Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,275 times

Advertisements

SO what other careers would be easier for a teacher to transition?

I don't know what will happen a few years from now in the system I'm in, but I've thought about what else I could do if teaching doesn't work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 PM

421 posts, read 2,533,837 times
Dentistry! Go into dentistry, it's a great profession, can't complain! I will always have a job, the recession doesn't affect me one bit.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,099 times
There are some jobs in social services that you can do with a degree in education. However, I don't think that the job is any easier. I have a family member who was a caseworker for about 7 years with CPS. She said that the hours were terrible (lots of mandatory overtime) and the work was hard.

Perhaps you could find a job as a secretary or something. I don't really know.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:46 PM

272 posts, read 730,000 times
A self-motivated person might look into becoming an independent education consultant, something I've considered myself. We know what the administrators want to hear, what they fall for every time, and how their petty prejudices are best pandered to.

Let's do it! You don't have to come up with one original thing. Just glean from the internet.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post

I don't know what will happen a few years from now in the system I'm in, but I've thought about what else I could do if teaching doesn't work out.

Interesting question. I noticed you are also from NJ and now I see why you are asking this. I love teaching but so much is required of us that I don't know how many of us will stay and for how long. I can't imagine what else I would do.

I love to teach, love to plan, love the children- why can't we just teach and teach what we know they'll need. It's very sad that teaching has come to this

Old 02-16-2009, 05:55 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
Dentistry! Go into dentistry, it's a great profession, can't complain! I will always have a job, the recession doesn't affect me one bit.
That would not be an easy transition.

I can't think of anything where you would start with the same pay/benefits. I was thinking maybe realtor, but it would take a lot of time before you would be making much money and you would have to train for the license. I don't know what else the degree could be used for. Maybe working for a publishing company? That would be tough too because I would guess it would be in sales.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,450 times
Human Resources is always a stable field to go into...good luck w/ your endeavors.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post

There's nothing easy about doing a career transition, but the closest thing that I could think of that could utilize your teaching credentials would be a facilitator.

The most important thing for you is to market your skill set and find what you'll like doing for the long-term. If you're a math teacher then maybe accounting might interest you, or maybe you're an english teacher and technical writing may be want you really want to do.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Go back for you MLS and become a librarian.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Write. School kids need an advocate - a voice in Washington. Kids have been terribly dumbed down in the last seventy years. It is time to reverse the course and teach basics for eight years. Knowing the capitol of Wisconsin serves little purpose in real life. All it does it prove a kid can memorize useless information. Understanding the hypotenuse does nothing to improve grammer, spelling or English usage.

I listened to an interview wtih Gore Vidal over the weekend on C-Soan's Book TV. One of the things he tried to convey is that American children know nothing about American history. He also said, "Every six year old I met said something smart to day. I never met a sixteen year old whot had anything intelligent to say. He aske, "What happened in those ten years?"

Just my two cents and a little "food for thought."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching