Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
My wife an I made our decision to move to Tampa back in May. Since then we have done our research, put a plan in place and started our preparations. Our goal is to be settled in Tampa by July/August 2015 prior to our daughter stating her first year of college.

Although we are months away from starting the serious job searches or putting our house on the market, we are starting to experience "moments of panic and doubt".
  • Are we making the right decision ?
  • What if we cant find jobs ?
  • What if the house does not sell ?
  • What if the house sells but we cant find jobs ?
  • What if we find jobs but the house wont sell ?
We've worked hard all our lives and and have good jobs and a home, I don't want to give it all up and end up with nothing. Okay, that's a little dramatic, we obviously are not going to end up on the streets but hey, you never know. Actually my wife and I have very marketable skills and experience, she's in insurance and I'm in IT.

We're 100% sure of our decision to move, we're confident things will work out, we just need to get past those moments of panic and doubt.

The feelings of panic and doubt IMO is natural, as you're uprooting yourselves and moving to another state. I felt the same, but my desire/years of wanting this outweighed those feelings.

I would however make sure you sell your home before coming here.

All the best!

Old 11-20-2014, 01:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree View Post
That's fine. I assume those who can't adapt live elsewhere rather than being miserable and complaining all the time.
That would be the logical course of action.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:49 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its all about opinion and personal preference and how one tolerates various weather conditions , i grew up in St Pete so i know all about Florida weather, I've lived for the past 35 years here in Montreal so i know all about winter,I know enough people who cant tolerate Floridas heat and humidity and look at it very negatively, knowing how one adapts to it is something to consider when relocating to the state.
Exactly! I would take a Chicago winter over a Florida summer any day. Besides the crappy roads in Chicago last winter was a piece of cake.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
With this abnormal cold snap and all the snow in the rest of the USA i wonder how many consider it the final straw that makes them move to Fla.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
50% of your "panic moments" are job related.

Get the job first and problem solved. You said you both have marketable skill. So, you should first get the job.
Bingo - if you are dead set on moving, get the jobs lined up first. And rent for the 1st year or so to see if you really like it ...

The Tampa area is home to quite a few relocated Buffalonians ...

Old 11-20-2014, 05:52 AM

105 posts, read 135,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
My wife an I made our decision to move to Tampa back in May. Since then we have done our research, put a plan in place and started our preparations. Our goal is to be settled in Tampa by July/August 2015 prior to our daughter stating her first year of college.

Although we are months away from starting the serious job searches or putting our house on the market, we are starting to experience "moments of panic and doubt".
  • Are we making the right decision ?
  • What if we cant find jobs ?
  • What if the house does not sell ?
  • What if the house sells but we cant find jobs ?
  • What if we find jobs but the house wont sell ?

We've worked hard all our lives and and have good jobs and a home, I don't want to give it all up and end up with nothing. Okay, that's a little dramatic, we obviously are not going to end up on the streets but hey, you never know. Actually my wife and I have very marketable skills and experience, she's in insurance and I'm in IT.

We're 100% sure of our decision to move, we're confident things will work out, we just need to get past those moments of panic and doubt.
Wow. Everything you mention (except your professions and having a daughter in college) is EXACTLY what we're going through! It's like you were reading my mind and created this thread for me! We're in Chicago and have had it with the winters. I see you're in Buffalo? I feel for you.

I'm a graphic artist and I was scanning the ads on Craigslist and was delightfully surprised to see the amount of ads in my field. I thought there would literally only be a couple but there's dozens. Plus I've searched the web and found many companies related to what I do so I believe it'll work out.

We are planning to put our house up for sale late winter/early spring and we are confident that things will work out as well. Don't panic. Have faith. You said it yourself. If you are confident things will work out, then there should be no panic or doubt We're religious and have faith in God and like my wife said, if the house sells, then it's meant to be. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:17 AM

473 posts, read 544,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree View Post
Rudy, given the winter snowstorm you just experienced, aren't you and your wife ready to move tomorrow? It is currently sunny and 62. Ah, winter in Florida!
We are so ready, fortunately for us we are in a northern suburb which has not gotten the worst.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 AM

473 posts, read 544,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
Wow. Everything you mention (except your professions and having a daughter in college) is EXACTLY what we're going through! It's like you were reading my mind and created this thread for me! We're in Chicago and have had it with the winters. I see you're in Buffalo? I feel for you.

I'm a graphic artist and I was scanning the ads on Craigslist and was delightfully surprised to see the amount of ads in my field. I thought there would literally only be a couple but there's dozens. Plus I've searched the web and found many companies related to what I do so I believe it'll work out.

We are planning to put our house up for sale late winter/early spring and we are confident that things will work out as well. Don't panic. Have faith. You said it yourself. If you are confident things will work out, then there should be no panic or doubt We're religious and have faith in God and like my wife said, if the house sells, then it's meant to be. Good luck!

Yep, we're only in our mid 40's but have had enough. We are very confident our house will sell quickly, our biggest concern is lining up jobs. But we are confident things will work out.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
With this abnormal cold snap and all the snow in the rest of the USA i wonder how many consider it the final straw that makes them move to Fla.
Yea, I am the first one to think the whole weather related moving is silly, I did ok with the cold in NYC, I am mostly tolerant of the heat here, having said that if I got 72 inches of snow in one day I might change my tune.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:49 AM

105 posts, read 135,498 times
Quote:
Its all about opinion and personal preference and how one tolerates various weather conditions , i grew up in St Pete so i know all about Florida weather, I've lived for the past 35 years here in Montreal so i know all about winter,I know enough people who cant tolerate Floridas heat and humidity and look at it very negatively, knowing how one adapts to it is something to consider when relocating to the state.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay