Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 AM

158 posts, read 239,248 times

Advertisements

at my school, they are taken up and turned into the office. The student cannot get them until friday and then a parent has to come and pick it up and pay 15 dollars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If you have a "no using a cell phone/unapproved electronic device at your desk" policy in your classroom, why are so many students disregarding it?

What is the consequence to the student when they disregard your rules?
Cell phones are turned in to the office but, as I noted, they're more likely not to get caught than to get caught and they know it. I can't watch 30 students every second while teaching. I catch one now and again but the rule is, for evey one I catch, five got away with it and they know the odds are in their favor. I can't see through desks. I can suspect someone is using a cell phone or other device but by the time I can move to a position where I can see, they've pocketed it. So all trying to police this does is disrupt the flow of class. If I do take a cell phone, they pick it up at the office at the end of the day. So the punishment is they have to do what they were supposed to in the first place which is not use their cell phone in school.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historygrad View Post
at my school, they are taken up and turned into the office. The student cannot get them until friday and then a parent has to come and pick it up and pay 15 dollars
I like your school! If they'd lose it until Friday, they'd be afraid of getting caught. Our kids lose them for the rest of that day. Seriously, they should put a cell phone infraction in our attendance system and, at least, treat them like tardies. Get three and you do a detention.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 AM

158 posts, read 239,248 times
I know its really cool...sometimes i "paraphrase" what i am going to say and i just walk up and down the aisles while im teaching..talk about nervious!..they all start fidgeting around and getting uncomfortable. I can tell they are not used to that but to someone standing in front of them all day lecturing.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Funny. When I taught...I made goals for students to learn how to use their cell phones....teach SPED...the secret wonderful teaching job.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,667 times
I know that enforcing any cell phone policy is not easy. Some days, it is the bane of my existence.

The reason I brought it up is because I am curious if students who engage in cyberbaiting face any consequence(s.)

Old 01-05-2012, 06:39 AM

17,402 posts, read 16,553,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
I know that enforcing any cell phone policy is not easy. Some days, it is the bane of my existence.

The reason I brought it up is because I am curious if students who engage in cyberbaiting face any consequence(s.)
I think too much happens "off camera" leading up to these recorded outbursts. By simply looking at a video, how do you determine the difference between an irate teacher who is having a bad day, a loose cannon who should not be teaching at all and a teacher who was goaded, "baited" into blowing their top?

Have the students actually incited the incident or are they merely witnesses who are recording the incident? Does it matter? Should the consequences for the students (posting a video on Youtube) be the same whether they incited the incident or not?

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-05-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 01-05-2012, 12:26 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
As a substitute teacher, I'm surprised that I have as little problem with students on cell phones, IPods, etc. as I do. Perhaps the regular teachers are so strict that the students don't want to risk it. Or, perhaps the students are extremely good at hiding them and I miss it.

On a side note, yesterday all the students were buzzing about the new policy about detentions at the high school. Students have one week to catch up on all of their missing, unserved detentions. After that if you miss your detention the school will take away your assigned parking spot for the rest of the semester (and give it to someone on the waiting list). And if they catch you parking in your old spot,the teachers parking lot or in a visitors space they will have your car towed away and there will be a $175 impound fee to get it back. I heard several students say that they would try extra hard not to get a detention and would definitely serve them it they get one.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
That's pretty funny that students are worried about that. The high school my wife teaches at (she's a travelling teacher) has no more than 20 students (out of 1350) who drive to school.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I should just mount an empty camera box in my room.
Or casually mention that an adult's cellphone usually includes a voice recording feature. And many MP3 players include the same capability. Then add that heck, one of those devices may be present in the classroom right now - muwhahahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching