Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 02:06 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times

Advertisements

Can state governors refuse what Obama wants? If Obama said to send a certain number of refugees to Florida, I'm thinking Gov. Scott can't say no, right?

Old 11-16-2015, 02:14 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Can state governors refuse what Obama wants? If Obama said to send a certain number of refugees to Florida, I'm thinking Gov. Scott can't say no, right?
Scott takes every opportunity to refuse anything coming from Pres Obama - light rail, health care reform, so I didn't surprise me to hear on WFLA that he's not going to accept refugees. I suppose Obama could cut funding to Fla in one way or another in retribution? Not sure.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:26 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Sure enough terror happened by itself and all people as a nation have nothing to do with it. Or maybe it was just one bad guy. Very convenient!
Sorry, but people there were raised with different mentality, so don't be surprised of charges coming towards this county... in the near future.
I am with bentlebee on this one - want to help? Fine! Let's do it on their territory...
What a hypocrite! You both immigrated to US and now wanting to close the door on others? It is OK to come from old soviet country like you do but not from the middle east?

Old 11-16-2015, 02:38 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In a way we all came in!

I don't want to close the door for legal aliens!

I don't want to close the door for refugees that have to fear their life but as we have seen in Europe these refugees have brand name clothes and fancy phones and most of them are young men which clearly means they are economic refugees and therefore should apply for a visa and come in like the rest of the economic aliens.
On top of that there are interviews you can see online, with refugees who admit they are economic refugees!

I'm against illegal aliens and against people who we can't figure out if they tell the truth or not and we need to know who they are.

Since this group is so large and more and more are going abroad for a better life and not fear of the regime they should stay in the area.

The ones who are really fleeing from ISIS should also be helped in the area in a safe zone and not be placed in a different culture they have a hard time to understand.

There is a lot that can be done without replacing them in a different culture, different climate, etc.
Ok, let me get this straight, there is group of people fleeing a war zone, that part is not debatable with nothing but the clothes on their back, but because those clothes are knock off Calvin Klein they don't deserve your help, the demonization of the poor has gone international.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:01 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
If he could find a way to make money on it, believe you me, we'd be taking all of the refugees.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:30 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Seems fair to me...

From the article:

Quote:
Gov. Scott also requested the federal funding for the 425 refugees to be cut unless “the risk these individuals may pose to our national security” is extensively evaluated
American citizens are required to have their background investigated for any number of things (purchasing a gun, getting a decent job, and so on). So, it's not unreasonable to investigate the backgrounds of people wanting to come here under these circumstances and in these times.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
looks like he's not alone.....guess there's always California......they'll take 'em.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:49 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
There's always this: Anonymous declares war on ISIS in YouTube video saying it will

Old 11-16-2015, 05:14 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
This seems like a very strange and very dangerous time, to be letting all these people in. I've never understood for a country (USA) that shows so little interest in its own people. It thinks nothing of putting the welcome mat out for so many refugee's. Is even more tolerant and allows all the millions of illegals to pour in. That problem could have been fixed years ago, but its obvious there isn't enough interest by the gov't to do so. I still think you have to fix your own house, before you attempt to fix others.

It is true refugees are given excellent benefits, the moment they arrive in this country. The Providence Journal ran a story several years ago, about Somali refugee's in the state. The amount of benefits from free housing and furnishings to food, utilities and a used car. It irritated many people in the state, a state that has been doing some real struggling. The highest unemployment in the USA, with one of the highest tax burdens in the country.

No I'm not for all this resettlement, at least presently. I understand a number of governors have told Washington there states will not accept them. Perhaps when things settle down if they ever do. There is no real way to do background checks on these people, and I feel we are setting ourselves up for some serious terrorist attacks in this country. It has already been found at least 1 or more terrorist made it into France by refugee status. I think attacks are imminent and are right around the corner. This is the absolute wrong time, to be taking in people from that corner of the world. What should be done is resettlement in an area of the Middle East. A UN Sponsored resettlement. I think the USA has done way more, than a country should have to do all along. It's time for others to take a turn.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:13 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
This seems like a very strange and very dangerous time, to be letting all these people in. I've never understood for a country (USA) that shows so little interest in its own people. It thinks nothing of putting the welcome mat out for so many refugee's. Is even more tolerant and allows all the millions of illegals to pour in. That problem could have been fixed years ago, but its obvious there isn't enough interest by the gov't to do so. I still think you have to fix your own house, before you attempt to fix others.

It is true refugees are given excellent benefits, the moment they arrive in this country. The Providence Journal ran a story several years ago, about Somali refugee's in the state. The amount of benefits from free housing and furnishings to food, utilities and a used car. It irritated many people in the state, a state that has been doing some real struggling. The highest unemployment in the USA, with one of the highest tax burdens in the country.

No I'm not for all this resettlement, at least presently. I understand a number of governors have told Washington there states will not accept them. Perhaps when things settle down if they ever do. There is no real way to do background checks on these people, and I feel we are setting ourselves up for some serious terrorist attacks in this country. It has already been found at least 1 or more terrorist made it into France by refugee status. I think attacks are imminent and are right around the corner. This is the absolute wrong time, to be taking in people from that corner of the world. What should be done is resettlement in an area of the Middle East. A UN Sponsored resettlement. I think the USA has done way more, than a country should have to do all along. It's time for others to take a turn.
Man, you are so right on. Thank you for your post. Yes, indeedy, isn't it interesting we can find the money for these "refugees", but not our own people who are in need?. I am completely disgusted with the mewling and puking over the "poor refugees" while many of our own citizens are thrown under the bus.

Oh, and yes, let's go swat hornets' nests outside our house and then open wide the doors and windows and let 'em in.

What about the separation of church and state? Do people realize that so-called "religious" organizations are being paid handsomely to dump refugees in various places around the country, leaving the local citizenry to cope? Anyone who is genuinely interested in the issue should check out the excellent website, Refugee Re-Settlement Watch. https://refugeeresettlementwatch.wordpress.com/

Personally, I think this is all one big shakedown scam, using Islam as a method to terrorize and control citizens. It's happening in Europe, and it'll happen here. Why don't the rich Middle Eastern countries like our so-called ally Saudi Arabia take them in? Plenty of room, plenty of wealth. Instead, Saudi Arabia offers to fund mosques in Europe to accommodate the refugees, no doubt splitting their sides laughing, like they did after 9/11 when they hit us. And we've been doing their bidding ever since, like we are right now in Syria. I guess the Iraq farce wasn't enuf. Are ya mewling over the "refugees"? Well, then, why don't you get on one of your fancy smart phones and contact your Senator or Representative and tell him or her to stop bombing Syria at the Saudis behest, huh? Tell them to stop funding ISIS and stop the bloodshed. It'll take you less time than pounding the keyboard here accusing people of being bigots and Timothy McVeigh and Bigfoot or whatever tripe you want to spew, and it will allow people to live peacefully in their homelands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay