Well you can move to Tampa or other parts of Florida without a job and whatever you have in belongings and car and go back on a Greyhound if all else fails.....create an emergency fund for a one way ticket.

I know someone that moved here without a job once (to South Florida) but that was when unemployment was 3% and this person had a lot of money saved, they ended up leaving for a better job in another state 5 years later but not on a Greyhound bus...

Old 07-13-2013, 05:38 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Hahaha. Already one step ahead on you in thinking about using the old "I'm a student" line... Wouldn't be far off from the truth considering it always seems like I'm studying for one thing or another (became a personal trainer not too long ago... I also just finished a year at The University of Oklahoma.

Anyway, I see that there are TONS of places around USF. I've heard the traffic can be unbearable at times around there though. Places do look cheap and I'm sure there is an endless supply of booze, girls, and bars that are willing to take my money. I'm actually pretty set on living in Old NE St. Pete, but that could change. The places around there seem to be closest to my price range, and I feel that I can make it to Tampa in a decent commute given that I get a job there. I talked to a property manager earlier today that has a couple different studios in my price range, and she says she is willing to work with me on rent/utility consolidation... Sounds to me like they aren't going to split hairs about me having a job as long as I have mucho deniro to give...

Yup, not to mention those places NEED people. The housing collapse was hit hard in FL. I use to live and commute from St. Petersburg, so you will likely be doing a similar commute. Lucky for you though, the commute is much better going from St. Pete to Tampa vs. Tampa to St. Pete and back. So you'll be in the better flow of traffic. Another good thing is you'll be close to the water, which is nice for someone from OKC. Downtown St. Pete is nice, not as big as Tampa, but they have the USF St. Pete campus down there and a smaller night life but it's nice and relaxing.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Well you can move to Tampa or other parts of Florida without a job and whatever you have in belongings and car and go back on a Greyhound if all else fails.....create an emergency fund for a one way ticket.

I know someone that moved here without a job once (to South Florida) but that was when unemployment was 3% and this person had a lot of money saved, they ended up leaving for a better job in another state 5 years later but not on a Greyhound bus...

Yeah, someone made a post earlier about not being a lazy POS and being proactive about finding work... Doing that will ensure I find something and that I don't leave on a Greyhound bus. I've known many people that have moved places without jobs and had it not work out... I also know that these people didn't try very hard to make it work... I actually moved to Chicago when unemployment was at 10.5% without a job, and found work working at a bike shop... It wasn't glamorous, and so I decided to head to Oklahoma to pursue finishing my degree. I have experience moving places and I know what to do and what not to do... Moving to Florida and blowing through my savings is a horrible idea... That's why I've developed a plan and will execute that plan so as not to fail... There will always be doubts as to one's success or failure in everything that a person does. I'm going to succeed.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Yeah, someone made a post earlier about not being a lazy POS and being proactive about finding work... Doing that will ensure I find something and that I don't leave on a Greyhound bus. I've known many people that have moved places without jobs and had it not work out... I also know that these people didn't try very hard to make it work... I actually moved to Chicago when unemployment was at 10.5% without a job, and found work working at a bike shop... It wasn't glamorous, and so I decided to head to Oklahoma to pursue finishing my degree. I have experience moving places and I know what to do and what not to do... Moving to Florida and blowing through my savings is a horrible idea... That's why I've developed a plan and will execute that plan so as not to fail... There will always be doubts as to one's success or failure in everything that a person does. I'm going to succeed.
If you don't mind me asking, do you know anyone in FL? Family? close friends?

Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Yup, not to mention those places NEED people. The housing collapse was hit hard in FL. I use to live and commute from St. Petersburg, so you will likely be doing a similar commute. Lucky for you though, the commute is much better going from St. Pete to Tampa vs. Tampa to St. Pete and back. So you'll be in the better flow of traffic. Another good thing is you'll be close to the water, which is nice for someone from OKC. Downtown St. Pete is nice, not as big as Tampa, but they have the USF St. Pete campus down there and a smaller night life but it's nice and relaxing.
Oh yeah. I honestly cannot see myself disliking St. Pete. I have a dog too so hearing that there are 20 or so dog parks throughout St. Pete and Tampa is something I'm looking forward to. I'm not young enough to be inexperienced in the ways of the world, but I'm not old enough to have experienced it all either. I'm at that age that I know I'm in control of my own destiny, and that positivity will ultimately rule out over any negative circumstances...

Old 07-13-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, do you know anyone in FL? Family? close friends?

I do. My best friend lives in Seminole Heights... One of my brother's best friends lives in Brandon... I don't have any family down there which is going to suck because I want to be close to them, but they all live here in OKC. I also have friends throughout Florida that I can visit, given that I want to make a road trip.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 PM

Sorry if you read a post of mine before I go back to edit any mistakes... I've been staring at this computer screen all day writing Facebook posts, looking at apartments, and applying for jobs. Not to mention I'm on my 6th cup of coffee... Feeling a little delirious at the moment. I've been talking to friends about the Zimmerman case on Facebook for most of the day. I graduated High School with him. Crazy huh? I wasn't friends with him but a lot of my friends were.... They say he was relatively soft spoken and not a trouble maker... Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a George Zimmerman vs Trayvon Martin discussion. I'm liking the feedback I'm getting from my initial post.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:53 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Oh yeah. I honestly cannot see myself disliking St. Pete. I have a dog too so hearing that there are 20 or so dog parks throughout St. Pete and Tampa is something I'm looking forward to. I'm not young enough to be inexperienced in the ways of the world, but I'm not old enough to have experienced it all either. I'm at that age that I know I'm in control of my own destiny, and that positivity will ultimately rule out over any negative circumstances...
I feel sorry for dogs in hot weather, but some dogs transition well to the heat. Dog parks are a good place to meet other people believe it or not, there was a dog park in my apartment complex that was pretty cool. If you like MLB the Rays also play downtown St. Pete and as you can imagine tickets are dirt cheap...and the night life is cool (get tickets in the party deck its a good time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay