Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 03:11 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm sure there are a plethora of issues that could be considered equally as fraudulent.
I've never heard of a skimming device at a McDonalds cash register and thought we were discussing skimmers on gas pumps where people pump their gas,swipe their card then leave..
There are plenty of cases where cashiers or other employess have installed skimming devices on point-of-sale equiment, ATMs, and I am quite certain fuel dispensers as well. The current "epidemic" surely involves employees being part of the scheme or being paid off to look the other way at some location, somewhere.

I fail to see any difference, it's credit card theft/fraud by use of a skimming device whether it's on a gas pump or on a the magnetic strip reader on a cash register or ATM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 03:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
A while back, in NYC, a waiter at a restaurant we usually had lunch at would take the credit card and make an impression of the card for himself. That was before 'swiping' was possible. Same story now, but it is a better return to the criminal.
The ability to get dozens of card number and PINS in a short time without directly doing anything.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:48 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A while back, in NYC, a waiter at a restaurant we usually had lunch at would take the credit card and make an impression of the card for himself. That was before 'swiping' was possible. Same story now, but it is a better return to the criminal.
The ability to get dozens of card number and PINS in a short time without directly doing anything.
That's why the cc industry is going to EMV cards.

EMV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2015, 05:50 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
There was a little hole in the wall restaurant on CR1 in Dunedin where a waiter there was skimming credit cards...it was a family business and this guy was a nephew...it made local news...

Old 06-03-2015, 05:59 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
I have alerts on my cc's and debit if a charge is over $120 I am alerted by email...I picked the $120 amount...you can pick whatever you want...it is a good program...The crazy new policy at Chase (maybe others) that no one but you can deposit money into your account...huge issue for parents that have kids in college and want to put a few $$ in their account...also my 80 year old Mom wanted me to deposit $$ for her and they wouldn't let me...even though at this branch the tellers know me by sight...it's in response to money laundering...but some common sense and discretion should be in place...

Old 06-03-2015, 06:42 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post

It sure is high time to implement such a thing here. I mean they have ways to read card strips while the card is in your wallet.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:

Our CC has that now.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:27 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
The crazy new policy at Chase (maybe others) that no one but you can deposit money into your account...huge issue for parents that have kids in college and want to put a few $$ in their account...also my 80 year old Mom wanted me to deposit $$ for her and they wouldn't let me...even though at this branch the tellers know me by sight...it's in response to money laundering...but some common sense and discretion should be in place...
That's a dumb policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Our CC has that now.
Mine too, but I don't know of any merchants set up to take them.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:49 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It sure is high time to implement such a thing here. I mean they have ways to read card strips while the card is in your wallet.
That's very true and at one point I bought a card wallet from special material where they claim the card can't be read when it is inside that special wallet.

Usually the criminals benefit from government money and doing nothing all day then figuring out their next new scam and usually they are one step ahead until they get caught.

I know the owner of life lock was a victim at one time and therefore I'm not signing up as they can't prevent it from happening but they will offer help when it happens and products like that may be good for people who don't want to do the work themselves of being careful and checking accounts often.

We do that part ourselves and so far it still going well

Old 06-03-2015, 08:40 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Mine too, but I don't know of any merchants set up to take them.
Given my health issues, I only shop on Amazon.com. My wife shops at some local merchants, but never uses our CC at the gas pump. She travels for a living and has to use her company CC and it was a victim of a skimmer in NJ a few weeks back. Just more proof that using gas cards or cash is the best way to go, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay