Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 AM

652 posts, read 1,053,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
REALLY?? I work in healthcare and I have not been attacked nor am I hated the way Teachers are....In fact I have better hours, Pay, free healthcare and 4 weeks vacation a year and I only work 25 hours a week! I have also had two raises in one year...both 2
plus dollars an hour....WOW I have it pretty good
I actually feel bad for DH as he is paid less , works more hours and he pays for his healthcare and NO raise in 4 years
Free healthcare in a 25 hour a week job is fairly rare. All three of the largest healthcare related employers where I live health insurance is not free..not anywhere close.

While you may have great hours, many healthcare jobs involve nights, weekends, and holidays.

You are comparing anecdotal experiences anyway.

I'm simply saying that each profession has it's challenges.

OP wants a medal and to be told he has it pretty rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 AM

238 posts, read 669,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
Actually any healthcare worker in the public sector has been affected by budget legislation. This would include people working in the VA system at the federal level, people working in teaching hospitals at state universities.

Healthcare workers of all stripes are affected by changes in Medicare etc. IF Obama makes changes to the Medicare system...that affects care providers.

If states make budget cuts to Medicaid..that also affects the care providers.

What are you talking about regarding licenses?
Hummm, NO its does not affect us as we will just not see these type of patients . As it is now we do not take medicaid and IF medicare drops to low we are not required to see them OR we will have the Patients pay the difference...That is the reality of YOUR future healthcare!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Hummm, NO its does not affect us as we will just not see these type of patients . As it is now we do not take medicaid and IF medicare drops to low we are not required to see them OR we will have the Patients pay the difference...That is the reality of YOUR future healthcare!
Well isn't it nice you don't "see these types of patients".

Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
That is a reality we had all better prepare for. I, for one, do not expect to have anywhere near the medical benefits my mother in law has through the government. I expect I'll be paying, heavily, for gap insurance.

I always laugh at the retirement income calculartors that tell you you need less to live on because your house will be paid for when, reality is, you'll be paying a house payment out in medical insurance premiums and copays. I'm anticipating $1,000/month in medical expenses for myself when I retire. I hope I'm not too low.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
REALLY?? I work in healthcare and I have not been attacked nor am I hated the way Teachers are....In fact I have better hours, Pay, free healthcare and 4 weeks vacation a year and I only work 25 hours a week! I have also had two raises in one year...both 2
plus dollars an hour....WOW I have it pretty good
I actually feel bad for DH as he is paid less , works more hours and he pays for his healthcare and NO raise in 4 years
Darn....I went into the wrong profession. Congrats on making a better choice than I did...

Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Seriously, when schools like New Trier in Wilmette, IL and ETHS in Evanston, IL (where my kids went) don't make AYP and people then use that to say that these are not good schools, I question the sanity of the idea that any of this testing means anything at all.
I completely agree, I remember nearly spewing coffee when East Chapel Hill High School and Chapel Hill High School did not make AYP. It is stuff like this that makes me question NCLB.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That is a reality we had all better prepare for. I, for one, do not expect to have anywhere near the medical benefits my mother in law has through the government. I expect I'll be paying, heavily, for gap insurance.

I always laugh at the retirement income calculartors that tell you you need less to live on because your house will be paid for when, reality is, you'll be paying a house payment out in medical insurance premiums and copays. I'm anticipating $1,000/month in medical expenses for myself when I retire. I hope I'm not too low.
I don't know about others, but our healthcare is by no means "covered" or even cheap while we are teaching. When we retire, the cost really shoots up. The school board will cover $100 of the monthly premium for a retiree. Depending upon the plan, it easily tops $1k a month for family coverage and is over $900/mo. for a mini-family (covering 2 people).

Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't know about others, but our healthcare is by no means "covered" or even cheap while we are teaching. When we retire, the cost really shoots up. The school board will cover $100 of the monthly premium for a retiree. Depending upon the plan, it easily tops $1k a month for family coverage and is over $900/mo. for a mini-family (covering 2 people).
I wish I had the benefits everyone thinks I have . Yes, I have great medical but I pay a good chunk of the expense. Yes, I have a great retirement plan but they take 11% of my pay every pay period to fund it on top of what they take to fund current retiree medical benefits. This part I can live without as there is no guarantee that current teachers will do the same when I'm a retiree and I'm going to wish I had that money if they don't. This is, currently, being challenged in court. Basically, they take money out of my check that I see no benefit from. It goes to pay a retiree's benefits. So, while our retirees have medical benefits, they are being paid for by the current group of working teachers.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Just read a great open letter to the President from a teacher. They are asking why, ....I think one has to read it to understand...

I am a teacher. You know, one of those about whom you and your Secretary of Education say are so important to our young people. If only I - and thousands, perhaps millions of other teachers - could believe those words.

Continued here--

Dear Mr. President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
Free healthcare in a 25 hour a week job is fairly rare. All three of the largest healthcare related employers where I live health insurance is not free..not anywhere close.

While you may have great hours, many healthcare jobs involve nights, weekends, and holidays.

You are comparing anecdotal experiences anyway.

I'm simply saying that each profession has it's challenges.

OP wants a medal and to be told he has it pretty rough.
Really??? Where does anything like he bold part occur?

Why when we defend our professions are we told we "want a medal"?

Fleur, you are one of the reasons teacher feel attacked. The OP has nothing to do with wanting to be told how "rough" we have it. Nothing at all. Yet just because the OP wants to defend the profession he is assumed to be complaining.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Really??? Where does anything like he bold part occur?

Why when we defend our professions are we told we "want a medal"?

Fleur, you are one of the reasons teacher feel attacked. The OP has nothing to do with wanting to be told how "rough" we have it. Nothing at all. Yet just because the OP wants to defend the profession he is assumed to be complaining.
This isn't the first time this person has started a thread like this. Framing it as "teachers are hated", or framing the debate as it was in the "in what other profession", it seems to me the OP thinks that it is teachers alone that have struggles in their daily working lives.

I din't start this thread, but the thread took a turn where some want to imply that teachers have it much rougher than others....that is what I have an objection to.

I read a blog that is similar in many ways to this thread. It is all..."the students have parents that are crackheads, and my profession has it so rough". People get sick of hearing that.

Did you read the "In what other profession" thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching