Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:10 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times

Advertisements

My daughter has never enjoyed math until she took a summer algebra class at a local college. We couldn't tear her away from the material, and I think she learned more in those two weeks than she did the entire previous year in school. I asked her about the difference, and she said, "It's more fun to learn when everybody in the room wants to be there."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
how do private schools attract better teachers and get better results?
The environment is generally better, and safer. Teachers can focus on teaching instead of dealing with dangerous students, violent behavior, disruptive antics, etc. Also, parental involvement tends to be higher, and this makes a big difference in the students' attitude towards learning.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
My daughter has never enjoyed math until she took a summer algebra class at a local college. We couldn't tear her away from the material, and I think she learned more in those two weeks than she did the entire previous year in school. I asked her about the difference, and she said, "It's more fun to learn when everybody in the room wants to be there."
Smart girl...

We are on day 2 of school for this year. Our daughter chose not to take an AP history offering this year as she doesn't like history. After one day of a 15 minute class (shortened schedule for the first day) she is regretting that choice because of the kids in the class. There are 3 other kids that are honors/AP students in her class that went the same route and they all said the same thing. Fortunately for them they have each other to work on group projects, etc.

The teacher they have is fantastic so that won't be an issue.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
It is amazing the amount of material we were able to teach during the summer program I worked with. Kids who want to learn makes a huge difference.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
The environment is generally better, and safer. Teachers can focus on teaching instead of dealing with dangerous students, violent behavior, disruptive antics, etc. Also, parental involvement tends to be higher, and this makes a big difference in the students' attitude towards learning.
I also think if you compare top private schools to top public schools you don't see any difference in test scores, etc. because of these factors. I know that most of the public schools around here have equal or better test scores then the private schools because the families put a strong emphasis on getting a good education and behaving in school.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:21 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I also think if you compare top private schools to top public schools you don't see any difference in test scores, etc. because of these factors. I know that most of the public schools around here have equal or better test scores then the private schools because the families put a strong emphasis on getting a good education and behaving in school.
Yes, that is very true. The public schools with great reputations would share the same characteristics as good private schools. When you have dedicated parents moving to a district for the schools, it doesn't matter if the school is public or private - it would still be a good learning environment either way.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
This was (one of the reasons) why I loved college. It was the first time in my life where I was in a classroom of people (outside of extracurricular G/T programs I'd been involved in as a kid) who largely-to-exclusively were excited to be there and excited about the material. Obviously, this isn't necessarily the case at all colleges, but it was at mine.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Again, "private school" does not equal "school that selects only the highest performing students," private schools exist to serve a variety of populations. All "private" means is that the school is not regulated by government restrictions (although such schools may and often do follow many or all of the same governmental standards as public education, although since they are privately funded, they are not bound to do so). "Private" doesn't mean better. It doesn't mean "closed to students who struggle." It doesn't mean "college prep." All it means is "not governmentally funded." Other than that, there are any number of variables at work.

My school is EXCLUSIVELY students with IEPs, not students who are rejected/suspended due to lower achievement or the presence of IEPs. On the contrary, they are students whose needs have been declined to have been served by public districts who are unequipped to handle with their particular issues and therefore must provide alternate placement.
This is true, however the other part of that truth is that MANY private schools do choose to pick and choose which kids they want and which they don't want. Yes, there are some excellent private schools that focus on kids with certain disabilities. But there are also many out there that won't accept any child who would require too many resources, whether it be because they are academically slow, a behavior problem, or in special ed.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So...basically, what y'all are saying is that it's not the money spent on teachers that gets you great results. It's the attitudes of the students and parents?

Good. Now that we agree, we can stop throwing money at public schools in attempts to solve a cultural problem.
Let me get this straight. You come to a conclusion, and you say that "everyone" is agreeing with you? I don't think so!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Again, "private school" does not equal "school that selects only the highest performing students," private schools exist to serve a variety of populations. All "private" means is that the school is not regulated by government restrictions (although such schools may and often do follow many or all of the same governmental standards as public education, although since they are privately funded, they are not bound to do so). "Private" doesn't mean better. It doesn't mean "closed to students who struggle." It doesn't mean "college prep." All it means is "not governmentally funded." Other than that, there are any number of variables at work.

My school is EXCLUSIVELY students with IEPs, not students who are rejected/suspended due to lower achievement or the presence of IEPs. On the contrary, they are students whose needs have been declined to have been served by public districts who are unequipped to handle with their particular issues and therefore must provide alternate placement.
But isn't it better to be able to focus on kids with IEP's instead of trying to handle kids accross the entire range? I think you can do better picking an area to focus on than you can trying to be everything to everyone. I think just the ability cater to one segement of the population, and I don't care which one it is, would allow you to be a better school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching