Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 01:35 PM

652 posts, read 1,053,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Really??? Where does anything like he bold part occur?

Why when we defend our professions are we told we "want a medal"?

Fleur, you are one of the reasons teacher feel attacked. The OP has nothing to do with wanting to be told how "rough" we have it. Nothing at all. Yet just because the OP wants to defend the profession he is assumed to be complaining.
I'll rephrase my original thoughts. I'm not sure what the intentions of OP were....the thread did take an odd turn though in my estimation, that goes beyond defending one's profession.

Some of my comments were more aimed at dispelling the myth that only the teaching profession is "hated".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 04:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
This isn't the first time this person has started a thread like this. Framing it as "teachers are hated", or framing the debate as it was in the "in what other profession", it seems to me the OP thinks that it is teachers alone that have struggles in their daily working lives.

I din't start this thread, but the thread took a turn where some want to imply that teachers have it much rougher than others....that is what I have an objection to.

I read a blog that is similar in many ways to this thread. It is all..."the students have parents that are crackheads, and my profession has it so rough". People get sick of hearing that.

Did you read the "In what other profession" thread?
Ah, I see, so instead of reading what this thread is actually about (which btw, is not remotely what you stated) you just made an assumption.

Here is that OP as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Just found this letter written by a parent in Kansas in response to a form letter from the Kansas State Board of Education. The letter was sent as a notice thert his child's school was not making adequate yearly progress (AYP)..

It reads in part---

In what other profession are the licensed professionals considered the LEAST knowledgeable about the job? You seldom if ever hear “that guy couldn’t possibly know a thing about law enforcement – he’s a police officer”, or “she can’t be trusted talking about fire safety – she’s a firefighter.”

In what other profession is experience viewed as a liability rather than an asset? You won’t find a contractor advertising “choose me – I’ve never done this before”, and your doctor won’t recommend a surgeon on the basis of her “having very little experience with the procedure”.

In what other profession is the desire for competitive salary viewed as proof of callous indifference towards the job? You won’t hear many say “that lawyer charges a lot of money, she obviously doesn’t care about her clients”, or “that coach earns millions – clearly he doesn’t care about the team.”

Read the letter in its entirety--

IN WHAT OTHER PROFESSION---

Where does the OP in anyway talk about getting medals, or how "rough" they have it?

All of the quoted parts are REACTIONARY, which means they are a DEFENSE of the profession. You do notice the parts where there are quotes teacher often hear about how easy we have it, how greedy we ar and how we are generally the scum of the earth, right? I have actually had people say things along those lines to me.

So now I get to add that any words in defending ourselves or our profession are asking for "medals" or whining that we "have it rough".

Nice.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
I'll rephrase my original thoughts. I'm not sure what the intentions of OP were....the thread did take an odd turn though in my estimation, that goes beyond defending one's profession.

Some of my comments were more aimed at dispelling the myth that only the teaching profession is "hated".
Really, look at your own posts. The very act of defending our profession was met with claims that we are whining about how rough we have it.

Look at the many of the posts by people here on CD made by non teachers. It is clear that many, many people have no respect for teachers as professionals, and hate that we make more than minimum wage.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:55 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
Well, bitching about your job 24 hours a day and then getting 3 months paid vacation might have something to do with it.

Really, all we ever seem to hear from teachers is how difficult their job is. As if the rest of us are just skating through our jobs. And by the way if you have to ***** so much about it, it really says you are not there because you love it, but more for the incredible benefits, pay and job security. Not to mention getting paid on the backs of the rest of us. So yeah, some people don't want to hear it anymore.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times
Quote:
Really, look at your own posts. The very act of defending our profession was met with claims that we are whining about how rough we have it.

Look at the many of the posts by people here on CD made by non teachers. It is clear that many, many people have no respect for teachers as professionals, and hate that we make more than minimum wage.

I for one, sincerely wish teachers made more money, much more than they typically make. Perhaps then it would attract someone with half a brain

Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Quote:

No one hates that you make no more than minimum wage. What gets old is the constant thinking amongst a few of you (don't get me wrong- there are so many WONDERFUL teachers out there) that you have it so much rougher than other professions. Teaching is a difficult profession to be in, no doubt about that. But the constant whining that you're "hated" "attacked by non-teachers", etc. is getting redundant.

But what do I know, I only taught for five years. Surely not enough time to encounter the AWFUL parents and students

Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
No one hates that you make no more than minimum wage.
Yes. Multiple times on cd people have stated we should make minimum wage. So maybe YOU don't feel that way but that does not remotely mean no one does let alone many.

Quote:
What gets old is the constant thinking amongst a few of you (don't get me wrong- there are so many WONDERFUL teachers out there) that you have it so much rougher than other professions. Teaching is a difficult profession to be in, no doubt about that. But the constant whining that you're "hated" "attacked by non-teachers", etc. is getting redundant.
May I ask what profession you are in? Because I just don't see many other professions getting the segments on foxnews about greed and sloth the way teaching does.

If your profession or really any other is as maligned by the press and large portions of the public, than by all means I would say that we are not being singled out. Please show me that. I would love to be wrong.

Quote:
But what do I know, I only taught for five years. Surely not enough time to encounter the AWFUL parents and students
Where did I once say my students were awful? Or their parents? Because clearly you made that up.

Apparently teachers who defend their profession are also by default complaint about "awful parents and students". We are now allowed to say literally nothing. Got it.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Well, bitching about your job 24 hours a day and then getting 3 months paid vacation might have something to do with it.

... but more for the incredible benefits, pay and job security. Not to mention getting paid on the backs of the rest of us. So yeah, some people don't want to hear it anymore.
I typically don't complain...much.

I get 10 checks, one a month Sept.-June since our contract begins the last week of August and ends the third week of June. I'm not paid in July or August, so I set money aside each month for the summer.

I would say I have pretty good job security and I definitely appreciate that fact. I am curious as to what is considered "incredible benefits and pay". I enjoy what I do, but in my 19 years teaching, I've never thought of my pay or benefits to be "incredible".

Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 PM

86 posts, read 222,322 times
There is a good reason why teaching is considered a lame profession in the US. American culture does not value education, we worship the military. Seriously, you're in the wrong profession in the wrong country. If you want to be a teacher, you should move to one of the East Asian countries where teachers are respected. In the US, the military is a better career option.

One of my best friends in high school picked the military over academia. I was shocked at how much money he makes. 6 years in with the rank of Captain, his basic pay is 5272/month, he lives in Hawaii so his housing allowance is 2274/month (tax free, no dependents), his meal allowance is 240/month (tax free), he is a fighter pilot so he gets aviation career incentive pay @ 650/month, on top of that he also gets flight pay, another 150/month. That pretty much adds up to 6 figures. If he gets deployed to a combat zone, everything he makes is tax free. The pension is insanely generous, 50% of final pay at 20 years + 3.5% * additional years beyond 20. Add 30 vacation days a year, free medical + dental, being able to shop cheaply at PX, all sorts of special military discounts. On top of that did I mention he also has unbeatable job security?

So yeah, what were you thinking choosing to become a teacher in the US? You get so much more life satisfaction from bombing foreigners for a living.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times
You know, perhaps teachers would be more appreciated if they didn't look down on the parents. Its the attitude that we are all uneducated white trash (sorry, unless you're black), that irritates us. We are all lazy, ignorant, uneducated slobs and you're so above us.

Try approaching parents as equals (I know, you will choke on it at first, but give it a try). You are dealing with other professionals, teachers aren't the only ones who got past high school. Just because the child is experiencing some problems doesn't mean the parent is some piece of dirt. My dh is an engineer, I'm a CPA. Many other parents in our school district are professionals as well.

Also, most of us do work. Being interrupted in the middle of the work day with your constant whines doesn't put you on our favorite person list. Would you tolerate constant interruptions in the middle of YOUR work day? I believe I posted elsewhere I got constant calls, emails, etc, about my ds when he first started school. yet when I tried to respond "appropriately" (I'm so fed up with that word), by scheduling an appointment with the teacher, I was refused. so, WTH was I supposed to do? Keep listening to her whine when it was covenient for her? Just what did she want? You "appropriate' teachers out there, how is a parent supposed to respond? You keep whining about how parents aren't responsive, yet when a parent takes you seriously and offers to take time out of her day to meet with you---because of YOUR complaints, then you back off.

Also, try to remember, you aren't the only ones juggling time, budgets, etc. Or perhaps I should call you up in the middle of the day and tell you all about my problems? And please, remember WE are paying YOU, its called taxes, we are NOT receiving some sort of dole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching