Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: Tampa, traffic, housing, cost of living, downtown.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:35 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,174,896 times

Advertisements

Oh thank goodness! I thought I had killed this thread. I had been the last post for too long! Who knows, I might be the last post again.

Keep telling us your stories Carlos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,175,259 times
I don't see how you could kill a thread vpcats. Honest. You seem too nice of a person to do that.

As for my continuing to tell my story...I certainly will, when appropriate.

I'm shortly going to be cutting back on my posting though. I have to focus all my energy on window cleaning up here (in Canada)...as much as I can...every hour that I can. So that I can earn enough to go to Florida this year. I will also try and sell my business. Add to that a lot of other things I have to attend to before I leave Canada and well...I won't have much time for posting on the forum for a while.

For the most part, I've really enjoyed being on this forum and will continue to post as time permits. I never thought people would show such interest in my chosen lifestyle of living in my truck. I still might develop a web site about that...someday. I'll have to add that to the other 100 things I never have time to do .

Carlos

Old 08-17-2008, 06:15 PM

100 things to do? That's not r e a l l y an excuse is it? Look how many posts I've managed to make (not all nobel prize caliber btw) and I always have at least 101 things on my to-do list. I try to not be selfish and share my list but nobody ever pays any attention so I just keep it close to my heart, right next to C-D, which seems to win every time!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:32 PM

Well...I must confess vpcats...compared with your children, pets, house, and everything else you gots going on + your list, what I have to do is...well...nothing in comparison...time wise. My hat off to ya for keeping everything you got going on and still finding the time to post here. There's no way I could do what you do - even if you paid me.

Must be the ability that members of the opposit sex seem to have...to multi-task or something. Me? I can only do one thing at a time and very slowly at that sometimes. So if I am posting, like now, I can't do anything else until I am done.

Now back to what I was doing...if I can remember what that was .

Carlos

Old 08-17-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Well...I must confess vpcats...compared with your children, pets, house, and everything else you gots going on + your list, what I have to do is...well...nothing in comparison...time wise. My hat off to ya for keeping everything you got going on and still finding the time to post here. There's no way I could do what you do - even if you paid me.

Must be the ability that members of the opposit sex seem to have...to multi-task or something. Me? I can only do one thing at a time and very slowly at that sometimes. So if I am posting, like now, I can't do anything else until I am done.

Now back to what I was doing...if I can remember what that was .

Carlos

Gosh when you itemize it all like that, WOW! I do have a lot of stuff to do.
Almost all not that important though. Very few things in life are a true crisis so you do what you can when you can. You need a time out every so often too to prevent things from seeming like they are crises.

I bet you can chew gum and post! Oui?

Last edited by vpcats; 08-17-2008 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: clearing up my slang :)

Old 08-17-2008, 07:16 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,970,725 times
Good luck! hope you make it down safely!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I bet you can chew gum and post! Oui?
Non? Not sure vpcats . Never tried that before. Honestly, I am so one track minded at something I do that I think I would stop chewing in the middle of a passionate sentence, chew a bit more, than stop in mid-chew to write some more.

I guess I could think and chew. Don't know about writing and chewing - that might be too much for me

Thanks Alphaman!

Carlos

Old 08-17-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Non? Not sure vpcats . Never tried that before. Honestly, I am so one track minded at something I do that I think I would stop chewing in the middle of a passionate sentence, chew a bit more, than stop in mid-chew to write some more.

I guess I could think and chew. Don't know about writing and chewing - that might be too much for me

Thanks Alphaman!

Carlos
What time is it in Canada? Are you still at a library?

Come to think of it, I'd probably stop chewing too if I was very focused on something I was thinking or looking at. Now see! You threw a curve ball there on my theory!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:29 PM

76 posts, read 406,313 times
Hi Carlos,

I grew up in Georgia and moved to Tampa in 1978, I recently moved back to Georgia in 2006, but now I find myself wishing I had stayed in Tampa. The job market is better there.

I agree that Miami is not such a great choice, but mainly because it's over-populated. Jacksonville is nice and Orlando too. You will find the humidity is just as intense in Tampa as it is in other parts of Florida. That's just how Florida is between June and October. You could not ask for better weather between November to May. In February while everyone is shoveling snow up north, you will be sitting on the beach!

There are many great communities in the Tampa Bay Area besides Tampa. St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo, New Port Richey, Dade City, Lakeland, Bradenton, Sarasota, to name a few.

I most likely will be moving back to Tampa by October. The job I left is still available and they are ready to welcome me back.

Good luck with your move. Perhaps I'll see you at the beach.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
What time is it in Canada? Are you still at a library?
It's presently 11:00 PM exactly.

I've gotten into using McDonald's restaurants quite a bit lately. I buy a tea or something for under $2 and stay there for hours and hours. The one I am at now has a plug next to a corner of the restaurant where I can be without hardly being noticed. I've been here since about 3:00 PM!! When I get on the Internet and my computer...well...time just flies by. I still didn't get done all that I wanted to do.

I've been working on my business web site to make sure the URL's I put on my business card are reachable and contain juicy content that will motivate visitors to call me to schedule a window cleaning. Working with PHP and Apache and mod_rewrite and other such goodies . I"ve developed my own content management system where I pretty much create a plain text page and then run it through my system which converts it to html on the fly and serves up a web page to a visitor complete with nice formatting and styles.

Incidentally the very hardest thing about my lifestyle is finding a decent desk and table to work at. A problem that will be solved mind you by having a UPS style cargo truck but for now...I am stuck having to find libraries (it's Sunday and late so they are not open) and the like to be able to spread my stuff out and work. Hard seats though. I miss my old high quality office chair (in storage).

Anyway I got's to go....the restaurant is closing for the night. A good night to ya all!

Carlos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay