Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Like I said, my ds had some issues I could have shared with the school if they allowed me to do so. They were misjudging his behaviors, all indicative of abuse, also, they wanted to get back at me for sullying their reputations by daring to request another teacher.

They didn't include ME in the process, figured I was some piece of white trash and proceeded accordingly. If only they hadn't jumped to conclusions, but then, they are used to being always right. It might ruin their ego if they actually admitted sometimes the parent knows their own child better than they do
If you knew of your ds's issues, why didn't YOU contact the school? It always baffles me to hear crap like this from parents. "Oh you're misjudging him". If you KNOW he has behaviors that get misjudged, why don't YOU include the school in on that???

Certain behaviors often indicate certain things and we are REQUIRED BY LAW under penalty of losing our livlihood to report even a suspicion of abuse. If I think youre child MIGHT be abuse I have no choice but to report. So if YOU know that there are issues that get misjudged and YOU didn't do anything to head that off, you set yourself up for a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 04:15 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Like I said, my ds had some issues I could have shared with the school if they allowed me to do so. They were misjudging his behaviors, all indicative of abuse, also, they wanted to get back at me for sullying their reputations by daring to request another teacher.

They didn't include ME in the process, figured I was some piece of white trash and proceeded accordingly. If only they hadn't jumped to conclusions, but then, they are used to being always right. It might ruin their ego if they actually admitted sometimes the parent knows their own child better than they do
You have issues. And as someone who has had to report to dyfs I am clear as to what the weight I meeting the definition of abuse is and is not. Is it possible to get one over zealous call sure but once you are cleared by the system and the teacher was deemed to have made a baseless claim they are not going to take it to court for each additional minor claim. Clearly if you are telling te truth something else was at play. Blaming the teacher here is just a way to scapegoat someone.

Additionally every state allows you to collect damages in civil court for repeated fraudulent abuse claims.

And for my two cents, EVERYONE knows where there is smoke, their is fire. One. baseless claim could happen to anyone. The near dozen you claim. No way.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
Quote:
Talk about attitudes, I was riding with a friend who happened to be a teacher. (Yes, it happens, some parents actually are good enough to associate with teachers). She got pulled over for speeding, she was going about 50 in a 30 MPH zone. She was highly indigant SHE was pulled over, and kept saying to the cop that she was a TEACHER, therefore, she shouldn't be ticketed. She even indicated the school parking sticker, she was a TEACHER! he gave her the ticket, anyways. Apparently, TEACHERS make rules, but they don't follow them
That was her issue. I wouldn't say that is the norm. Many people try the "Do you know who I am or what I do game?" It is a desperation move and rarely works.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM

158 posts, read 239,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Have you ever tried to hold a conversation with your child when s/he is engrossed in some electronic-based activity? It's not easy, is it? Multiply that by 25 or 30 and you get an idea of what it's like in a typical classroom these days. *All* the kids are plugged into something.

Are you, as a parent, checking your child's phone/text records to see when the device is being used? Do you just waggle your finger when you find they've been texting or updating FB statuses all day, or do you confiscate the electronics? In class, I take away cell phones, I take away iPods, I take away hand-held video games, and I've been verbally abused and physically threatened for doing so.

It shouldn't be MY job to teach YOUR child the appropriate time and place for using a phone -- that's YOUR job. However, it falls to me nonetheless -- because if a child is too busy texting to pick up a pencil and do his math assignments, he's not going to pass the class.

And then you're going to blame ME.
oh wow, right on! i have never been threatened for doing that but it is true..i think schools should just outright ban cell phones from their campuses. They are more trouble than they are worth.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 AM

158 posts, read 239,235 times
Quote:
Are YOU going to pay my legal fees? We lost nearly everything we had due to repeated CPS investigations. My ds was NEVER abused, and all the investigations were RULED OUT. But, we still had to pay a fortune to go through the process, not to mention the mental anguish. My dh suffered 2 heart attacks during that time, and lost a good-paying job. What prompted the DT (dear teachers) to keep making CPS complaints? Any little thing----a tiny scratch on the back of his neck was medical neglect, a small stain on his shirt was imporperly dressed, a bruise the size of a pencil eraser was physical abuse, one day he didn't eat his lunch---said he didn't like it, became nutritional neglect, although the lunch was fine. What started all this crap in the first place?Like I said, my ds had some issues integrating into kindergarten, like many do. I got daily complaints about him, but when I tried to schedule an appointment with the school to discuss the "issues" I was told to wait until the first report card, so we "had something to talk about", yet the daily notes kept coming. I made the big mistake of asking my son be transferred to another teacher, because I simply couldn't work with that teacher. I don't consider sending home daily notes, yet refusing to schedule conferences, to be effective parent-teacher communication.

Well, we got a new teacher, but also the wrath of the school. Like another poster indicated, its all one big clique, and I dared make one of them look bad. Well, they retailated big time.

So, DT, perhaps that's one example of why teachers are "hated?" You "cliques" seem to do everything but teach!
I had to laugh about this, first of all i do NOT belong to a clique..while some teachers do form them, is that not the same of most work places? I also do not speak to most teachers nor do i hang out with teachers before or after school..i practice what most would call "professional courtesy"

As i have said before, it is the LAW, jesus man you are about as bad as the kids, blaming us for following the rules(in the students case, whatever the principal wants us to do) I'll tell you what i tell them, i don't make the rules i just follow them. If you don't like it, then speak to your congress man about repealing that law saying that we have to report these kind of things. Come with solutions, not with problems. As for your situation, I find it hard to believe that CPS is going to take the word of a few teachers, they are going to look at the over situation, where the child is living and how and then make an assessment. If that assessment turned out not in your favor, then I would suggest you spend time "righting the wrongs" of whatever they said than trying to blame a few people for actually doing their job.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 AM

606 posts, read 903,878 times
I think teachers get a bad rap and I think most of this stems from a breakdown of parenting. I'm in my 30's with kids. When I was growing up, the teachers were respected and a call from the school meant big trouble with my parents. That was the norm. Now parents coddle their children and seem to have issues with telling their kids "no". I have heard friends state things like, "Johnny was told so and so by a teacher and I told him not to listen to her." and things of that nature. I have heard parents believe everything that their kids says is gospel and it's not possible their child would lie about something that happened at school.
My rules for my children are this: You are not required to like your teacher. You are not required to like the work assigned by said teacher. You ARE required to treat your teacher with respect. You ARE required to complete your tasks as assigned to you. If you have a question or an issue with a task assigned to you, you are to take the issue directly to the teacher on a one on one basis and ask respectfully for clarification. As a parent, if I have an issue with the teacher, I schedule an appointment with the teacher and discuss it.

As an adult, I get up and go to work every day. I work with people I don't like at times. I do assignments I don't like at times. Kids must learn that these things are expected of them and these things will ALWAYS be expected of them. Parents do their children a disservice when they make excuses for bad behavior and allow it to continue. Those kids will be in for a rude awakening when they grow up and get in the real world.

As a parent, it is YOUR job to make sure your child is behaving in class. It is YOUR job to make sure homework assignments are completed. It is YOUR job to bring to the attention of the teacher if there is an issue that impacts learning. It is YOUR job to make sure your children are not distracted by devices that shouldn't be on during the school day. It is YOUR job to parent YOUR child.

Teachers deserve a lot of respect. MUCH more than is given to them. This war on teachers is going to have an impact. People are changing their majors and going into different fields because of the current climate. It's sad too because it's really all political based issues. A way to further divide the country. Hate the public education system, hate on the rules and regulations, etc. but to hate on the teachers, the ones that have the least amount of control over the system, is just misplaced anger that doesn't fix a thing.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
I guess my whole issue is being held accountable for students' learning when they have a history of apathy. In my particular situation, students with a cognitive impairment being expected to pass a standardized grade level test abd being told they need to show improvement.
If we just had a big dose of reality and taught to the student and not the test or curriculum, because this one size fits all has never accomodated everyone.
As for teachers causing problems with child services, it i sthe law that teachers report "suspcious" signs. It is Child Services who decide how to pursue the matter--so blame the social welfare people...the day a teacher doesn't report something and a child is seriously injured or worse..then what will we say?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
I think teachers get a bad rap and I think most of this stems from a breakdown of parenting. I'm in my 30's with kids. When I was growing up, the teachers were respected and a call from the school meant big trouble with my parents. That was the norm. Now parents coddle their children and seem to have issues with telling their kids "no". I have heard friends state things like, "Johnny was told so and so by a teacher and I told him not to listen to her." and things of that nature. I have heard parents believe everything that their kids says is gospel and it's not possible their child would lie about something that happened at school.
My rules for my children are this: You are not required to like your teacher. You are not required to like the work assigned by said teacher. You ARE required to treat your teacher with respect. You ARE required to complete your tasks as assigned to you. If you have a question or an issue with a task assigned to you, you are to take the issue directly to the teacher on a one on one basis and ask respectfully for clarification. As a parent, if I have an issue with the teacher, I schedule an appointment with the teacher and discuss it.

As an adult, I get up and go to work every day. I work with people I don't like at times. I do assignments I don't like at times. Kids must learn that these things are expected of them and these things will ALWAYS be expected of them. Parents do their children a disservice when they make excuses for bad behavior and allow it to continue. Those kids will be in for a rude awakening when they grow up and get in the real world.

As a parent, it is YOUR job to make sure your child is behaving in class. It is YOUR job to make sure homework assignments are completed. It is YOUR job to bring to the attention of the teacher if there is an issue that impacts learning. It is YOUR job to make sure your children are not distracted by devices that shouldn't be on during the school day. It is YOUR job to parent YOUR child.

Teachers deserve a lot of respect. MUCH more than is given to them. This war on teachers is going to have an impact. People are changing their majors and going into different fields because of the current climate. It's sad too because it's really all political based issues. A way to further divide the country. Hate the public education system, hate on the rules and regulations, etc. but to hate on the teachers, the ones that have the least amount of control over the system, is just misplaced anger that doesn't fix a thing.
ITA! Parents need to parent their children and stop blaming teachers and the education system if their child falls behind. Children are so overly wired that they can't hold their attention in class to learn. Teachers are doing their best with the resources they have. Parents who don't take an active role in ensuring their children are learning are going to end up with "boomerang kids".

Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Have you ever tried to hold a conversation with your child when s/he is engrossed in some electronic-based activity? It's not easy, is it? Multiply that by 25 or 30 and you get an idea of what it's like in a typical classroom these days. *All* the kids are plugged into something.

Are you, as a parent, checking your child's phone/text records to see when the device is being used? Do you just waggle your finger when you find they've been texting or updating FB statuses all day, or do you confiscate the electronics? In class, I take away cell phones, I take away iPods, I take away hand-held video games, and I've been verbally abused and physically threatened for doing so.

It shouldn't be MY job to teach YOUR child the appropriate time and place for using a phone -- that's YOUR job. However, it falls to me nonetheless -- because if a child is too busy texting to pick up a pencil and do his math assignments, he's not going to pass the class.

And then you're going to blame ME.
At our house electronic devices and games were not turned on during a conversation about school and my son never had texting on his phone at all. His phone was never confiscated at school because out rule was it was turned off during school hours. I never mentioned electronics in my post. I don't think I am the parent you should be addressing with this problem.

Did I check his phone records? Absolutely. The time a friend borrowed it and downloaded a bunch of expensive aps he was responsible for repaying us for them.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
All authority figures r hated
Our mistake is we boomers didn't listen to greatest generation
We infected the rest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching