Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times

Advertisements

Apparently, she does not subscribe to the notion that when one finds oneself in a hole, the first step is to stop digging.

Suspended CB East teacher is at it again (http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/the_intelligencer/the_intelligencer_news_details/article/27/2011/february/14/suspended-cb-east-teacher-is-at-it-again.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,001,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Do you think she should get fired for her blog posts?
Momma once told me, "Don't put anything in writing that you don't want the whole world to read."

This incident is a big ole DUH as far as I'm concerned. There was a department chair that was fired about a year ago for disparging remarks about students' parents or something like that.

People have to tack or common sense these days. Sheesh.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,361,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Apparently, she does not subscribe to the notion that when one finds oneself in a hole, the first step is to stop digging.

Suspended CB East teacher is at it again (http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/the_intelligencer/the_intelligencer_news_details/article/27/2011/february/14/suspended-cb-east-teacher-is-at-it-again.html - broken link)
I thought it was a pretty good post. I am pulling for her.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times
Default Is a High School English Teacher Wrong for Ranting on her Students?

In, FEASTERVILLE, Pa., a high school English teacher in suburban Philadelphia was suspended for a profanity-laced blog in which she called her young charges "disengaged, lazy whiners" is driving a sensation by daring to ask Why are today's students unmotivated. What's wrong with calling them out?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
In, FEASTERVILLE, Pa., a high school English teacher in suburban Philadelphia was suspended for a profanity-laced blog in which she called her young charges "disengaged, lazy whiners" is driving a sensation by daring to ask Why are today's students unmotivated. What's wrong with calling them out?
You can call out a student without name-calling and berating them. I do it everyday. "Johnny, Do you think that is a wise decision?" "Sarah, Are you using your time effectively?" When I really want to say, "Jimmy, Your parents may want to consider sterilization."

Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times
I totally agree with the teacher. Kids today are too damn spoiled but i partly blame their parents. Disipline starts in the home.
Teacher strikes nerve with 'lazy whiners' blog - MSNBC Articles

Old 02-16-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I totally agree with the teacher. Kids today are too damn spoiled but i partly blame their parents. Disipline starts in the home.
Teacher strikes nerve with 'lazy whiners' blog - MSNBC Articles
I completely agree, but you have to remember they are still kids.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,306 times
Now she's getting more attention (and support). I wonder if that's a good thing for her.

Pa. teacher strikes nerve with 'lazy whiners' blog - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110216/ap_on_hi_te/us_teacher_suspended_blog - broken link)

Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Next time your own chubby little kid is whining about a new XBox or PS3 game that he wants, I wonder if you even consider the possibility that with each generation the kids are becoming lazier and bigger whiners or not.

The teacher should have picked a more settled approach but she was either too burned out to give a sensible F about it or she wanted to make a big impact by letting it become public. Either way, it seems her "effectiveness" as a teacher has become questionable so perhaps she needs some time off to think about her career choice or at least her blogging skills.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,483,283 times
There has been a steady decline in the quality of students due to the government printing itself a license to get into the business of parenting.

If an experienced teacher is not cognizant of this, they are out of touch with reality.

Government ruins almost everything it touches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching