Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
This is a difficult situation in many ways.

I think the lesson here is that everyone should act in the workplace as if they might be being filmed.

As for teachers that don't have enough control that they throw desks....no sympathy there.

I agree but that would be a whole lot easier if our students acted like they were being video taped.

I have the ability to record my lectures on my smart board. As soon as someone notices I'm recording, they all straighten right up. The computer picks up what is said as well as what is being done on the board. I should just mount an empty camera box in my room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree but that would be a whole lot easier if our students acted like they were being video taped.

I have the ability to record my lectures on my smart board. As soon as someone notices I'm recording, they all straighten right up. The computer picks up what is said as well as what is being done on the board. I should just mount an empty camera box in my room.

Can you play back sections during a later class session as an anticipatory set? That might set the tone for a better classroom environment.

I started our second semester today by giving all the students progress reports showing what will be on their report cards next week. That got the attention of a lot of them. Unfortunately, they couldn't all keep their attention focused because they didn't go to bed early enough last night. Better tomorrow, I hope.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Can you play back sections during a later class session as an anticipatory set? That might set the tone for a better classroom environment.

I started our second semester today by giving all the students progress reports showing what will be on their report cards next week. That got the attention of a lot of them. Unfortunately, they couldn't all keep their attention focused because they didn't go to bed early enough last night. Better tomorrow, I hope.
I don't, usually, play them back. I put them on my website for all the world to see.... The change in the atmosphere in the room is palpable. If I'm recording, they're paying attention (less talking, less making noise of any kind) and I don't get hands going up to ask if they can go to the bathroom in the middle of a sentence. I fear using this too much would make the novelty wear off. It is nice though to just click a button and the class falls in line. I do it when I don't think they're getting the material so they can review it later.

I don't know if it's the idea that they are being recorded along with me or if hitting that record button just sends the message "THIS IS IMPORTANT" but it's a nice tool to have in my back pocket. I'm still on break this week and playing with the lap pad they gave me. Now I'll be able to lecture from anywhere in the room so I can use proximity during lectures. One of my issues is talking as soon as I turn my back to write something on the board then having to call the class back to order. If I never have to turn around, I won't have that problem.

I think my new years resolution is flopping here....

Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,586 times
Why do students have hand-held technology out during class?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
Why do students have hand-held technology out during class?
Because teachers can't see through desk tops and students know we can't watch all 30 at one time while teaching. In short, because they can get away with it more often than they're caught. I would love to have the school put in a blocking device that renders them useless.

I've tried having students put cell phones on desks but half of them just claim they don't have it with them. The half that put them on the desk aren't the ones using them under the tables anyway and it's not just cell phones, they have ipods that go online too...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 PM

178 posts, read 332,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have another perspective on this. Teachers have always lost their tempers. That's nothing new. I'm sure if I had to deal with as many kids as they do, I'd lose my temper as well. The earliest time I can remember a teacher behaving in a way that just seemed out of control was when I was in second grade...the teacher was screaming and chasing a little boy around the classroom, then dragged him out and they disappeared for a while. I remember how scary that was. It happened a lot more in high school...teachers would scream and throw erasers, or cuss at us. And that was at an expensive private school, in the honors classes, where we certainly behaved better than kids do in my children's classes. I don't remember a teacher ever getting in any kind of trouble for it.

I think the only new thing here is that kids have a little bit more protection. They have the option to pull out a cell phone and start recording the incident. They have the ability to share the recording with the world. I don't think the kids are baiting the teachers any more than they ever have--and yes, some kids are irritating and they push people to see what happens. But there have always been kids like that.
Posting something to make anyone look bad is wrong. If my children ever did this I would be ashamed that I wasn't a good parent. No one should be treated with so much disrespect. For a parent to say it is a defense strategy is sad. If the child has a problem with a teacher you discuss it with your parents or the proper authorities.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Cyberbaiting- a new trend with some teens. try to goad a teacher into losing it and then they post the breakdown on the internet.

Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers | TakePart - News, Culture, Videos and Photos That Make the World Better
Gosh that sounds just like my job as a Guard in a Maximum Security prison. EXCEPT I had a high powered rifle and a shotgun when on tower duty.

GL2

Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 AM

17,402 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because teachers can't see through desk tops and students know we can't watch all 30 at one time while teaching. In short, because they can get away with it more often than they're caught. I would love to have the school put in a blocking device that renders them useless.

I've tried having students put cell phones on desks but half of them just claim they don't have it with them. The half that put them on the desk aren't the ones using them under the tables anyway and it's not just cell phones, they have ipods that go online too...
If you have a "no using a cell phone/unapproved electronic device at your desk" policy in your classroom, why are so many students disregarding it?

What is the consequence to the student when they disregard your rules?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If you have a "no using a cell phone/unapproved electronic device at your desk" policy in your classroom, why are so many students disregarding it?

What is the consequence to the student when they disregard your rules?
Normally the only possible consequence is to hold the device until the end of class and give a referral. A handful of districts will allow a teacher to hold the device or give the device to the office until a parent comes to pick it up, but that is rare.

Another small but disturbing trend is to embarrass female teachers and administrators by taking revealing pictures of them. A vice principal at my wife's middle school had an incident with boys trying to take pictures down her blouse. The middle school implemented a teacher dress code to help combat that (no skirts, dresses, t-shirts, or sleeveless tops).

Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 AM

17,402 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Normally the only possible consequence is to hold the device until the end of class and give a referral. A handful of districts will allow a teacher to hold the device or give the device to the office until a parent comes to pick it up, but that is rare.

Another small but disturbing trend is to embarrass female teachers and administrators by taking revealing pictures of them. A vice principal at my wife's middle school had an incident with boys trying to take pictures down her blouse. The middle school implemented a teacher dress code to help combat that (no skirts, dresses, t-shirts, or sleeveless tops).
So a kid can be taking a test at his desk while sneaking peaks at his cell phone/Ipad/Iphone - no real consequences?

That sure doesn't seem right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching