Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,897,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Our neighborhood is extremely quiet....the kids of 'today' aren't nearly as noisy as we were as kids, actually. The teens all have earbuds and/or stare at their Smart phones. Younger ones aren't given too far a leash by caring parents, in this day and age, so it's not like they play in the street. Gulfport is full of parks....we can walk to several, and there's a skateboard park, too.

But I think it does our hearts good, seeing and interacting with people of all ages, including younger ones. I make it a point to engage them in conversation (even when they have to remove their earbuds). They are all respectful and greet us when we run into them elsewhere in town.

We are pet-free at the moment, but two other neighbors have hired local kids to walk their dogs. Interactions like that teach kids responsibility. And I have asked a few of the older teens for help with programming my new phone, downloading apps; they're a great resource!
The kids ages of around 5-15 all play in the streets, in the yards and in their pools. I can here them yelling and screaming, having kid fun all the time. I could go the rest of my life, or someone else's life LOL, never hearing or seeing any kids and that would still be too soon. We are definitely 55+ material. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 01:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
Teens driving for the first time, cars equipped with ear-splitting boom boxes........don't need that.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 5,742 times
My parents moved to Sun City Center, back in 1999. Dad has since passed, but mom is still there and loves it. So many things to do and easy access to shopping and doctors, all by golf cart. Not everyone in Sun City Center is old, many of the people that live there are extremely active and very young at heart. I'm in my 50's and some of them are more active than I am, playing volley ball, swimming, golfing, tennis, kayaking, and traveling. There are many clubs there that you can join.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:51 PM

299 posts, read 377,764 times
Check out The Villages. Everyone that I have spoken to that lives there have good things to say about it.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 AM

21 posts, read 71,416 times
I have a condo in King's Point, Sun City Center. I owned a home with a pool in Sun City Center before I bought the condo. I'm basically a snow bird. I spend most about 7 months near Philly, PA.
I can't find anything negative to say about Sun City Center. Yes, there is a lot of old people. If that bothers you, you don't belong in an over 55 community. I had three children and love the kids and grand children but I prefer an adult community. Don't miss listening to basketballs thumping day and night or little kids screeching constantly during the day. The streets in Sun City Center are clean with no litter, no graffiti on the walls. I don't have to worry about backing over a bike or toy some kid left in my driveway.

Sun City Center is centrally located and close to Tampa, Sarasota and Disney World.

I'm down here now because our daughter and grand children were at our condo for vacation. They used the community pool and spent a few days at Disney.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:59 AM

there are pretty decent price ranges to fit most budgets in KP, SCC.....HOAs are a little steep at KP, though, aren't they? That can turn some people away, but in my opinion, you get enough for your $$ to make it worth the price.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:35 PM

21 posts, read 71,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
there are pretty decent price ranges to fit most budgets in KP, SCC.....HOAs are a little steep at KP, though, aren't they? That can turn some people away, but in my opinion, you get enough for your $$ to make it worth the price.
The monthly HOA charge for my condo in SCC King's Point is $440. It includes exterior maintenance (roof, paint), grass cutting and landscaping, water, cable and insurance on the building. HOAs don't make a profit on the fees. The cost of the services have to add up and are charged to the condo owner. The part most people don't understand is the charge for the future replacement of the roof and exterior paint. That goes into a reserve account every month.

There are many other expenses that are included in the HOA cost. The maintenance of the club houses, pools, landscaping of the common areas, 24 hr. security on the main gate.

All things considered, you get what you pay for.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:41 PM

My KP HOA is $495. I'm wondering my mine is higher. I have water included, which is nice not having to worry about that. I can imagine the van shuttle service (which I hopefully won't need for many years) takes some money to manage as well. I'm just getting used to living here (KP) as I lived at another 55+ nearby and moved here for a larger house, better view, nice lot.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
How can you move in a 55+ if you are in your 40's? I would go today to be away from kids if i can get away with it.
Some communities I've lived in allowed a small percentage of people over 40 to buy. Also, with some exceptions, only 1 person has to be 55, so if the husband is 60 and the wife is 48, that's usually okay. (although I prefer it to be the other way around.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
Check out The Villages. Everyone that I have spoken to that lives there have good things to say about it.
If you go back and read the first post the OP wrote

Quote:
Please do not suggest the Villages--too far from the beaches and too crowded in the winter.
-------------------------------------

I'm torn on this subject, since I like peace & quiet, but I also love children. I felt so much more alive when I was walking around college towns like Gainesville FL. One day I was sitting in an Internet cafe sipping coffee and they were playing an old Bob Dylan song. Deja vu. Well, not quite. When I first heard that song, gas was 35 cts a gallon.

Quite possibly it wasn't the age of the people around me, but being in a city where I could walk around and take a bus. Hard to say. I had been living in a mobile home community in Port Charlotte with mostly snowbirds and retirees and, although there were numerous activities, swimming pools, tennis, block parties, etc., I always kept to myself. I guess I'd rather choose the people I associate with than pick a community for the people. Hope that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay