Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Do you think she should get fired for her blog posts?
Teachers are usually held to a higher standard than most ordinary folks.

I'm reminded of my senior year in school when my social studies teacher announced on the first day of class that he wanted to know who was "here to learn" and who was not, because he was not going to waste his time teaching students who did not want to learn.

We all thought it was cool.

Anyway, the teacher should have used an pseudonym or anonymous blog, she was stupid to use her real name or to use an identity that could be figured out.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Yes she should be fired. It's one thing to tell another person privately that your students are lazy whiners. Many high school teachers have said this to each other.

However, it is quite a different thing to create a public record stating the same.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
I think the school was right to fire her- not because of what she said, but because I think to keep teaching at that school would have been impossible. What teachers think of kids should be a deep, dark secret....lol.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Read the Blog for yourself and see what you think

Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?: If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say...

Note she was blogging while she was at work, then went home and finished. Note the comments by students as well. They certainly don't think highly of her at all.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:12 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Do you think she should get fired for her blog posts?
Actually I would think its more about her bad attitude and being overwhelmed with her job that got her in trouble. What complete and utter lack of judgment brought this person to post such a thing where others could read it??

Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
What would they do if a CEO or Government official called employees whiners? Or the Michigan Assistant attorney general that attacked the U of M student running for student body president when the AAG attacked the student on his blog for being gay, anti-god and other assorted slanderous comments?

Additional thought-- NEVER BLOG in your own name if you are posting general comments...I have four blogs / FB, NONE of which are in my name.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Read the blog post, feel the same as I did before. I don't care. If there is a rule against internet usage at work, yes, she should get reprimanded for that. She certainly should *not* be fired for blogging about nameless students.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Putting aside the issue of the offensiveness of the posts, but talking about keeping the personal separate from the public, all those people arguing either side (that private affairs should or should not be used to judge people), I ask where do you draw the line between what expressions of speech in private can or cannot be used to discredit?
From the point of view of my employer's policy, the line is pretty hard and clear. You're not allowed to post anything on social media about our clients, or about work. If you feel that compromises your freedom, you're of course free to post, but the employer is also free to terminate your employment for policy violation. At-will employment, baby.

Quote:
How about blogging pseudonymously, and a student and a student reading it figuring out from the description of that it was her class?

How about if the teacher went to a forum like this and posted it, and a student happened to be a member on the forum?
In the context of my workplace's policy, if nothing else on the forum allowed any background knowledge into the poster's identity, where they work specifically, or the people about whom they are posting's identities, how would anybody ever know? But you have to consider whether it's truly anonymous. If you have other posts connected to your screenname that would allow people to reasonably connect the dots, then it's not so anonymous and is a violation of confidentiality. [/quote]

Quote:
How about if the teacher angrily wrote about it in her diary, dropped her diary on the bus one weekend by chance, and one of her students picked it up?
When I was a paralegal, we were strongly urged NEVER to remove briefs or intakes from the office (to, say, work on them at home), and if we had to, we were advised NEVER to let them out of our sight (i.e. leaving a briefcase on a car seat), due to the potential breach of confidentiality if somebody in your household saw them, somebody broke into your car, etc.

Quote:
How about if the teacher was overheard by the student gossiping to her friend about it at the mall?
Per my employer, if there is a record of it, your job is on the line. We are not to even name (first) names of clients, esp. when out socially with coworkers, specifically due to the overhearing factor, and the fact that it's simply not professional and looks bad. And, actually, even if you don't use names, you can be in violation, depending upon the context, if it's still possible to deduce who you're talking about. Confidentiality in regard to minor clients is a HUMONGOUS issue.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and haven't people figured out how to make Facebook settings private and viewable only to friends by now?
You'd think, but even that's not failsafe. Say I'm a teacher in a small town (such as where I grew up). I make comments about my work/thinly veiled or not so veiled comments about kids in my class out of frustration, but I'm meticulous about my privacy settings. Only I don't realize that my hairstylist, who is "friended," is married to a guy who's sister is the stepmom of a kid in my class, and it gets back/somebody shows the mom/kid, etc., and then my butt is on the line. If you put it out there, somebody can see it. And if somebody can see it, it can ALWAYS get shown to people you don't know have access. My boyfriend doesn't do FB, deleted his profile, the whole thing. But I'll read him stuff that I have access to, from time to time. Privacy settings do nothing, in this regard.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Calling the students "lazy whiners" is lazy and whining in itself. lol.
Seriously, it is a little "pot-kettle"-ish. Personal blogging is typically nothing BUT self-indulgent whining.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Sounds like teacher burnout issues, and I'm surprised there aren't more of them in the news. BUT, I seem to remember a case recently where a student referred to a teacher as a fat d* bag and that was decided in the favor of the student as protected free speech.

It seems to me that we can't have either/or, but must have both. What do we teach our students if they can say whatever they want, and get away with it, but the teacher gets penalized for the same offense?
Thanks for the information, I did not know about that case. But I think the teacher would be judged more strictly than the student because she is in a position of more "authority" and she is an adult.

Free speech is not very "free" at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching