Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
School officials in a district near Philadelphia say a high school English teacher posted profanity-laced rants online that labeled her students "out of control" and "disengaged, lazy whiners."

District: Pa. teacher called students lazy whiners - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110210/ap_on_re_us/us_teacher_suspended_blog - broken link)
Do you think she should get fired for her blog posts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 02:08 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,361,138 times
No. It is probably true.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM

19 posts, read 37,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post

Hell no!! I feel so sorry for teachers. What a tough profession it must be.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,437 times
Lightbulb Cindy, You Make A Good Point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
I read the Yahoo link you posted, and, I for one think teachers should get combat pay...and again, this raises the question about the Internet and any (alleged) expectations of privacy...

Maybe she had reached the end of her rope, and felt her blog was the only place she could say how she REALLY felt about her students, co-workers, and administrators...

I say, then, if she is upset, and feels she can no longer perform her job at the level she feels she's capable of, then she SHOULD be able to express herself---but then, you may open yourself up to criticism and anger from some parents who are quick to cry out 'gasp! not MY little Johnny or Jackie!'

No, she SHOULDN'T be fired...she has as much right to express herself, as those parents do...I would hope that her sounding off will light a fire under the school board administrators, and prompt them to investigate if there is any merit to her posts...

Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
if students were the customers (parents the payers) and someone made a blog post calling their customers lazy whiners then i probably wouldnt want my child being in the teacher's class. if the school was operating like a business, she would be costing the business money.

so yes, id fire her.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,018,557 times
No, first of all, although I don't know what she wrote, it sounds like something any teacher that had to deal with troublesome students would feel, and express. (It's the same with say, dealing with any stressful job and letting off steam about annoying co-workers, unless she went and said something extreme, such as a threat)

Ask yourself this. Imagine that instead of finding out about her opinions online, she had been overheard (by the same parents) in the park or at a mall gossiping to her friends using those exact same words. Could she get suspended? What if the parents tape-recorded the conversation to prove it was her? You think she'd deserve it?

If you would disagree, I don't see how it'd be any different.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:53 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,746,787 times
Fired? Probably not.
Disciplined or reprimanded? Certainly.

Teaching is a profession that absolutely requires you to establish respectful relationships with students, parents, and administrators. If you go out and alienate the population that you are supposed to be working with your effectiveness is going to drop off dramatically.

Essentially this teacher has destroyed her own credibility. It is now going to be much more difficult for her to manage and discipline students. It's going to be much more difficult for her to contact parents with concerns about the progress of her students. And it's going to be much more difficult for her to rebuild a working relationship with her administration after her profanity-laced diatribe against her students and administration.

Free speech is not the issue. The issue is that she was unprofessional and has damaged her ability to to her job. That is at least worthy of a serious reprimand of some sort. But we all do make mistakes. Sounds like could easily have been a case of "blogging under the influence" which is ALWAYS a bad idea. Don't go spouting off in public if you've had a few too many glasses of wine or beer. I'm not sure a one-time mistake like this should necessarily mean your career is destroyed. In most other professions you're not likely to get fired for something like this done on your own time. But you are likely to get spanked and could hurt your career.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,077 times
^^Interesting point. So do you think if she had made an anonymous blog and wrote the exact same material, would that be different?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
I don't care what a teacher says or does on his own personal time (legally of course) as long as my child is learning and doing well in school. No, she should not have been fired.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:25 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,276,441 times
Hrmmm...

I think if you're going to write public things, especially about students, you need to be careful.

On the other hand these sorts of discussions go on all of the time behind closed doors. And in some schools what she said is told directly to the students.

There should be separation between your personal life and your employment, but it doesn't always work out that way.

These days if you talk about your employer on Facebook in a negative light they might reprimand or fire you. Conversely other employers might google you and find that you're not a "team player." Is it fair? Not really, but I'd err on the side of caution and leave these sorts of things personal and between you and your colleagues.

Discretion and tact are very important don't let the fact of fairness (or unfairness) in this case get in the way of conducting yourself professionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching