Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 AM

3 posts, read 10,882 times

Advertisements

Home is what you make it. If you're unhappy here, it's not here that's the problem, it's you. There is good and bad about everywhere. How you deal with it is the key to your happiness. And, the detractors don't sound like happy people.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:38 AM

428 posts, read 1,473,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobraboy View Post
It's been almost 2 months and am still struggling to like Tampa....not that I had a choice in moving here

- This place has no "living" historic areas
- No restaurants worth anything
- Traffic - you gotta see the volume to believe it, the traffic lights are SOOOO F*ING LOOOONGGG
- People drive like maniacs here
- You'd think the people would be more active with the weather being nice - the people are fat and ugly and you don't see anyone walking around - the tennis courts are empty, the swimming pools are empty, the jogging trails are empty
- If you are an active, younger adult (20s, 30s, 40s), you'd be hard pressed to find others like you
- If are a white collar worker with higher level of education from a good university, you'd be hard pressed to find others like you
- This place is like a huge suburb of 2 million lower middle class, blue collar people with hobos mixed in
- the houses are CHEAAAPPP with absolutely no character at all
- The beaches are waaay overated.
- This is not a cosmopolitan place at all
- Auto insurance is ridiculous because of nitwit drivers
- They consider themselves "the South" but I don't think that's correct at all. "The South" had some culture, but Tampa has zilch.
- If you are thinking this is somewhat of an ocean-side community - it's not and neither does it feel like it.
- The less said about their voting patterns the better - but it's not surprising considering the way they think (or not).
- Ybor City, Historic Kenwood, Old NE St. Pete, numerous walking history tours of both St. Pete and Tampa. BUT remember that Tampa/St. pete, many of the areas around here did not have major settlement until the late 1800's/early 1900's.
-Bern's, Sideberns, Cafe Ponte, Pepin's (St. pete), O'Bistro (St. Pete), Ceviches (St. Pete and Tampa), DOnatellos, The Columbia, Pelagia Tattoria, Redwoods (St. Pete), Le chateau, Cafe Alma,...
- No argument there!
- Again
- Ever drive down Baywalk or go to Ft. DeSoto? Ever TRY to ge tinto a Lifestyles after work?
- Wrong
- Wrong
-Wrong
- McMAnsions, yes, the bungalows - no.
- Ft. DeSoto, Honeymoon Island, Caladesi- regularly named the best beaches in the WORLD. Plus the best inshore fishing in the country- that's not an opinion, that's a fact.
- How many places outside the major cities (NY, Chicago, Boston) are truly cosmopolitan? try downtown St. Pete for a smaller version.
- not for safe drivers, and much cheaper than the NE
- this is not the SOuth, this is the DEEP SOuth. Took me a while to get used to it. Southern culture? gotta go outside suburbia for that.
- Have you spent any time in the beach cities?
- Yes, all 2 million are one monolithic mass who think the same way.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:39 AM

10 posts, read 33,495 times
Wow! I have to disagree. My husband and I moved to Palm Harbor, FL in 1997 from upstate NY for 7 years then bought a home in the West Chase area of Tampa where we lived for 3 years. We had a great time. We found a lot to do, the social scene was great (before baby) and we found a lot to do after baby. International Plaza has great shopping and restaurants, Ybor City is full of historic culture, the shows that came to town to Ruth Eckerd and the other venues were fun, the beaches are beautiful and the sunsets breathtaking. I can go on and on..... We now live in Cary NC due to my husband's job relo and there is a whole lot less to do but it is growing and it is fun to seek out the different areas and embrase our new community. Maybe you should find different areas to explore, you might be surprised with what you find.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:40 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times
I say, move back to NY and enjoy your show! while you watch all the people around you walking in the streets and filling up the tennis courts and pools and while sitting in the bumper to bumper NY traffic! been there done that, you're not fooling me!
I am sorry for you that you realized so late that people who live in Tampa work too and don't sit in the sun all day long as you probably thought!

I come from Europe, so the culture thing is a completely separate issue I won't even get into, but, if you're looking for culture and historic US living, why move here? and complain about it? move to Charleston, or Savannah, or New Orleans, I think you didn't do a lot of research before moving! I think you coming here to ***** about Tampa is ridiculous, Tampa is a great city and we just moved here from Orlando and WE LOVE IT! and the beaches are AWESOME! I will turn very ugly if you talk bad about the beaches here! have you been to Daytona yet? do that, and then talk about the beaches here!
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere anywhere in this world, you will see traffic! were you just born yesterday?

Have a safe trip back North!

Old 11-21-2007, 05:21 AM

164 posts, read 652,894 times
You just need to give it some more time. I know a few people felt like you and now they love it. Maybe a trip back home will refresh why you left.. What does weight and looks got to do with anything. The real person is inside there heart and sole. Sounds like you gotta grow up a bit .Now go and put the big boy pants on. ENJOY YOUR DAY .

Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,085,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobraboy View Post
It's been almost 2 months and am still struggling to like Tampa....not that I had a choice in moving here

- This place has no "living" historic areas
- Traffic - you gotta see the volume to believe it, the traffic lights are SOOOO F*ING LOOOONGGG
- You'd think the people would be more active with the weather being nice - the people are fat and ugly and you don't see anyone walking around - the tennis courts are empty, the swimming pools are empty, the jogging trails are empty
- If you are an active, younger adult (20s, 30s, 40s), you'd be hard pressed to find others like you
- If are a white collar worker with higher level of education from a good university, you'd be hard pressed to find others like you
- This place is like a huge suburb of 2 million lower middle class, blue collar people with hobos mixed in
- They consider themselves "the South" but I don't think that's correct at all. "The South" had some culture, but Tampa has zilch.
- If you are thinking this is somewhat of an ocean-side community - it's not and neither does it feel like it.
- The less said about their voting patterns the better - but it's not surprising considering the way they think (or not).
I recommend taking a look at St. Petersburg. Downtown has a lot going on and there are some very nice historic neighborhoods, especially nice is old North East. I agree, though, Tampa is the product of unmanaged sprawl and everyone runs red lights because, if you don't, you'll watch every light in the city turn green then back to red, and green again before you get through. Walking is dangerous and there are major hit and runs every other week.
If you're stuck in Tampa, though, check out Tampa Heights or Seminole Heights. There are some shady areas but alot of neighborhoods are getting fixed up as people are realizing that commuting from New Tampa and Pasco County sucks.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 AM

121 posts, read 515,491 times
I've lived in Tampa for six years now and I hate it. However, I still believe in an honest portrayal, rather than an emotional one. Anyone mind if I take a stab at this one?

-This place has no "living" historic areas
Depending on what you mean by "living historic areas", it does, though they really are few and far between. There is Fort Desoto in St. Petersburg. Ybor City in and of itself is a marker of the past. And those "dumpy little houses" that surround Centro Ybor? Those at one time belonged to cigar workers. Crowded in small houses, they produced some of the finest cigars in the country. Take a gander into some of the bars, while you're at it. You'll notice a handful still have the old tin ceilings, crown moldings, woodwork, or other touches here and there that hold true to the original buildings.

Partially true. Tampa is an explosion of Applebees, IHOP's, TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays...if it's a chain, we have it. However, scattered throughout are some fantastic restaurants. Iavarones Steakhouse. Wrights Gourmet Deli. Carmines in Ybor (last time I checked). Ted Peters Smoked Fish House in St. Pete. There are more, but they do exist. It just bothers me that here in Tampa, people favor the chains.

I have to agree with this wholeheartedly. Tampa did not expand properly. They did not anticipate the influx of people to this city and the surrounding areas. It is not NY City Gridlock, but it's been likened by many to New Jersey.

I have to agree with this as well. Not only are there more careless drivers here, but they are MEAN. Sure, you can live in surrounding areas such as Lutz, Wesley Chapel, etc. But we're not talking about those areas, we're talking about TAMPA. And while not everyone is a maniac, a surprising majority are rude, mean, spiteful, and just plain careless.

In the summer? Yes, but then again, no one wants to go out in the heat. In the nicer areas, sure - you'll see kids playing on playgrounds, or the occasional tennis match, but the original poster does have a point - it's not as active as you would think. And what really gets me (what really gets me!) is the amount of business the tanning salons do here. This is Florida - the sunshine capital! And the tanning booths turn them out like a conga line.

I don't believe this is true in the least. For an active, younger adult, Tampa does have a very nice night life. There are bars, clubs, concerts, sports games, etc. I hate living here, but I am very proud of Tampa's entertainment venues. There are so many people to meet and greet at these events, and given Tampa's multicultural, multi-income background, you're likely to find something that suits you, as well as some"one."

Also not true. In the least.

This was obviously one of the more "emotional" responses, rather than a fair one. It IS a huge suburb, and there ARE too many people here (there really are), but you've got everything from the filthy rich to the prostitute on the corner.

The houses are NOT cheap, though with the housing bubble burst, they are finally coming down. A 1,200 sq ft. home last year averaged $400,000. If you DID have the money, and wanted a nice waterfront mansion, the going price was, at the very least, 1.5m. The apartments converting to condos boom left buyers paying 200k - 400k for a one bedroom. The housing bubble has burst though, and the prices are finally dropping (they really have no choice otherwise). People all over the country are feeling it, but Florida had one of the biggest booms, and we're all sort of wondering if it will have the biggest "thud."

As far as character, I almost agree. There are a good handful of houses with character, but the vast majority LACK IT. It really is true. With the above-mentioned housing boom, Tampa became a haven for HOA's, communities, and look-alike housing developments, where you can pass sugar to a neighbor out your window.

Actually, they are. Clearwater is not the cleanest beach (or area), and the nicer beaches (Anna Maria Island, etc.) are a far drive from Tampa. Fort Desoto in St. Pete is nice, and quiet, and well-kept, but if you have grandiose visions of the Gulf, they will not be found close to Tampa.

Tampa tries to be. It succeeds well in some places, fails miserably in others. I think this is more subjective.

Auto Insurance is a give or take here. It's not so bad, I would rank it 'average' compared to the rest of the country. But he does make a point - in order to KEEP your insurance from spiking BECAUSE of nitwit drivers (because they really do exist here, en masse!), then drive sensibly.

Furthermore, it's not the auto insurance you have to worry about, it's homeowners insurance, and property taxes that will gouge you.

I found this statement odd, because I've never heard anyone here say that. In fact, I hear many people say the pride themselves on being the Non-Southern State, because though Florida is a southern state, the wide culture and influx of tourists make it something else entirely.

Well first off, of course it isn't. Tampa is Gulf, not Ocean. Naples is more picturesque of an 'oceanside community', but for the true effect, you need to go to the Atlantic, not the Gulf.

Florida itself suffered quite the embarrassment during the last election, we're all well aware. However, Governor Crist has taken some very appropriate steps, and for the most part, I think we do just fine.

Whew! All right, how'd I do?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:45 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I've lived in Tampa for six years now and I hate it. However, I still believe in an honest portrayal, rather than an emotional one. Anyone mind if I take a stab at this one?

-This place has no "living" historic areas
Depending on what you mean by "living historic areas", it does, though they really are few and far between. There is Fort Desoto in St. Petersburg. Ybor City in and of itself is a marker of the past. And those "dumpy little houses" that surround Centro Ybor? Those at one time belonged to cigar workers. Crowded in small houses, they produced some of the finest cigars in the country. Take a gander into some of the bars, while you're at it. You'll notice a handful still have the old tin ceilings, crown moldings, woodwork, or other touches here and there that hold true to the original buildings.

Partially true. Tampa is an explosion of Applebees, IHOP's, TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays...if it's a chain, we have it. However, scattered throughout are some fantastic restaurants. Iavarones Steakhouse. Wrights Gourmet Deli. Carmines in Ybor (last time I checked). Ted Peters Smoked Fish House in St. Pete. There are more, but they do exist. It just bothers me that here in Tampa, people favor the chains.

I have to agree with this wholeheartedly. Tampa did not expand properly. They did not anticipate the influx of people to this city and the surrounding areas. It is not NY City Gridlock, but it's been likened by many to New Jersey.

I have to agree with this as well. Not only are there more careless drivers here, but they are MEAN. Sure, you can live in surrounding areas such as Lutz, Wesley Chapel, etc. But we're not talking about those areas, we're talking about TAMPA. And while not everyone is a maniac, a surprising majority are rude, mean, spiteful, and just plain careless.

In the summer? Yes, but then again, no one wants to go out in the heat. In the nicer areas, sure - you'll see kids playing on playgrounds, or the occasional tennis match, but the original poster does have a point - it's not as active as you would think. And what really gets me (what really gets me!) is the amount of business the tanning salons do here. This is Florida - the sunshine capital! And the tanning booths turn them out like a conga line.

I don't believe this is true in the least. For an active, younger adult, Tampa does have a very nice night life. There are bars, clubs, concerts, sports games, etc. I hate living here, but I am very proud of Tampa's entertainment venues. There are so many people to meet and greet at these events, and given Tampa's multicultural, multi-income background, you're likely to find something that suits you, as well as some"one."

Also not true. In the least.

This was obviously one of the more "emotional" responses, rather than a fair one. It IS a huge suburb, and there ARE too many people here (there really are), but you've got everything from the filthy rich to the prostitute on the corner.

The houses are NOT cheap, though with the housing bubble burst, they are finally coming down. A 1,200 sq ft. home last year averaged $400,000. If you DID have the money, and wanted a nice waterfront mansion, the going price was, at the very least, 1.5m. The apartments converting to condos boom left buyers paying 200k - 400k for a one bedroom. The housing bubble has burst though, and the prices are finally dropping (they really have no choice otherwise). People all over the country are feeling it, but Florida had one of the biggest booms, and we're all sort of wondering if it will have the biggest "thud."

As far as character, I almost agree. There are a good handful of houses with character, but the vast majority LACK IT. It really is true. With the above-mentioned housing boom, Tampa became a haven for HOA's, communities, and look-alike housing developments, where you can pass sugar to a neighbor out your window.

Actually, they are. Clearwater is not the cleanest beach (or area), and the nicer beaches (Anna Maria Island, etc.) are a far drive from Tampa. Fort Desoto in St. Pete is nice, and quiet, and well-kept, but if you have grandiose visions of the Gulf, they will not be found close to Tampa.

Tampa tries to be. It succeeds well in some places, fails miserably in others. I think this is more subjective.

Auto Insurance is a give or take here. It's not so bad, I would rank it 'average' compared to the rest of the country. But he does make a point - in order to KEEP your insurance from spiking BECAUSE of nitwit drivers (because they really do exist here, en masse!), then drive sensibly.

Furthermore, it's not the auto insurance you have to worry about, it's homeowners insurance, and property taxes that will gouge you.

I found this statement odd, because I've never heard anyone here say that. In fact, I hear many people say the pride themselves on being the Non-Southern State, because though Florida is a southern state, the wide culture and influx of tourists make it something else entirely.

Well first off, of course it isn't. Tampa is Gulf, not Ocean. Naples is more picturesque of an 'oceanside community', but for the true effect, you need to go to the Atlantic, not the Gulf.

Florida itself suffered quite the embarrassment during the last election, we're all well aware. However, Governor Crist has taken some very appropriate steps, and for the most part, I think we do just fine.

Whew! All right, how'd I do?

Good Stuff Captain - i'll just add some of my 2 cents..

Living Historic areas - Hyde Park, Tampa Heights, Seminole Heights, Riverside Heights, Ybor City, West Tampa, Port Tampa City in Tampa and Old Northeast, Kenwood, Roser Park in St. Pete.

No Restaurants worth anything - I eat out ALOT, and hardley ever to a chain. This site details all the local eateries that are non-chain - Find a new place to eat - Local Eater
A few Nationally recogonized - Bern's, Malio's, Laughing Cat, Mise En Place, Donatello's, Red Mesa just to name a few.
Cruise down the Tampa areas "Restaurant Rows" - 7th Avenue from 13th to 23rd St in Ybor City; Central Avenue from 6th street to Beach Drive in St. Pete; S Howard Ave from W Cleveland Street to Bayshore Blvd in Tampa; Armenia Avenue from Waters Avenue to Columbus Avenue in Tampa; Beach Boulevard from 28th Ave to Shore Boulevard in Gulfport; Main Street from the Gulf to Highland Avenue in Dunedin.

Active - cruise down Bayshore Blvd, along Gandy Bridge(Friendship Trail), Flatwoods/Wilderness Parks, Harbour Island Athletic Club and YMCA's, any of the many gyms in the area - just a few places in the area you will find LOTS of active people! I would assume you need to be around active people to see active people.

Beaches - Fort DeSoto, Pass-a-Grille, Caledesi Island, Honeymoon Island, Egmont Key - overrated??? I dont think it gets any better than that....I travel LOTS, grew up on Long Island, NY beaches...I dont consider those I named to be overrated, but to each his own.

Ocean Side Community - you would actually need to be on the ocean, but the Tampa area is a Bay side community, the Bay is everywhere around Tampa/St. Pete. And you really can't go far without seeing some body of water(rivers, streams, esturary's, lakes).

Last edited by tampaguy03; 11-21-2007 at 09:02 AM..

Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 AM

165 posts, read 516,546 times
Two words: Siesta Key.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:51 AM

8 posts, read 41,638 times
Floridians are NOT fat and ugly. I've traveled and actually Floridians (note that MOST of the people here aren't originally from here) are some of the best looking people.

If you think everyone is white trash or blue collar here, YOU obviously live in the wrong part of Tampa. It's not our fault you can't afford anything better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay