Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
I retired last June after 28 years of teaching high school. Anybody who goes into this profession in my opinion is a fool. You will be stuck between administrators who will not support you and the student and his mommy friend who will blame you. Because special education kids are being put in regular education classrooms you will have to modifiy lessons and tests and go to IEP meetings. You will have to tolerate odd and bizarre behavior. You will be told to test state standards to kids who do not know their times tables.
I feel completely supported, speaking for myself - the team at my school presents a united front. I realize this is not the case in every school.

It's a probably a really good thing you're not teaching anymore, given your attitude toward students with disabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 05:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,247,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
You quit the profession.
Maybe when they realize no one wants to do it anymore, they will change the rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess72 View Post
Quiting is never the answer. Parents need to be more acountable for there children's behavior. Maybe the parents should have to come in and serve detention.

If things continue as they are for you Jennife5221, and they probably will, There will come a day you will wished you had done it sooner.

I considered it in 1997, just two years after graduating EMU.

I had the thought back in 2000. I was working at an alternative high school and loving it. The kids were great and for the first time in their lives being successful in school. The first graduating class of 10, half were my students. The second class of 20, 12 were my students (SpEd.)

It was the admin and other teachers that pushed me out. I should have changed careers then---->but NO, I foolishly believed it woud be different the next school---You may say I'm a dreamer....

Now 12 years later, in another state education is still the same ole same ole...

This will be my last year. Come June I am done with education and teaching--let the bureaucrats finish destroying education as we once knew it.

I am tired of fighting the good fight...

Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM

616 posts, read 855,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
You quit the profession.
Maybe when they realize no one wants to do it anymore, they will change the rules.
That's what "they"(Government) wants you to do. throw your hands up in disgust so they can step in and put all the kids to work. learning goes out the door. now you just have a generation of workers. which is exactly what the government wants. warms bodies with social security numbers.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 PM

616 posts, read 855,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
So tell me...what is legal anymore.
You can't deprive the student of his/her education so you can't put them in the hall.
You can't call home because they don't believe you.
You can't send them to the principal because you look bad.
So...what now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
forget about "looking bad" they are doing that to you already. what you should do is PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN...and kick them outta your classroom citing that they are being disruptive...and let the chips fall where they may. if you get fired. sue...sue...sue..the school not the board. the school itself and the principle. that'll show em.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 PM

346 posts, read 507,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
So tell me...what is legal anymore.
You can't deprive the student of his/her education so you can't put them in the hall.
You can't call home because they don't believe you.
You can't send them to the principal because you look bad.
So...what now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just one of the problems contributing to the failure of our education system. A society full of entitlement and lack of parenting are definitely ingredients that play a role.

I have a good friend who taught in the KY school systems for 17 years and went back after a five year break to work towards a better retirement package. She was shocked to find out she could no longer send the kids to the pricipal's office, it wasn't EVEN an option.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
That's what "they"(Government) wants you to do. throw your hands up in disgust so they can step in and put all the kids to work. learning goes out the door. now you just have a generation of workers. which is exactly what the government wants. warms bodies with social security numbers.
Not that I don't love a good conspiracy theory, but you'd think that the conspiracy angle would be more about the government shipping all the jobs OUT, not stockpiling a generation of menial laborers by abolishing public education via smoking teachers out. If "the government" truly wanted "workers," there'd be jobs for them, no?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 PM

178 posts, read 332,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Actually that isn't true at all.

CHILDREN need to be held accountable for their own behavior BY their parents as well as the schools.

Parents can create a good environment for their children and still have children misbehave. It is not reasonable to expect parents to control their children outside of their presence, this is especially true during the teenage years when peers become the primary source of expectations.

I do wish parents would support the idea of children being held accountable more than many of them currently do.
Yes being accountable is part of growing up. If children don't learn self worth, respect for others, and that their are consquences for your actions, they will never be decent adults.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:00 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,422,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess72 View Post
Quiting is never the answer. Parents need to be more acountable for there children's behavior. Maybe the parents should have to come in and serve detention.

Believe me, the parents can't do anything, either. If I so much as frown at my ds, he calls CPS---that's the truth! They tell him any time he feels "threatened" by his family to call 911, which he has done on numerous occasions. I'm sick of finding police in my house. I even had a cop out here tell ME "the problem with you, lady, is you always have to have the last word"

Hey, in the first place, its ma'am, not "lady" said in a saracastic tone. Then, who said there was a problem with me---I told ds to finish his homework and go to bed. And, of course I have the last word---don't I? I'm the P-A-R-E-N-T! Not the scapegoat! Also, every time they come out here they give ds their card and actually encourage him to call them anytime he feels like his parents are "making him feel bad"

Teachers have no authority anymore, but neither do parents. imagine law enforcement taking sides with a bratty 14-year old and "telling the parent off" doesn't that empower the kid? What am I supposed to do, tell ds do his homework if he likes, and go to bed when he pleases? Next they will go to school and upbraid the teacher for telling the kid something he doesn't like.

I agreee parents should be ALLOWED to be accountable for their kids' behavior, shouldn't law enforcement stand behind parents, instead of allowing and encouraging a kid to do as he pleases and call the cops on his parents if he doesn't like something?

Next time---and there will be a next time with DS---we will be prepared to videotape the whole thing and see who would like to see it---local news, CNN, Dr Phil----Cops encourage kid to call 911 if he doesn't like parents "rules"

Old 09-20-2011, 10:50 PM

178 posts, read 332,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Believe me, the parents can't do anything, either. If I so much as frown at my ds, he calls CPS---that's the truth! They tell him any time he feels "threatened" by his family to call 911, which he has done on numerous occasions. I'm sick of finding police in my house. I even had a cop out here tell ME "the problem with you, lady, is you always have to have the last word"

Hey, in the first place, its ma'am, not "lady" said in a saracastic tone. Then, who said there was a problem with me---I told ds to finish his homework and go to bed. And, of course I have the last word---don't I? I'm the P-A-R-E-N-T! Not the scapegoat! Also, every time they come out here they give ds their card and actually encourage him to call them anytime he feels like his parents are "making him feel bad"

Teachers have no authority anymore, but neither do parents. imagine law enforcement taking sides with a bratty 14-year old and "telling the parent off" doesn't that empower the kid? What am I supposed to do, tell ds do his homework if he likes, and go to bed when he pleases? Next they will go to school and upbraid the teacher for telling the kid something he doesn't like.

I agreee parents should be ALLOWED to be accountable for their kids' behavior, shouldn't law enforcement stand behind parents, instead of allowing and encouraging a kid to do as he pleases and call the cops on his parents if he doesn't like something?

Next time---and there will be a next time with DS---we will be prepared to videotape the whole thing and see who would like to see it---local news, CNN, Dr Phil----Cops encourage kid to call 911 if he doesn't like parents "rules"
I would probably video your kid first. Getting angry at the police will only raise their suspicions.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:57 PM

102 posts, read 171,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
forget about "looking bad" they are doing that to you already. what you should do is PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN...and kick them outta your classroom citing that they are being disruptive...and let the chips fall where they may. if you get fired. sue...sue...sue..the school not the board. the school itself and the principle. that'll show em.
If it was that easy, it would have been done ages ago. The response will be that all students have a right to a public education. Perhaps if a teacher was repeatedly physically assualted.....but now resources are so slim I can imagine administration arguing that there was nothing they could do to help. It's great that some people are durable enough to keep at it for years, but if some burn out, well, that's to be expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching