Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

the people are moving here because Tampa is cheaper than Miami and warmer than the north. But for those who hate the fact people keep moving here by the droves,, you will NOT stop that,,, ever- so might as well accept changes have to be made. Miami has many bad things but also very good ones. For me I like the cultural flavors and community. When a hurricane comes, you see the greatest things. On my street you saw all these electrical cords running all over the place and across the streets,,, why? people sharing irgenerators with neighbors, One guy using his huge BBQ grill and every body bringing ther meat to cook before it all goes bad. My son with other men went around cutting branches etc off peoples houses or driveways,,, no when we BBQ we invite the neighbors, you will hardly ever see that here. the people are coming- I hope its the good kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 AM

552 posts, read 720,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the people are moving here because Tampa is cheaper than Miami and warmer than the north. But for those who hate the fact people keep moving here by the droves,, you will NOT stop that,,, ever- so might as well accept changes have to be made. Miami has many bad things but also very good ones. For me I like the cultural flavors and community. When a hurricane comes, you see the greatest things. On my street you saw all these electrical cords running all over the place and across the streets,,, why? people sharing irgenerators with neighbors, One guy using his huge BBQ grill and every body bringing ther meat to cook before it all goes bad. My son with other men went around cutting branches etc off peoples houses or driveways,,, no when we BBQ we invite the neighbors, you will hardly ever see that here. the people are coming- I hope its the good kind.
My crusade to stop the droves of people moving here is just as pointless as the one wanting Tampa to turn into some Florida version of a northern city with great public trans. and a happening downtown. Its just not gonna happen.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:17 AM

443 posts, read 558,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
My crusade to stop the droves of people moving here is just as pointless as the one wanting Tampa to turn into some Florida version of a northern city with great public trans. and a happening downtown. Its just not gonna happen.
Sure it will. Eventually it will happen out of pure necessity.

You can't just ignore the problem despite population growth. When the tipping point is reached, you'll beg for a solution. Hint - "status quo" isn't it.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
It will happen, already investors are in the city and the mayor is on board, the populous is changing, like it or not,,, and you will be a minority with the thinking of " no growth" because people want to make money, and that will force those buttons to be pushed. Right now, I see huge cranes outside my office bld making new high rise apts and the land next to us been cleared for even more. I am in the new Westshore financial district and people will fill the apts and they will make more changes. The Veterans and 275 are widening... they are coming...

Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It will happen, already investors are in the city and the mayor is on board, the populous is changing, like it or not,,, and you will be a minority with the thinking of " no growth" because people want to make money, and that will force those buttons to be pushed. Right now, I see huge cranes outside my office bld making new high rise apts and the land next to us been cleared for even more. I am in the new Westshore financial district and people will fill the apts and they will make more changes. The Veterans and 275 are widening... they are coming...
I was down that way last night taking my wife to dinner and noticed cranes and scaffolding around a huge building across from Int'l Plaza on Spruce. I know they hadn't even broken ground on it a few months ago because I was visiting a friend who was in town and staying in a hotel down there. What is that? Office space?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 PM

440 posts, read 595,702 times
If you build it, WE will come!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
i refuse to believe that in order to have a thriving Hyde Park Village (or similar area) Tampa has to turn into Miami

Old 05-16-2013, 01:11 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjosephunf View Post
Actually, I think Tampa has a-lot to learn from Miami! I'm a Millenial Tampa native who's relocated to Jacksonville i.e. South Georgia. I think Tampa/Tampa Bay has so much potential however, nobody cares about density, and mass transit. My friends and I visit Atlanta and Miami all the time and those are REAL cities. It seems Tampa/Tampa Bay is still trying to figure out what it wants to be....I think things are changing however it needs to happen soon and quick! It would be nice to move back to an active, sustainable, cosmopolitan city .
I'm a 22 year old Millennial and all I can say to this stupid post is .

As the saying goes, the minority screams louder than the majority.

Y'all need to leave Tampa alone.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Y'all need to leave Tampa alone.
It's broken. Broken things don't work.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:59 PM

170 posts, read 233,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
This the thing I dislike about your generation and even mine (gen x), you want to move back once the problem is fixed, you don't want to be part of the solution. I have friends that all they do is complain about the same thing, they hate their drive to Brandon, Wesley Chapel, then move, its going to take people moving to downtown, seminole heights, etc to create the density that will make Tampa improve their mass transit infrastructure. Its got to be the younger generation to make that first move instead of piling 5 deep in an apartment in Hyde Park or Soho. I don't mean specifically you, I don't know your circumstances, I am talking about an attitude in general.
Dunndfrnt: I understand completely where you are coming from. The same mentality is in Jacksonville. I just think individuals are afraid to step-up and take initiative due to age/experience. I grew-up in Seminole Heights, and attended local catholic schools here. I have the desire to see Tampa grow and prosper in a sustainable way...... I threw a couple of generalizations however, within my field "Fashion & Design" it is difficult finding firms that are contemporary/edgy in Tampa Bay (HSN is evolving becoming more ala Nordstroms) and Misred Outfitters is an excellent concept in St. Pete however, there needs to be more growth/support within CREATIVE INDUSTRIES! Hence why I hope to start my career in Philly, NYC, LA, Austin as a Fashion Buyer. Ultimately, I would love to relocate to my hometown and start a grassroots movement to bring excitement to the city. My biggest fear if I relocate to Tampa is #1 "Why did I come back?" and #2 "Professional mobility."

Each city has it's own issues..... Tampa/Tampa Bay is a maturing market I foresee a-lot of growth/potential within the city center. However we must stop "backward" thinking like this.....

Henderson: Jan Platt rains on Buckhorn's parade | Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune | TBO.com

All over a stupid bridge connecting the Library and Straz............
NO to increased tax base in Downtown Tampa
NO to vitality + density

All because of "I'm afraid to cross a converted 2-way street" or "What if I get stuck in the rain?" Ha bring a darn umbrella!

It's thinking like that pushing my generation to Austin, Portland, Nashville, Charlotte, Houston, San Diego, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay