Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:41 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times

Advertisements

She was in a very wealthy suburban district, not the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
I call them LAZY WHINERS when they tell me their brain hurts from thinking so much...

Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I call them LAZY WHINERS when they tell me their brain hurts from thinking so much...

But that's not your job. You can't let your personal opinions of your students get in the way of your job

Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
But that's not your job. You can't let your personal opinions of your students get in the way of your job
Students, employees - some people respond to carrots and some to the stick.

Most people have been called worse than whiner in their lifetimes. It should not be such a shock. Some students are really lazy. Schools were sometimes brutal not so very long ago. Now, everyone is tip toeing around the kids. They're tough enough to take a little jab every now and again. Believe me, they do worse to each other.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,639 times
What if - and bear with me on this, will you - the students happen to be... lazy whiners?

If they are wonderful workers, can I call them that? Sure can, because telling them the truth is never a bad thing now is it?

Soooo, what if they... oh, well. Never mind. The point is lost on those who can't see the irony.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if students were the customers (parents the payers) and someone made a blog post calling their customers lazy whiners then i probably wouldnt want my child being in the teacher's class. if the school was operating like a business, she would be costing the business money.

so yes, id fire her.

yes but every business ive ever been in where the customer acts a fool is shown the door and never allowed back in. public schools don't always have that option.

your comparison is poor at best.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
So I ought not tell them I think they are great, intelligent, capable and wonderful?

What might I say to them that isn't a personal opinion?

It is however my JOB to evaluate their performance which ultimately becomes opinion.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Ranting on the internet always comes back to bite you because it's taken at face value and most never understand what's really behind your statements.

With that said, the teacher probably posted the truth.

I see it all the time from certain students, usually the ones that chit chat in class and don't stay focused on their work.
And when they do start the whining about how hard it is or "If I'm good for the rest of the class..." or how they don't understand it I have my arsenal of questions for them:

Why don't you understand it ? Would it be because you weren't paying attention in class ?
Do you want special treatment from me ? Other students did their work without talking and completed it. You didn't. Why do you think you deserve special treatment ?

I try to put the onus back on them. I get rolled eyes and shrugs; few actually answer my questions.
And none of them feel it's their fault either.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So I ought not tell them I think they are great, intelligent, capable and wonderful?

What might I say to them that isn't a personal opinion?

It is however my JOB to evaluate their performance which ultimately becomes opinion.
Actually no, you should not tell them that either.

Praise should be specific rather than general and it should be based on their work, not their personal traits. It can actually discourage children to be told they are wonderful and intelligent because they may not see it that way.

Why You Shouldn’t Tell Your Kids They’re ‘Smart’ - ABC News

Also read How to Talk so Kids can Learn by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish to see more about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching