Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes. As brilliant an idea as the rest of this post. Starve the public school, ignore the correlation between home values and school rating, and *********rself out of your entire home value. BRILLIANT!!
Our district has some of the highest rated schools in the state. Tax measure was voted down in November. They are now cutting the guts out of the very programs that made the schools excel. Class sizes will increase. Teachers are getting lay-off notices. Parents will be charged (first time) for all day K. Language immersion programs may be eliminated.

It's pretty awful. And who suffers? The students.

"A+" rated schools, but not for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We don't see all parents in the same light. Parents, like students, tend to fit into nice little pouches though. We just don't know which one you are until we have to deal with you. We, do, however, assume the worst. It's better to assume the worst and be, pleasantly, surprised than to assume the best and be caught off guard when we're hit between the eyes.

Gosh, how special. What a lovely attitude to approach the school year with...assume the worst of the parents.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Gosh, how special. What a lovely attitude to approach the school year with...assume the worst of the parents.
I cannot say I assume the worse but after assuming the best and getting badly burned I am now very, very cautious.

1. I will not meet with a parent without another staff member present.
2. I make all parent calls on speaker phone with another teacher in the room.
3.I save all emails I receive not just for the school year but until the child, and all their siblings graduate.
4. Even though the kids on my travel teams have my cell phone number, I will not give it to the parents of my actual students. EVER. I have had bad experiences.
5. I have had parents invite me to graduation parties or other events and even when I am very close to the family I am exceedingly nervous to go unless another teacher goes.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historygrad View Post
exactly what games are being played? I will say this at least in my district it is a parent problem..especially when i have teachers that call parents and parents say and i quote, "i know hes bad but i just don't know what to do with him" "Ive told him a million times to do his homework here ..you talk to him" and " hey he is your problem from 8-4, so why are you calling me?" I have been told these things and so yes when there is a behavior issue i look to see how the parent responds..i would say a good 95% of the time when the student does not care, it is because the parent does not care.

As for harassing the parents ..if a person disciplines the child right the first time, then there is no need to go through it again. As for what happened to you, the only thing i can say is that BY LAW we are REQUIRED to report any and all or abuse, otherwise we could lose our jobs AND certification. Are you going to pay my bills? I doubt it.

Are YOU going to pay my legal fees? We lost nearly everything we had due to repeated CPS investigations. My ds was NEVER abused, and all the investigations were RULED OUT. But, we still had to pay a fortune to go through the process, not to mention the mental anguish. My dh suffered 2 heart attacks during that time, and lost a good-paying job. What prompted the DT (dear teachers) to keep making CPS complaints? Any little thing----a tiny scratch on the back of his neck was medical neglect, a small stain on his shirt was imporperly dressed, a bruise the size of a pencil eraser was physical abuse, one day he didn't eat his lunch---said he didn't like it, became nutritional neglect, although the lunch was fine. What started all this crap in the first place?Like I said, my ds had some issues integrating into kindergarten, like many do. I got daily complaints about him, but when I tried to schedule an appointment with the school to discuss the "issues" I was told to wait until the first report card, so we "had something to talk about", yet the daily notes kept coming. I made the big mistake of asking my son be transferred to another teacher, because I simply couldn't work with that teacher. I don't consider sending home daily notes, yet refusing to schedule conferences, to be effective parent-teacher communication.

Well, we got a new teacher, but also the wrath of the school. Like another poster indicated, its all one big clique, and I dared make one of them look bad. Well, they retailated big time.

So, DT, perhaps that's one example of why teachers are "hated?" You "cliques" seem to do everything but teach!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think a lot can be learned from Finland and other societies, but I think we need to be careful about just copying their model just because it works. We need to understand why it works first, and we need to understand why education in general seems to work better in some societies.

I think the real problem is that people in this society are not working together to solve educational problems. There are too many political agendas that are finding their way into the school system, and I think sources of blame can be found on both sides of the political spectrum.

My first culprit would be those god-awful locally-controlled, corrupt, manipulative school boards who are often staffed/occupied by people with very narrow religious and world-view political agendas, and want to use the school board as a venue to brainwash children so that they all conform to their worldview. You know, the ones who go around saying "We need more prayer in school. We need God in school." They're the biggest problem we have. Because they won't leave education alone. It's not enough to trust the education system to teach their children essential knowledge that has been established by the scientific method or classical methods of experimentation; they have to make sure it doesn't teach little Johnny anything that conflicts with their religious and political views. I would start with them first. Don't even worry about teachers unions or anything else until you get these filfthy rodents out of the education system. Only then can you begin to worry about other parts of the education system.

But yes, once you take care of that problem, by all means, let's take a look at everything from whether teachers are doing their jobs to whether administration knows how to run a school. The problem here is that parents, school boards, teachers, and administration are not working together as a team. I think it really starts with school board members and parental activists who use the school system to push a political agenda. If there's going to be a political agenda in our schools, it should be similar to that of the developing countries of the world, who see the school system as a way to germinate the seeds of home-grown talent and seek to use that talent to compete with the rest of the world in a war of intellect. It shouldn't use to cast doubt on scientific findings that show that humans did in fact evolve from a common ancestor and that these same humans are causing the earth to warm and depleting our resources faster than they can be replenished. We can debate such nonsense if we want, but other countries will proceed to leave our children in the dust and laugh at us later.
If you disagree with YOUR local school board, vote them out. What do you care what other cities/counties do with THEIR local school board? Maybe the community wants "the filthy rodents" in office. Maybe what the agenda of the "filthy rodents" is what their community wants?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 PM

Talk about attitudes, I was riding with a friend who happened to be a teacher. (Yes, it happens, some parents actually are good enough to associate with teachers). She got pulled over for speeding, she was going about 50 in a 30 MPH zone. She was highly indigant SHE was pulled over, and kept saying to the cop that she was a TEACHER, therefore, she shouldn't be ticketed. She even indicated the school parking sticker, she was a TEACHER! he gave her the ticket, anyways. Apparently, TEACHERS make rules, but they don't follow them

Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Well said, I totally agree!

If they only spent half the time teaching instead of trying to find new ways to get into the tax payer pocket we might get somewhere. Parents have to pay their own way so why do teachers think they are so much better than those who work 40 or more hours a week. Most of them are just members of a clique who think they can sit in judgement of parents and children when a mirror might serve them better.

Vote no on all property increases they want!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Talk about attitudes, I was riding with a friend who happened to be a teacher. (Yes, it happens, some parents actually are good enough to associate with teachers). She got pulled over for speeding, she was going about 50 in a 30 MPH zone. She was highly indigant SHE was pulled over, and kept saying to the cop that she was a TEACHER, therefore, she shouldn't be ticketed. She even indicated the school parking sticker, she was a TEACHER! he gave her the ticket, anyways. Apparently, TEACHERS make rules, but they don't follow them
We all know that only teachers get speeding tickets!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 PM

Like I said, my ds had some issues I could have shared with the school if they allowed me to do so. They were misjudging his behaviors, all indicative of abuse, also, they wanted to get back at me for sullying their reputations by daring to request another teacher.

They didn't include ME in the process, figured I was some piece of white trash and proceeded accordingly. If only they hadn't jumped to conclusions, but then, they are used to being always right. It might ruin their ego if they actually admitted sometimes the parent knows their own child better than they do

Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
That is not a choice. More often than not, I will be right. As my grandmother used to say, "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst". Sadly, it is rare when I have a child who is causing problems and the parent actually sides with me and helps. I love those parents but they're rare.

I'm sorry but my experience is that acorns do not fall far from the tree. Odds have it if I have problems with your child, I'm going to have problems with you. Between the parents who don't parent and the parents who think their child can do no wrong and the parents who think teachers are always at fault, it's best I brace myself when I call you.

However, you'll be glad to know the opposite happens too. When I have great students, I assume they have great parents. And again, I'm, usually, right. Sorry but acorns don't fall far from the tree. There are annomolies but, most of the time, I can guess correctly what I'm in for when I call home just by what I'm calling home about. I find that kids and parents fit into pretty neat pockets (this is actually human nature and how psychics make their living. You really only need to know a few things about a person to be able to predict a lot and you'll, usually, be right.)

Old 02-23-2012, 03:20 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
No, YOUR FRIEND doesn't follow them. I've never heard of a teacher telling a cop she's a teacher trying to get out of a ticket with the exception of one who thought it might help that she worked in the district (a city known for writing tickets to people just passing through). In fact, I'd think the exact opposite. The way the public views teachers, that I'm a teacher is the LAST thing I'd want the cop to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching