Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I recently read a blurb in the local rag where some 46 year old guy was arrested for abusing his 12-year-old..... grandson. I was like, "um, wow..."
And HE should be shot..... Unfortunately, you can't selectively breed this kind of behavior out like you might be able to do with teen parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Most social problems are generational and propegated by family and community...good luck fighting them with only a school system as a weapon.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Yes, public school does usually have more to offer than private school for a teacher, a pension, usually, cheaper health care. But teaching in private school has benefits, smaller classes, more freedom to teach how you want, reduced or free tuition for your own children, more homogenous student population. One thing about private school, is that you are often wearing many hats...and more involvement is expected, on weekends. It depends on the school, but if the parents are very affluent, it is very political, so you just have to let some things slide. I taught at private schools in my career, SPED services are still provided to students in private schools, the district does not have to provide it, but usually does, I provided the same services to private school students in our district that kids in the regular school recieved with the same disability.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 AM

913 posts, read 872,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Now if only you could find an army of teachers willing to work for third-world pay, we'd be set.

it's all relative!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
how do private schools attract better teachers and get better results?
They don't. They pick who they want to attend their schools, so the schools tend to be front loaded with high achievers.

Teachers who can't get jobs in public schools for whatever reason resort to private schools until there is an opening in public ed since the pay in private schools is absolutely terrible.

It has nothing to do with how "good" private schools are.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
Simple. Private schools put high expectations for their teachers and since they are not unionized the teachers know if they don't get results then they are hitting the unemployment line. That is not the case for public schools. Public school teachers are pretty much guaranteed a job for life assuming you don't rape a student or something. Teaching ability is a non-factor for public schools. Plus its not like the students have a choice to go to another school if the teachers at that school sucks, so why bother trying to meet the high expectations.

With private school if the teacher/school sucks then the parents can take their student & their money somewhere else. That's a pretty big incentive to do a good job.
^ Dead give away you know very little about public education. You're the wealthy parent with a pro-business mentality. Nothing wrong with those qualities. You just have very little in the way of a clue about what actually happens in public schools.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So...basically, what y'all are saying is that it's not the money spent on teachers that gets you great results. It's the attitudes of the students and parents?

Good. Now that we agree, we can stop throwing money at public schools in attempts to solve a cultural problem.
I don't entirely disagree. But, how do we solve the extraneous societal problems? What can not happen- yet happens to millions of kids annually- is the kid born into a near-hopeless situation. Imagine a 5 year-old child living in a household with one crackhead parent who's always asleep at the wheel. The crackhead parent never reads to their child (ren) and is functionally illiterate his/herself. There's poverty and violence all over the neighborhood. Nobody the kid encounters daily likes police, teachers or any other agency of authority. Moral indiscretion is observable several times a day every day. How does that child have anywhere near the chance at success in school as a child born into a home with two parents who read to them nightly and have high expectations for school performance? And, is it the 5 year-old's responsibility that they were born into such condidtions? Should they, at the age of 5, be expected to "man-up" and make it happen? If not, by what age should they do so? 18? How much damage is done to the child's path to success from birth to the age of 18? This is how/why we have a vicious cycle of crime and poverty in this society. People making policy-be it actual politicians or the wealthy interest groups who fund them- overwhelmingly come from backgrounds dramatically better and different than that of the 5 year-old I describe above. Most of them have absolutely no concept of the kinds of conditions that exist in classrooms at poor performing schools. To these people, if a kid misbehaves, any good teacher puts an end to it immediately. Any misbehavior occurring must be occurring because of teacher/school incompetence. To those who know, it's a disgusting level of ignorance.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
In my area, salaries in private schools are typically lower, but most private schools also allow the teachers own children to attend the school free or at a greatly reduced cost. And despite the lower pay, the private schools have so many applicants that they tend to get the cream of the crop.

I don't think you can generalize county wide on this one...... it's very individual to the city you are in.
I think it's a pretty safe assumption that, any parent paying thousands of dollars in tuition so as to allow their kid to bypass an education already offered to them for free, is going to be much more invested in seeing to it their kid works hard and follows the rules enough to have success. And I also think it's a safe assumption that a child with highly invested parents is much more likely to be highly invested themselves than a kid whose family doesn't even believe in the school system in the first place. So, yeah, there are some things that apply across the board

Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We can also stop laying the blame exclusively at the foot of schools/educators when discussing a multi-cause cultural problem.
It's a very, very complex problem. And that's hard for people who were educated in private or suburban public schools to see...

Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
By middle school, many of our boys are already in gangs and the girls are already pregnant, albeit not by boys, but by predatory men.

I always want to ask people, At what point is a child supposed to realize that the parents way of life is a dead end and make the decision to reject their parents and their peer group? Age 8? 10? 12? 14? When?
I think many can realize this on a certain level by about 12. But, then what are they going to do? Go get a job and live on their own? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching