Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Decade Is The Best To Buy A Home From?
1950's 10 27.78%
1960's 2 5.56%
1970's 4 11.11%
1980's 3 8.33%
1990's 6 16.67%
2000's 2 5.56%
2010's 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:21 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
They didn't make OSB or use plywood on houses back then, I agree the older houses are built better. I'm from Lincoln Park, MI. House I grew up in might a been built by your dad lol.
Could of been build by my grandfather my dad was skilled trade at GM Fort and Livernois the old Fisherbody plant. And yes I know they did not use those items back then that's why houses from the era are still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:39 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Depends. We've owned several homes in different states with various years of construction and renovation. Mostly, I think you get what you pay for.

One was built in 1911 and upgraded by seller; they did a pretty good job, except for plumbing, which we ended up re-doing.

One home was built in mid 1970s and was built as a vacation home and lacking in quality (but it was cheap and we were young and poor).

Bought another home built in the 1970s (we bought in 1997); it was designed and built by and lived in by an architect influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was/is timeless in design and quality.

One home was new construction that we bought in 1988...built by small custom builder and it was excellent.

Current home built in 1946, redone and added onto in 2007, very happy with upgrades as well as original construction.

So rather than look at the decade, you have to look at who built it and with what sort of standards/quality, as well as the standards/quality in any rehab that's been done to it.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Depends. We've owned several homes in different states with various years of construction and renovation. Mostly, I think you get what you pay for.

One was built in 1911 and upgraded by seller; they did a pretty good job, except for plumbing, which we ended up re-doing.

One home was built in mid 1970s and was built as a vacation home and lacking in quality (but it was cheap and we were young and poor).

Bought another home built in the 1970s (we bought in 1997); it was designed and built by and lived in by an architect influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was/is timeless in design and quality.

One home was new construction that we bought in 1988...built by small custom builder and it was excellent.

Current home built in 1946, redone and added onto in 2007, very happy with upgrades as well as original construction.

So rather than look at the decade, you have to look at who built it and with what sort of standards/quality, as well as the standards/quality in any rehab that's been done to it.
I know that the townhouse I'm renting was built by KB homes and it looks like a high school wood shop class built it , my Landloard has a lawsuit against them now.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:30 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
In general, I am a fan of homes in Florida built in 1940s- 1950s. We currently live in a small, 1954 rancher that is built like a little fort. Thick concrete walls covered with stucco, flawless terrazzo floors, and a huge open living room with vaulted ceiling that exposes the actual MASSIVE roof beams! No pre-fab trusses here. Yes, we did have to spend money upgrading all the sytems (plumbing, etc.) but I love living in a solid home with character.

I will add that when the roofers and inspectors made their inspections, they reported to the insurance company that this house was extremely well-built, with the best materials available at the time. Again, just a small 1400 sq ft home, nothing fancy.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:02 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
In general, I am a fan of homes in Florida built in 1940s- 1950s. We currently live in a small, 1954 rancher that is built like a little fort. Thick concrete walls covered with stucco, flawless terrazzo floors, and a huge open living room with vaulted ceiling that exposes the actual MASSIVE roof beams! No pre-fab trusses here. Yes, we did have to spend money upgrading all the sytems (plumbing, etc.) but I love living in a solid home with character.

I will add that when the roofers and inspectors made their inspections, they reported to the insurance company that this house was extremely well-built, with the best materials available at the time. Again, just a small 1400 sq ft home, nothing fancy.
Man, I miss terrazzo floors. I'd practically weep when I'd see someone cover them with carpet. My house was built in the mid 40s and while not fancy it is snug.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Man, I miss terrazzo floors. I'd practically weep when I'd see someone cover them with carpet. My house was built in the mid 40s and while not fancy it is snug.
And I hate it when someone puts wall to wall carpet over nice oak plank floors. Or they paint over all of that oak, or walnut trim especially around doorways, or window casing. Or they drywall over nice plaster walls and ceilings. Plasters were a art form all in its self a dying trade.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
I would say housing construction took a big noticeable decline in quality after 1995..Builders sacrificed quality to get the work done. Too many homes being built with fewer skilled craftsmen. With the large influx of border jumpers willing to work, builders took the easy way out. You can use all the quality parts to build a home, but if they are not installed properly they will fail down the road. They say the average homeowner stays in their house about 7 yrs, then it becomes someone else's problem. With the low quality of work on most houses it doesn't take long for a 15 yr old home to look 30!

Old 05-11-2015, 03:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
My partner owned a sub-contracting business in DC-Metro for 20 years. He did work for larger "tract" home builders for awhile, but soon went with a number of custom home builders who built far fewer homes, at far greater prices. The quality wasn't even close between the 'big' builders and the smaller custom builders. If you can, find yourself a builder who's been around for at least 10 years in the same area, but only builds a relatively few a year.

Some of the smaller custom builders went 'large' after awhile and the quality of their homes suffered, per my partner.

We have never and would never buy a tract home in a large subdivision, built by a cookie-cutter builder.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:37 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
I chose 80's for the mixture of both more modern building techniques/materials. The older homes are arguably built a little better but dealing with old piping, wiring, etc. sucks

Old 05-11-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I chose 80's for the mixture of both more modern building techniques/materials. The older homes are arguably built a little better but dealing with old piping, wiring, etc. sucks
Running new plumbing is easy today you use Pex tubing it's he same thing you use in radiant heated flooring. Same with electrical it's easy to run new wire and put in a new 200 amp service. And the houses built in the 40's and 50's will still be there long after the houses thy build today. You still can't beat a cast iron tub, or a claw foot tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: