Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 PM

42 posts, read 86,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romila View Post
I mean when a student is punished it like oh you are being to harsh, but what about a student who is disrespectful. What is that called?
Unfortunately that is called, "situation normal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:18 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
In case anyone was interested, here's the video:
Crazy Teacher goes off at mcgavock. - YouTube

Old 01-20-2012, 06:27 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,954 times
I just saw the video. This is so sad.....but still, the whole story is NOT being shown....and that it is allowed to be where the whole world can see????? PATHETIC on all accounts...and look what this says about our society.....

Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,905 times
Maybe this is just happening here in Houston, but in my experience our local news almost never mentions the problems in schools that are regularly discussed here on C-D and elsewhere on the net. So my friends/family are surprised when I show them articles and videos describing how bads things are. I don't want to seem like a conspiracy theorist, but something isn't right about that..........

Old 01-21-2012, 11:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Maybe this is just happening here in Houston, but in my experience our local news almost never mentions the problems in schools that are regularly discussed here on C-D and elsewhere on the net. So my friends/family are surprised when I show them articles and videos describing how bads things are. I don't want to seem like a conspiracy theorist, but something isn't right about that..........
What news media are you seeing?

From 2008
ABUSIVE TEACHERS / Hundreds of Texas educators cited for misconduct / State second in instructors facing sanctions 10/21/2007 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
A review by The Associated Press shows Texas is No. 2 in the nation in the number of teachers sanctioned for sexual misconduct. Texas Education Agency records indicate at least 200 teachers have active sanctions on their certifications for sexual misconduct that occurred between 2001 and 2005. At least 50 more certified teachers faced sex crime allegations but had their sanctions lifted or have decisions pending.

More than 1,300 certified teachers in Texas received sanctions from 2001-05 because of allegations that ranged from the mundane to the macabre. They included mail fraud and violating open records, as well as kidnapping and attempted murder, according to TEA records.
Here's some local coverage of Houston school problems. This is all about one particular incident in a charter school. This one was in 2010

Houston teacher beating student story gets national attention | abc13.com

Raw: Houston teacher beats student in class | khou.com Houston

Texas Teacher Who Went All Naomi Campbell In Class Apologizes | Bossip

More recently, in 2011

Parents Accuse Katy ISD of Abuse, Cover-Up (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/110721-parents-accuse-katy-isd-of-abuse-cover-up - broken link)

Katy teacher accused of hitting student with bottle - Houston Chronicle

I'm in the Houston area and am appalled by the incidents we hear about.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
What news media are you seeing?

From 2008
ABUSIVE TEACHERS / Hundreds of Texas educators cited for misconduct / State second in instructors facing sanctions 10/21/2007 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Here's some local coverage of Houston school problems. This is all about one particular incident in a charter school. This one was in 2010

Houston teacher beating student story gets national attention | abc13.com

Raw: Houston teacher beats student in class | khou.com Houston

Texas Teacher Who Went All Naomi Campbell In Class Apologizes | Bossip

More recently, in 2011

Parents Accuse Katy ISD of Abuse, Cover-Up (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/110721-parents-accuse-katy-isd-of-abuse-cover-up - broken link)

Katy teacher accused of hitting student with bottle - Houston Chronicle

I'm in the Houston area and am appalled by the incidents we hear about.
While those are problems and I have seen them broadcast....a lot!, I was actually referring to teaching, discipline and learning process issues, but I guess those issues don't generate nearly the size of ratings that the sensational, teacher-dates-tenth-grader type of stuff does.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 PM

831 posts, read 680,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm moving this to Education, because it is not really a Parenting topic.

On the Contrary, Bad kids dont make bad teachers or teachers go bad, bad parents make bad kids.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 PM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
I feel bad for the kids in that class who weren't doing anything wrong but had to witness all of this nonsense....

Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 AM

63 posts, read 115,259 times
Makes me glad I'm out of the profession... I probably was not the right type of person for the job anyway... I had expectation that kids would behave themselves... I did get in their faces when they pushed the limits... As well, I had numerous conflicts with principals and other admin. over proper discipline procedures... I had one asst. principal who thought detention was an appropriate consequence for a girl who decided to call me a douche-bag for taking up her beloved ipod... I learned more about how screwed up the public ed. system is than I ever cared to know. I'm not sure that the system is better off without me, however, I do know that I'm much better off without it. Life after teaching is so much more pleasant, calm & quite. I look back on my teaching days as dog years. I'd get out of my car at the end of the day, head just spinning, say to myself, what was that??? I should probably thank the SOB principal(s) that made my life a living hell the past 3 yrs., but I'm still angry as hell. I'd probably be more inclined to stick my middle finger in their face if I saw them in public. hahahah P.S. Come to find out, all my efforts were not in-vain , heard it through the grapevine that the district has done away with their insane walk-through mandate where all principals and asst. principals were required to do 25 walk-throughs per week. This placed an enormous amount of stress on teachers, and if you ask me, the system itself had become corrupt, administrators were using it as a means to "whip" teachers. My final days as a teacher revolved around a string of these walk-throughs where things were being documented about my class that simply weren't true. Not subjective either, things like whether I was standing or sitting. When you see bold face lies and attempts being made like that, you know it's time to leave. My last day as a teacher (in spirit) came after 2 consecutive bogus walk-through reports, i was sitting next to my most challenging student providing 1 on 1 assistance, had my back to the door, had a couple students up at the board, some were on computers, all were pretty much busy. It was a good day. Next, in walks my principal, starts doing his walk-through. A soon as class is over, i go online to check his observation, he has at least 3 things on there that are just simply false. I said that's it, I cannot work under these conditions. That effectively became my last day as a teacher, not the glorious end that we all hope for, but far better than some. The idiot then tries some other ill fated moves to try to control me and my indignation. But I would stand for none of it. I filed grievances again he and his crony AP. Had my lawyer file a request for public information (that really is your best weapon) but in the end I settled. I requested that they place me on paid admin. leave to the end of the year (this was in Jan. 2011) contingent upon my resignation dated June 2nd, 2011. Not b4 I got to see the ugly side of HR... By then, I was glad to give it... I remain concerned for all of you that are still in the field, I also applaud your efforts. Keep up the good work, and continue to fight the good fight. peace...

Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Johnson 44 View Post
Makes me glad I'm out of the profession... I probably was not the right type of person for the job anyway... I had expectation that kids would behave themselves... I did get in their faces when they pushed the limits... As well, I had numerous conflicts with principals and other admin. over proper discipline procedures... I had one asst. principal who thought detention was an appropriate consequence for a girl who decided to call me a douche-bag for taking up her beloved ipod... I learned more about how screwed up the public ed. system is than I ever cared to know. I'm not sure that the system is better off without me, however, I do know that I'm much better off without it. Life after teaching is so much more pleasant, calm & quite. I look back on my teaching days as dog years. I'd get out of my car at the end of the day, head just spinning, say to myself, what was that??? I should probably thank the SOB principal(s) that made my life a living hell the past 3 yrs., but I'm still angry as hell. I'd probably be more inclined to stick my middle finger in their face if I saw them in public. hahahah P.S. Come to find out, all my efforts were not in-vain , heard it through the grapevine that the district has done away with their insane walk-through mandate where all principals and asst. principals were required to do 25 walk-throughs per week. This placed an enormous amount of stress on teachers, and if you ask me, the system itself had become corrupt, administrators were using it as a means to "whip" teachers. My final days as a teacher revolved around a string of these walk-throughs where things were being documented about my class that simply weren't true. Not subjective either, things like whether I was standing or sitting. When you see bold face lies and attempts being made like that, you know it's time to leave. My last day as a teacher (in spirit) came after 2 consecutive bogus walk-through reports, i was sitting next to my most challenging student providing 1 on 1 assistance, had my back to the door, had a couple students up at the board, some were on computers, all were pretty much busy. It was a good day. Next, in walks my principal, starts doing his walk-through. A soon as class is over, i go online to check his observation, he has at least 3 things on there that are just simply false. I said that's it, I cannot work under these conditions. That effectively became my last day as a teacher, not the glorious end that we all hope for, but far better than some. The idiot then tries some other ill fated moves to try to control me and my indignation. But I would stand for none of it. I filed grievances again he and his crony AP. Had my lawyer file a request for public information (that really is your best weapon) but in the end I settled. I requested that they place me on paid admin. leave to the end of the year (this was in Jan. 2011) contingent upon my resignation dated June 2nd, 2011. Not b4 I got to see the ugly side of HR... By then, I was glad to give it... I remain concerned for all of you that are still in the field, I also applaud your efforts. Keep up the good work, and continue to fight the good fight. peace...
The expectation that kids will behave themselves keeps biting me in the butt. After 5 years, I'm still stunned when they don't. My parents would have killed me for acting like my students do.

When will people realize that the thing that is wrong with education is that our kids view it as something forced upon them that they resist instead of the privilidge it is? As long as a teacher's first job is policing behaviors in the classroom, education will fail.

I do bellwork in my classes, my students have been doing it since the bginning of the year, yet, I have to TELL THEM every single day to do their bellwork and, still, half of them won't don't do it. Unless there is a punishment attached to not doing it they don't. I'd love to be able to do activities just because they're good for learning but I can't. When I start an activity, a hand will go up and the question will be "Are you grading this?". If I say no, half of my students will put down their pencils, cross their arms across their chests and sit there. They've been conditioned only to do things when there's a punishment or reward in place. They do not care about learning. Neither do their parents. They care about grades.

I hate walk throughs. What gets noted depends on whether the evaluator likes you. Unfortunately, I'm being evaluated by someone who didn't want me hired this year. We'll see how it goes. Fortunately, I'm planning on leaving education next year anyway.

In my time as a teacher, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot make kids learn who don't want to learn and the ones who want to learn don't need me because they will learn anyway. With the attitude students and parents have about education, teachers need to be entertainers who can trick students into learning. THAT is not me. My forte is that I know my material but that is worthless with the attitudes I deal with. If I try to raise the bar, I have parents pulling it back down because Johnny didn't get an A. I feel like I'm pushing a rope and no one is pulling on the other end.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 02-01-2012 at 03:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching