Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 07:29 AM

11 posts, read 7,280 times

Advertisements

disagree, it used to be the case years ago that if you look for trouble it may find you, but that's a lie and doesn't comport with REALITY and is naive ! YOU DON'T have to Look for Trouble these days ! are you kidding? trouble finds everyone these days- in central cities (have you seen smash and grabs?) and robberies, car-jackings, assaults, breakins, car thefts, domestics etc all over the suburbs here in Florida. Have you seen violent protests with Police? Gangs/dope dealers all around ST. Pete, Tampa and even far out Wimauma? the old saying of just Live your Life is antiquated and naive - nope, live you life with your head on a SWIVEL and carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 10:37 PM

323 posts, read 260,427 times
It seems like this thread has split into 2 camps: conservatives who are terrified of cities because of what they've been told to believe by the Fox news entertainment channel, Newsmax and Tucker Carlson.....and the rest of us, who enjoy and appreciate a lively and active city that's only continuing to get better.

St. Pete is awesome, and I'm glad that there are so many people out there who see and appreciate this fact...

Old 03-10-2023, 02:22 AM

982 posts, read 608,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
It seems like this thread has split into 2 camps: conservatives who are terrified of cities because of what they've been told to believe by the Fox news entertainment channel, Newsmax and Tucker Carlson.....and the rest of us, who enjoy and appreciate a lively and active city that's only continuing to get better.

St. Pete is awesome, and I'm glad that there are so many people out there who see and appreciate this fact...
Well said.

Old 03-10-2023, 08:10 AM

65 posts, read 44,305 times
Nothing like generalizations eh? we're conservatives I guess, we live in Florida and the South of course, injecting politics (local or national or regional) has little to do with St. Petersburg having a weird vibe. Some think it might? some may think it's super groovy? some may think it need not become a mirror image of nyc or CA to be a good city? others choose to look at St. Pete as somewhat dangerous. Everyone need not be obligated to endorse whatever vibe it offers, or even support it. Everyone has an assessment and opinion based on what they see with their own eyes, hear with their own ears, and make personal observations based on their own values, standards, lifestyles, culture and preferences. My highly personal experience having lived their is that it's now attracting crime and weird people strolling around, including sun-seeking homeless. That's my observation at present. There are other towns/cities in Pinellas County that are desirable (and a bit cheaper, less weird vibe). Not our kind of cultural vibe, except some of the bookstores.

Old 03-10-2023, 09:50 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:

Amen

Old 03-10-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eda_Pimentel View Post
Nothing like generalizations eh?
Call it a generalization, call it a politicization...but it's true.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just stating what's very obvious.

Conservative media has skillfully convinced their viewers that cities are bad places full of evil Democratic policies, gangs, crime, and decay...

Having lived all over the US and Europe, I can tell you that St. Petersburg is an excellent city. Does it have problems like many other cities?? Is there room for improvement?? -- Of course.

However, anyone who has traveled and/or lived in different places, and who enjoys a healthy city, without looking through the lens of their political affiliation, will find St. Pete to be a charming city with plenty to do.

If you've already made up your mind that it's a liberal "hell-hole" though, then you're not going to have a good time.

I'd suggest adopting a more open mindset, because it'll only benefit you in the end. You'll have a good time, trust me!

I want everyone to have a good time -- liberal, conservative, gay, straight, black, white....etc..etc..

Cheers!!

Old 03-11-2023, 06:30 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Call it a generalization, call it a politicization...but it's true.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just stating what's very obvious.

Conservative media has skillfully convinced their viewers that cities are bad places full of evil Democratic policies, gangs, crime, and decay...

Having lived all over the US and Europe, I can tell you that St. Petersburg is an excellent city. Does it have problems like many other cities?? Is there room for improvement?? -- Of course.

However, anyone who has traveled and/or lived in different places, and who enjoys a healthy city, without looking through the lens of their political affiliation, will find St. Pete to be a charming city with plenty to do.

If you've already made up your mind that it's a liberal "hell-hole" though, then you're not going to have a good time.

I'd suggest adopting a more open mindset, because it'll only benefit you in the end. You'll have a good time, trust me!

I want everyone to have a good time -- liberal, conservative, gay, straight, black, white....etc..etc..

Cheers!!
FL needs more ppl like you.
#facts

Old 03-11-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
FL needs more ppl like you.
#facts
Thank you brother! You as well!

Old 03-12-2023, 09:29 AM

Florida, in my own opinion, actually needs LESS people moving here for very factual considerations. Yes indeed, let's be factual about everything, especially the emergence of more crime in St. Pete, more not less stress on the financial budget, more degradation and erosion of the infrastructure (e.g. roads, bridges, water supply, beach erosion, spill off/run-off, overbuilding and poor space-open space planning, overuse and demand on Police, increase expenses on fire equipment recently, over-crowding in schools, more school expense in construction, expansion/use of St. Pete's area airport, lack of affordable SF housing, over-building in apartments on land, massive parking problems, devolution in morality/drug use, out of control social services spending, massive influx in legal and illegal MIGRANTS, changes in Florida cultural identities (every state has that too, at least in the South), infiltration of Woke-ism philosophies and approaches (yes, many of us Southerners aren't Californians and don't really wish to be around it at every turn - and no I'm NOT talking about Governmental Politics), and many other factors.

Yes, change can be good, no doubt, but all change is not necessarily positive change. St. Pete is no different. Many of us don't want St. Petersburg to become NYC, Chicago, Seattle or most cities in California. That shouldn't be a surprise! Natives of NYC don't want NYC to become FL or Miami or crazed San Francisco with their out of control policies and homelessness.

Many legal and illegal transplants actually think that Floridians should simply rollover and play dead I guess - just because they alone decided to move here. Others seem to consider themselves a messiah, or part of The Age of Enlightenment. The stench of arrogance is never in order, but many don't have a clear view of themselves, they are blinded by their own bright glow - and they remain thoroughly convinced of their omnipotence. That's the crux of examining the vibe of St. Petersburg (according only to me, a native).

Old 03-12-2023, 09:41 AM

By the way, did everyone get the message from the CEO of Florida Power and Light?

The rates are increasing, and will be in effect in March, this month 2023. The demand on the electrical grid is now off the chart, no pun intended.

Yes, the grid is being overly taxed. The Cellular System is under stress and insufficient. The cable/web system is now under stress.

Did everyone get the message that your Homeowner's Insurance has increased in 2023?

Did everyone get the note from you Automobile Insurance carrier is going to increase your premium here in FL?

Go ask your insurer or your local sheriff deputy, refuse collector, hospital, or your own physician about the vibe in St. Petersburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay