Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 05:50 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Reeves did go complain to the manager and upon returning to his seat was accosted for doing so.
Then like i said, i would have shot the guy. I no longer keep a gun on me or my cars- trucks. I fear for what i could do. I do keep a gun in every room in the house. So if someone breaks in it's fair game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 06:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Then like i said, i would have shot the guy. I no longer keep a gun on me or my cars- trucks. I fear for what i could do. I do keep a gun in every room in the house. So if someone breaks in it's fair game.
Although I don't agree with you, we have something in common, that is, I also don't like crowds of people and keep to myself much of the time. However, when we're talking about taking a human life over a cell phone dispute, it's difficult for me to understand why anyone would support that type of behavior. In my head I often think "damn him" when a person cuts me off on the road, but never in a million years would I shoot a person unless my own life was in danger. They were fighting over a cell phone and popcorn, for pity's sake, and a man was shot to death in front of his wife.

Regarding a home invasion, that's an entirely different situation. If someone actually enters your home by breaking in while you're home, that's self defense. Still, if I could retreat safely and get help, I'd probably try to do that first before killing someone. It really depends on the situation. I've been a victim of a violent crime and often wonder what I would have done with a gun, although using a gun would have been almost impossible. Most of the time, the victim is caught off guard.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Although I don't agree with you, we have something in common, that is, I also don't like crowds of people and keep to myself much of the time. However, when we're talking about taking a human life over a cell phone, it's difficult for me to understand why anyone would support that type of behavior. In my head I often think "damn him" when a person cuts me off on the road, but never in a million years would I shoot a person unless my own life was in danger. They were fighting over a cell phone and popcorn, for pity's sake and a man was shot to death in front of his wife.

Regarding a home invasion, that's an entirely different situation. If someone actually enters your home by breaking in while you're home, that's self defense. Still, if I could retreat safely and get help, I'd probably try to do that first before killing someone. It really depends on the situation. I've been a victim of a violent crime and often wonder what I would have done, although using a gun would have been almost impossible. Most of the time, the victim is caught off guard.
The cell phone was just the start. If the guy had come at me then i would have shot if i felt i had no other choice. I am very fit and could fight with no probs. Again , i don't keep a gun on myself. I just stay away from people where there is crowds or drinking.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

Had Oulsen stopped his texting when requested or took his texting out to the lobby Reeves wouldnt have had to report him to management. Once Oulsen got up, faced Reeves and began a verbal assault which escalated to physical assault (and commission of felony crimes) he would be alive today.
So you would rather take a man's life than change your seat?

Old 01-03-2016, 06:11 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Although I don't agree with you, we have something in common, that is, I also don't like crowds of people and keep to myself much of the time. However, when we're talking about taking a human life over a cell phone dispute, it's difficult for me to understand why anyone would support that type of behavior. In my head I often think "damn him" when a person cuts me off on the road, but never in a million years would I shoot a person unless my own life was in danger. They were fighting over a cell phone and popcorn, for pity's sake and a man was shot to death in front of his wife.

Regarding a home invasion, that's an entirely different situation. If someone actually enters your home by breaking in while you're home, that's self defense. Still, if I could retreat safely and get help, I'd probably try to do that first before killing someone. It really depends on the situation. I've been a victim of a violent crime and often wonder what I would have done, although using a gun would have been almost impossible. Most of the time, the victim is caught off guard.
Agree...to the untrained eye it takes most (non-law enforcement)
people time to realize what is even taking place...and if you have a gun you better be prepared to use it...because in most cases it's going to up the ante...

Old 01-03-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Agree...to the untrained eye it takes most (non-law enforcement)
people time to realize what is even taking place...and if you have a gun you better be prepared to use it...because in most cases it's going to up the ante...
When Jared Loughner shot into a crowd in Arizona, killing 6 people and seriously wounding others, a good Samaritan began wrestling with him and another helpful bystander with a gun ran to the scene and almost shot him by mistake. It's not easy to assess a situation and use good judgment in a fraction of a second.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:30 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
SYG? The man (Reeves) was responding to a verbal and physical attack which was quickly escalating. SYG has nothing to do with the case. The dead guy committed felony assault and battery and was not going to stop his attack.

Reeves never lost his temper as the dead guy did. Reeves simply wanted to enjoy the movie he paid to see. Having had that opportunity taken from him he reported the incident to the theater management and when he got back to his seat the dead guy rose from his seat, turned around to face Reeves and began the verbal and physical attack on Reeves who, when he realized this event was not going to end without further harm to him, decided to use deadly force to avoid further injury.

The defense rests
Wow.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
So you would rather take a man's life than change your seat?
I would rather watch a movie in my own bedroom from the get go. Or polish up my eyepieces.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:33 PM

107 posts, read 89,477 times
The moral of the story? Manners count, and don't bring an attitude to a gun fight. I hope the old cop walks.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:59 PM

107 posts, read 89,477 times
Quote:
When Jared Loughner shot into a crowd in Arizona, killing 6 people and seriously wounding others, a good Samaritan began wrestling with him and another helpful bystander with a gun ran to the scene and almost shot him by mistake. It's not easy to assess a situation and use good judgment in a fraction of a second.
You said almost....I guess the guy made the right call eh? Carrying a gun comes with great responsibility. Nobody that does ever wants to use it. But I bet the families in that California shooting wish they had someone to draw down on those Muslim terrorists. Is it foolproof? No, but it could be the difference between 2 deaths or the 14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay