Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:18 AM

436 posts, read 1,358,331 times

Advertisements

Once again, if you don't like where you live, find a way, anyway to get out. It may take you some time, but at least work on it because life is too short to be that miserable. Instead of compaining which will get you nowhere, start to formulate a plan of what you are going to do to get out of your situation. Your experience with Tampa is not shared by everyone.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 AM

711 posts, read 933,503 times
Smile Northerners to Tampa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobraboy View Post
It's been almost 2 months and am still struggling to like Tampa....not that I had a choice in moving here

- This place has no "living" historic areas
- No restaurants worth anything
- Traffic - you gotta see the volume to believe it, the traffic lights are SOOOO F*ING LOOOONGGG
- People drive like maniacs here
- You'd think the people would be more active with the weather being nice - the people are fat and ugly and you don't see anyone walking around - the tennis courts are empty, the swimming pools are empty, the jogging trails are empty
- If you are an active, younger adult (20s, 30s, 40s), you'd be hard pressed to find others like you
- If are a white collar worker with higher level of education from a good university, you'd be hard pressed to find others like you
- This place is like a huge suburb of 2 million lower middle class, blue collar people with hobos mixed in
- the houses are CHEAAAPPP with absolutely no character at all
- The beaches are waaay overated.
- This is not a cosmopolitan place at all
- Auto insurance is ridiculous because of nitwit drivers
- They consider themselves "the South" but I don't think that's correct at all. "The South" had some culture, but Tampa has zilch.
- If you are thinking this is somewhat of an ocean-side community - it's not and neither does it feel like it.
- The less said about their voting patterns the better - but it's not surprising considering the way they think (or not).
Well, I read your post and I am left with mixed thoughts and feelings. First Tampa is in Hillsborough county and if you follow the political actions of the legislators and the police there it is not surprising that the streets are full of violators. These cops are for the most part products of this part of Fl. they grew up in the pick-up truck, arrogant speeding area of H.C. They are essentially part of this wheeley nutty culture which says tailgating is acceptable and turning from the median from the wrong side of the street o.k.(after all--I was going left!)
On the other hand unbridled youth are a large part of the problem with their 1950's roaring mufflers and their non-stop speeding. Yep, I would say law enforcement is sorely needed and the lack thereof greatly detracts from a nice area.
Housing is not cheap in Tampa--and the property tax and property insurance issues are huge and will figure greatly in the prosperity of the area in the future. These problems need to be solved.
Ah yes--Hobos. No doubt Tampa has more than its share of dudes without direction--and little discipline to boot. Some are a product of our wonderful "no military draft" policies. Some citizens joke that they are all related to Smirkin' George.
There are plenty of white collar opportunities and professionals in Tampa--whether they will prefer other areas for various reasons remain to be seen. As in other areas there are pros and cons. I love to visit my relatives here, especially in the winter-LOL,but when I retire and stay put I think I will prefer another part of the country.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:41 PM
bfa

80 posts, read 458,461 times
Default Getting Out!

I moved here from Georgia 3 years ago. And I'm looking forward to moving back to Georgia.

However, I must say this: I am moving back for reasons related to family and friends that I have known for 20+ years. And for cheaper housing, and a slower pace of life.

I have found Tampa to be a great city, friendly folks, great weather (this time of the year especially!) and plenty to do. Also the beaches are not overated. Several beaches in the area have been ranked #1 in the US in the past few years.

I agree with the person that said the OP is miserable probably because the he/she was forced to move here. I'd hate it too, if I were here against my will, so to speak.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,662 times
Another Northerner that has moved down (to Fort Myers/Cape Coral from South Jersey)...
Observations after 3 months here:

The area is much cleaner and well maintained.
The people are much friendlier and congenial.
There are good restaurants, despite the conception that the food is inferior to the NorthEast (Phila, NJ, NY)
Crime rate is much lower.
The drivers are definitely scary! Tailgating frequency is amazing.
The job market and pay is horrible. (I suspect that one reason is no labor unions)
The climate and sunshine are amazing!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM

792 posts, read 2,293,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobraboy View Post
It's been almost 2 months and am still struggling to like Tampa....not that I had a choice in moving here

- This place has no "living" historic areas
- No restaurants worth anything
- Traffic - you gotta see the volume to believe it, the traffic lights are SOOOO F*ING LOOOONGGG
- People drive like maniacs here
- You'd think the people would be more active with the weather being nice - the people are fat and ugly and you don't see anyone walking around - the tennis courts are empty, the swimming pools are empty, the jogging trails are empty
- If you are an active, younger adult (20s, 30s, 40s), you'd be hard pressed to find others like you
- If are a white collar worker with higher level of education from a good university, you'd be hard pressed to find others like you
- This place is like a huge suburb of 2 million lower middle class, blue collar people with hobos mixed in
- the houses are CHEAAAPPP with absolutely no character at all
- The beaches are waaay overated.
- This is not a cosmopolitan place at all
- Auto insurance is ridiculous because of nitwit drivers
- They consider themselves "the South" but I don't think that's correct at all. "The South" had some culture, but Tampa has zilch.
- If you are thinking this is somewhat of an ocean-side community - it's not and neither does it feel like it.
- The less said about their voting patterns the better - but it's not surprising considering the way they think (or not).
Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Old 11-14-2007, 04:47 PM

192 posts, read 1,165,329 times
I've been here 61 years and I'm not going to put up with it one more minute!!!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM

491 posts, read 1,434,226 times
I have heard this about pretty much everywhere down south, along with the fact that they no longer want northerners 'invading'

my hometown would love for people to move in...

either way, i am no longer interested in moving there.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:55 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,808 times
As for the driving...have you ever tried driving in Boston? I would take Orlando or Tampa any day over Boston. And although Maine has a lot less traffic the people we do have (mostly Mass holes) are nuts.

Unfortunately I just bought a car (not really unfortunate) so I will have to wait a few years to get my car paid off before I can think about moving anywhere.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 PM

262 posts, read 938,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
As for the driving...have you ever tried driving in Boston? I would take Orlando or Tampa any day over Boston. And although Maine has a lot less traffic the people we do have (mostly Mass holes) are nuts.
Sorry but that just cracked me up. Mass holes, too funny.

To the OP: please do everything you can to move away. Don't get me wrong - although I can't imagine what you're talking about (I've lived in the Tampa Bay area for 30+ years), I DO know what it's like to live in a place that you hate. For me, that would be everywhere up north. For you, it's apparently Tampa.

Please do try to find some way to move to someplace that you find more congenial. It's miserable when you just can't stand the place you live, life is too short for that.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:17 PM

217 posts, read 879,476 times
The driving situation I agree is pretty bad. But what you have to remember is that people come from Mass., New York, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, etc...all places with different driving styles. The problem here is that you don't know what to expect. For example, when I'm in Boston, I know that horn blowing is a part of everyday life. Driving through New Jersey into Connecticut, it is not uncommon for 10 cars to be tailgating at 80+ mph per hour. When in some parts of the midwest, it's common to drive below the speed limit. When you have all of that on one highway, it can cause problems. That's Florida for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay