Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling if the high speed train and an efficient mass transit system is built in Orlando and Tampa you will find Lakeland grow by leaps and bounds. Speculators, BUY BUY BU in LAKELAND! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 11:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,335,112 times
University of Florida News – Florida real estate market has hit bottom, survey respondents report

“Results of our first quarter survey indicate that the real estate market in Florida has hit bottom and is in the process of stabilizing across most property types,” said Timothy Becker, director of UF’s Bergstrom Center for Real Estate Studies.

One of the strongest areas of the state is South Florida, ...

Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville also are picking up, Becker said. “Florida’s big cities — those four areas — are less bad off than the rest of the state and they’re going to be quicker to recover than other places,” he said"

Old 04-30-2010, 06:43 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
I have a feeling if the high speed train and an efficient mass transit system is built in Orlando and Tampa you will find Lakeland grow by leaps and bounds. Speculators, BUY BUY BU in LAKELAND! lol
I don't know if you were joking (hence the lol) but this is actually true. Lakeland (and Polk county in general) already have a pretty strong economy since it is not based on tourism. There is more distribution warehouse space leased there than anyplace else except LA. There are numerous large companies based there, and you may have seen my Youtube posting of the spectacular new USF Polytechnic campus which is being built off I-4, smack in the middle of the high-tech corridor. Winter Haven was already slated to begin the CSX expansion, which was expected to bring thousands of jobs. Winter Haven is also getting Lego Land. Polk County is poised to BOOM.

Tampa-Lakeland-Orlando will be a megalopolis in the future.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't know if you were joking (hence the lol) but this is actually true. Lakeland (and Polk county in general) already have a pretty strong economy since it is not based on tourism. There is more distribution warehouse space leased there than anyplace else except LA. There are numerous large companies based there, and you may have seen my Youtube posting of the spectacular new USF Polytechnic campus which is being built off I-4, smack in the middle of the high-tech corridor. Winter Haven was already slated to begin the CSX expansion, which was expected to bring thousands of jobs. Winter Haven is also getting Lego Land. Polk County is poised to BOOM.

Maybe I'll have to buy some investment property in Lakeland. Does seem like the perfect storm for a Megapolis to take root.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,335,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Maybe I'll have to buy some investment property in Lakeland. Does seem like the perfect storm for a Megapolis to take root.
per Purchasing home while values down, where to get good deal today with appreciation in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
agreed unlikely to see what we saw within at least the next 20 years, with the caveat that another population spurt here could make land dear again. along the i-4 corridor, tampa/orlando/daytona is scheduled to become the next megapolitan, following the progress made over the years to the area extending from miami to west palm beach along i-95...
& per Do you think Central Florida will have longevity to remain it's own, or will it mimic certain S. Florida traits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
West Palm to Miami developed into a megapolitan area in part by geographical conditions not shared here, excessive spawl being constrained naturally by the ocean and the Everglades.

On the other hand it did not enjoy its Tri-Rail connecting the counties until late in the game so maybe high-speed could facilitate here what geography did there, to help focus development along the I-4 corridor.

Tampa might be just as good an investment now as Lakeland, if not better, because while you might buy cheaper in Lakeland now, you'd probably get more use or income out of Tampa before Lakeland develops. Also, when the fed government later claws back its stimulus money and the local govt their borrowed money out of private pockets, what might happen to cap gains (& property taxes on even homesteaded property) on that Lakeland property could make the benefits of investing in income producing Tampa property today even moreso the bargain.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,321,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Gypsychic, I think you hit the nail on the head for the Tampa-Orlando corridor. Wow, high speed rail would really do a lot for the economy, just wish it could be done already. Lakeland and Winter Haven areas will really prosper from it as well. Only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay