Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:36 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
The traffic sure is stressful.
nothing even close to other cities (NYC, Los Angeles, Miami, Washington DC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 05:37 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
What's a "surface street"?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 PM

440 posts, read 595,702 times
This is ridiculous, apparently a city like Detroit going bankrupt doesn't qualify it to be the most stressful city?! I can't recall another city that has done that. Not to mention all the problems we have up here in Cleveland, most of them making national news! But i guess this those factors don't weigh in. I'll take Tampa over any of these Midwest dumps of cities up here anyday!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
nothing even close to other cities (NYC, Los Angeles, Miami, Washington DC)
I don't drive in them places so it means nothing.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:37 PM

478 posts, read 700,720 times
Try living in Camden, New Jersey......always in the yearly running for Murder Capital of the US.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What drove away manufacturing from the U.S.? Why are our cars made in Mexico, our clothes in Indonesia, our electronics in China, baseballs are made in Costa Rica, the list is virtually endless. Simple reason.

Yes, it is a simple reason. GREED.

Manufacturers cannot turn a profit with American labor. If it is made in the U.S. the cost of the item to the end user is astronomical compared to the same exact item produced elsewhere.

Airbus just opened a plant in Alabama.

Where does that leave us? Right where we are in a consumer based wasteland. U.S. businesses have become service industries. We pay our people to service the needs of other people. The current list of "Fortune 500" companies contains more service companies and fewer manufacturers than in previous decades. Services represent approximately 85 percent of our economy.

Forty years ago, you could drop out of high school to take a job on the assembly line at a factory. You could have gotten a good blue-collar wage, bought a house and retired on a good pension.

I'll be eligible for two pensions in a couple of years. Thank you IBEW and CWA.

You could have lived the American Dream. These days the American auto industry is in deep long-term crisis, the big car companies can't pay for those generous union pension benefits.

??? They're making huge profits and selling record numbers of vehicles.

Now days a college degree is necessary for any kind of high-paid job.

Rot. You may not get a corner office on the 50th floor, but there's plenty of decent jobs for those who are willing to get some training.

Another thing is that the overall number of jobs in the U.S. has been flat since 2000. I wouldnt be too concerned with the return of sweatshops. Those jobs are now elsewhere. The choices for the American worker have become limited and will become more limited with time.

We ain't in Kansas anymore.
I agree we're not in Kansas.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 PM

484 posts, read 761,282 times
Tampa is not the most stressful place *for me*. YMMV, right?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
I flew up to NYC last February to help my niece out with her two children 2&5 yrs. old...had to take them to school/daycare and pick them up, take them to school Valentine's dance get their hair cut etc...Holy heck that was stressful...first there was snow up to my knees that got plowed into piles so parking which is usually bad was horrendous...getting all their snow gear...boots ,hats ,mittens etc. on was a hassle , driving on ice with Asian drivers all around me(God love them they are smart people, but put them behind the wheel of a car...)the kids had runny noses the whole time,so I got to fly out of LaGuardia sick as a dog and my flight was delayed because the "union" mechanic left at 7pm on Sundays so he left our plane half way thru the job...raised two kids here in Tampa since 1997,much less stress!!!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
I swear I thought somebody pulled an old thread, "Tampa Bay or Florida is the worst ....(add what you want)." Apparently this was a new post .

It was about time to get one of these entertaining "studies." Has been some time without one.

Next?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I flew up to NYC last February to help my niece out with her two children 2&5 yrs. old...had to take them to school/daycare and pick them up, take them to school Valentine's dance get their hair cut etc...Holy heck that was stressful...first there was snow up to my knees that got plowed into piles so parking which is usually bad was horrendous...getting all their snow gear...boots ,hats ,mittens etc. on was a hassle , driving on ice with Asian drivers all around me(God love them they are smart people, but put them behind the wheel of a car...)the kids had runny noses the whole time,so I got to fly out of LaGuardia sick as a dog and my flight was delayed because the "union" mechanic left at 7pm on Sundays so he left our plane half way thru the job...raised two kids here in Tampa since 1997,much less stress!!!
What airline were you flying where maintenance leaves at
7pm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay