Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:07 PM

7,799 posts, read 6,422,600 times

Advertisements

We had a golf cart in AZ. On hot days it was hot, on colder winter days it was cold even with a top and side curtains. Out there you expect it to be over 100 every day during the summer. Winters are much cooler than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 02:48 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,526,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
How can you move in a 55+ if you are in your 40's? I would go today to be away from kids if i can get away with it.
80/20 rule - 20% of owners can be below 55+. I bought when the housing crisis was hitting the market and had no problem getting into the community. Have moved since to another 55+ (I'm not 55+ yet) and also got in. Just have to ask/pursue it. Love the fact that there's no snotty nosed kids where I live.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,931,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Love the fact that there's no snotty nosed kids where I live.
Jealous. Can I come visit?

Old 08-25-2015, 06:52 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,908,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Jealous. Can I come visit?
Can I tag along??

Old 08-25-2015, 07:37 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,919,515 times
Why do so many old people hate kids??? I love my neighbor's kids. The teenager down the block mows my yard now (big savings compared to service companies). His younger brother helps me weed. There are a few little ones in the neighborhood who stop by on Halloween. And a new baby girl, right across the street, so cute!

We have a nice mix of families, singles, working couples, and retirees and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Maybe some neighborhoods have "bad" kids, but ours are all a delight...seriously nice families.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:25 PM

30,511 posts, read 21,402,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Why do so many old people hate kids??? I love my neighbor's kids. The teenager down the block mows my yard now (big savings compared to service companies). His younger brother helps me weed. There are a few little ones in the neighborhood who stop by on Halloween. And a new baby girl, right across the street, so cute!

We have a nice mix of families, singles, working couples, and retirees and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Maybe some neighborhoods have "bad" kids, but ours are all a delight...seriously nice families.
I always hated kids even when i was a kid. I don't hate all of them.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 PM

94 posts, read 155,474 times
Quote:
We are early 60's and would never live in a 55+ community...the average age is usually much much higher. We've had 2 couples/friends who bought into 55+ communities (in different states) at age 65; both couples lasted under 2 years. Both had done 2 night stays before buying, but found after they moved in that the other residents for cliquish and all everyone ever talked about were diseases and BM's.

Both took losses on resale as each of their communities were still building new homes and it's hard to sell a used home in a developing community.

Personally, we don't care for gated communities either. When I think about the elders in my and my partner's families, the ones who lived the most active lives were those who lived independently in good old-fashioned neighborhoods, did their own household chores (mowing, shoveling, gardening, painting) into their 90s before having to hire someone to help them.

X2
We are also in our early 60S and winter on Big Bayou about 5min from downtown St Pete.
these 55 and over //Gated places are for people who like living in a bubble. My brother lives in one in Sarasota (higher end double wides) I would not live there if it was free, way way to many rules for me

Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Can I tag along??
Yep.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:

I have hated kids since I was in my twenties. I hate the constant noise. So much yelling and screaming. Such high pitched voices. I like quiet and calm. I like peaceful.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:44 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,919,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I have hated kids since I was in my twenties. I hate the constant noise. So much yelling and screaming. Such high pitched voices. I like quiet and calm. I like peaceful.
Our neighborhood is extremely quiet....the kids of 'today' aren't nearly as noisy as we were as kids, actually. The teens all have earbuds and/or stare at their Smart phones. Younger ones aren't given too far a leash by caring parents, in this day and age, so it's not like they play in the street. Gulfport is full of parks....we can walk to several, and there's a skateboard park, too.

But I think it does our hearts good, seeing and interacting with people of all ages, including younger ones. I make it a point to engage them in conversation (even when they have to remove their earbuds). They are all respectful and greet us when we run into them elsewhere in town.

We are pet-free at the moment, but two other neighbors have hired local kids to walk their dogs. Interactions like that teach kids responsibility. And I have asked a few of the older teens for help with programming my new phone, downloading apps; they're a great resource!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay