Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,982 times

Advertisements

In Glennon we trust.

He's the franchise QB. Remember, Aaron Rogers sat on the bench a couple years also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
He's a solid backup right now. Lets see what he does under Tedford. If McCown goes down, we could do a lot worse with other backups. Glennon threw 19 TDs with awful support last season.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:38 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
AOL.com Article - Ex-players: NFL illegally used drugs to mask injuries

'nuff said. This isn't sports, this is gladiator type stuff. Sportsmanship is gone from the game, I guess it went a long time ago, though.

That's pretty crappy, though, not to let a player know he has an injury, or a more serious injury than he's told.

How would the owners, management and medical personnel like to get a bogus diagnosis when they have a medical problem?

Why not just go all in and do like the Romans did with thumbs up and down? Feed the losers to the lions or something.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:18 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
AOL.com Article - Ex-players: NFL illegally used drugs to mask injuries

'nuff said. This isn't sports, this is gladiator type stuff. Sportsmanship is gone from the game, I guess it went a long time ago, though.

That's pretty crappy, though, not to let a player know he has an injury, or a more serious injury than he's told.

How would the owners, management and medical personnel like to get a bogus diagnosis when they have a medical problem?

Why not just go all in and do like the Romans did with thumbs up and down? Feed the losers to the lions or something.
This isn't nothing new or even particular to sports is no different than the kids popping ADHD meds to cram for a
Final, construction workers popping pain pills for their backs, people do what they got do.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
This isn't nothing new or even particular to sports is no different than the kids popping ADHD meds to cram for a
Final, construction workers popping pain pills for their backs, people do what they got do.
And that's OK with you? What struck me is that the players were lied to as to their true condition and given drugs to mask it.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:54 PM

I remember when this issue was dealt with in the movie North Dallas 40 in the 1970s. To me, it's one thing if the player is fully informed and chooses to block the pain in order to keep on playing. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it. He has the choice to quit.

However, to lie to a player about the seriousness of his condition to keep him playing is another thing entirely, never mind treating him illegally. Informed consent is important. I'm sure you'd want your doctor to give you a correct diagnosis when it's needed.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:21 AM

Another NFL player money-grab. They just got a huge concussion settlement, now this.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I remember when this issue was dealt with in the movie North Dallas 40 in the 1970s. To me, it's one thing if the player is fully informed and chooses to block the pain in order to keep on playing. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it. He has the choice to quit.

However, to lie to a player about the seriousness of his condition to keep him playing is another thing entirely, never mind treating him illegally. Informed consent is important. I'm sure you'd want your doctor to give you a correct diagnosis when it's needed.
I think it's two different things, i am sure abuses went on in the 70's, 80's and players were not as well compensated as they are now. Today's NFL they take orientation classes with the side effects of drugs and common pain killers, That should be all the teams needed due diligence.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 AM

I watched Jim McMahon during his career (even read his autobiography). The guy has always been anti-establishment - anti-NFL management. Now he's crawling back to them to complain that they didn't take care of him during his NFL career? He took every opportunity during his career to thumb his nose at the NFL. Can't feel sorry for him.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I think it's two different things, i am sure abuses went on in the 70's, 80's and players were not as well compensated as they are now. Today's NFL they take orientation classes with the side effects of drugs and common pain killers, That should be all the teams needed due diligence.
Now THAT makes sense. It seems that today's NFL is making it so that there IS informed consent for the players and they can't say they didn't know the risks. Earlier on, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay