Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Although one thing I did hear in the aftermath of the spill was that there was some sort of anaerobic bacteria that was thriving on the oil and consuming it, so to speak. Now that's something I could believe. That the dispersant was "harmless", not so much.

There's a poster here called Travelassie who could probably give more information on this. She seems to know a lot about life of the Gulf.
ACK! I don't, really, but I can go look stuff up and see what others say about it.

It's true though, that there are bacteria that can break down oil and use it as a food source. I'm sure that BP would have used those, as well as other dispersants, anything to get rid of that spill. I'd think that the bacteria are still around in those waters, as there are always some fuel spills from shipping.

Let's see what folks who know much more about this than I do say about it.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:36 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
ACK! I don't, really, but I can go look stuff up and see what others say about it.

It's true though, that there are bacteria that can break down oil and use it as a food source. I'm sure that BP would have used those, as well as other dispersants, anything to get rid of that spill. I'd think that the bacteria are still around in those waters, as there are always some fuel spills from shipping.

Let's see what folks who know much more about this than I do say about it.
Wow, I don't want to make you go through all that research by any means, just if you knew anything about it. I had heard the bacteria was naturally occurring and clustered by the spill in response to the oil coming out. I've also heard it clusters at the sites of smaller leaks, which apparently happen all the time. But maybe I'm mixed up. If there is such a thing, I would hope oil companies would harvest such bacteria and place it at these sites, but then again, many corporations are not exactly known for doing things that "gasp!" might be beneficial. Especially if it costs money. And many times even if it doesn't.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:22 AM

30,450 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Where did all that oil go? It seemed to be gushing out for a awful long time.
Plenty of it is sitting on the bottom in deep water. At least it never made down to areas i fish offshore.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:42 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Where did all that oil go? It seemed to be gushing out for a awful long time.
Eaten by natural bacteria. Oil naturally leaks into the ocean. There is a system to handle much of it.

Study: Oil-Eating Bacteria Mitigated Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill - US News

"Oil-eating bacteria that are abundant in the Gulf of Mexico may have prevented the 2010 Deepwater Horizon spill from being more catastrophic, according to new research discussed Monday."

Old 06-07-2014, 09:02 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,023,417 times
Quote:
This reminds me of the way the weather was during spring and summer of the BP oil spill in 2010. Really weird weather. I sometimes wonder if the spill continues to have an effect on the weather here. I'm no expert, but I sort of compared it to putting plastic wrap over sections of water.
It was sad, the rednecks were covered with oil and immobilized.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Eaten by natural bacteria. Oil naturally leaks into the ocean. There is a system to handle much of it.

Study: Oil-Eating Bacteria Mitigated Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill - US News

"Oil-eating bacteria that are abundant in the Gulf of Mexico may have prevented the 2010 Deepwater Horizon spill from being more catastrophic, according to new research discussed Monday."
That's what I recall. Until the Deepwater Horizon spill, I'd never heard of such a thing. I'm glad to hear they had such a role in mitigating the disaster.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:32 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
Yes, I don't think people realize how important trees can be. We have a nice live oak on the west side of the house. It makes all the difference during the summer for sure. Keeps our cooling bills down. This business of cutting trees down en masse to to make way for a subdivision is obscene, IMO. And don't get me started on HOAs that object to trees.
We actually have replaced Oaks for Palm trees but we still shade and that keeps it nicer in the house.

But some home owners in my area seem to be in financial hardships or not too smart since they keep their window open day night in 92F or they may think there house is nicer when it can be used as a sauna...I think mildew and other things will love the house too, sooner than later

Old 06-07-2014, 03:36 PM

Another sucky 100% soild sunshine day with no chance of rain for me. A/C running 24/7 and 82 in the house. Guess i am gonna suck up and get a new A/C sooner than later.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Another sucky 100% soild sunshine day with no chance of rain for me. A/C running 24/7 and 82 in the house. Guess i am gonna suck up and get a new A/C sooner than later.
Speaking of AC, has anyone noticed that some retail outlets and offices seem to be a lot warmer in the past few years than they used to be? I used to joke that in certain parts of Florida, you have to go outside to get warm, because most places kept the AC nice and cool. Not so much, anymore. At least that's the way it seems to me. We keep our home thermostat at 78 pretty much throughout the hot season.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Speaking of AC, has anyone noticed that some retail outlets and offices seem to be a lot warmer in the past few years than they used to be? I used to joke that in certain parts of Florida, you have to go outside to get warm, because most places kept the AC nice and cool. Not so much, anymore. At least that's the way it seems to me. We keep our home thermostat at 78 pretty much throughout the hot season.
I would be fine with 78. Just cost 2 much to run it colder for some of these big buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay